collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Green Bay Packers Super Bowl Thread  (Read 8415 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: Green Bay Packers Super Bowl Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 02:21:08 PM »

I like football more than basketball.  I have been a Packer fan all my life, but an MU fan really only since my teenage years.

+1

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
To the steelers defense, the song didn't even need to be changed.

The original was written about Pittsburgh, after all.

Seems like the guy has a pretty interesting background. Military kid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiz_Khalifa

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
This is a tough one to pick as I am a lifelong Packer and MU fan.

I have seen a Super Bowl championship and a final four run.  Never saw the 77 championship, too young.

While it is a close race, the fact that this Super Bowl means so much more (with Rodgers vs Favre and all) I will pick the Super Bowl this time.

If it turns out to be a happy ending, I will be in the boat for a MU championship over a Super Bowl, but till then, Go Pack Go!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 12:50:04 PM »
Football is a joke.

I'd trade the Packers being in the Superbowl for getting Marquette into the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tourney.  Not even close. 

My favorite teams:
1.  Marquette Basketball
2.  Any other team that facilitates social drinking

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
Football is a joke.

Now that is a joke.

Most popular sport in America, and its not even close.

Basketball is second however.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Now that is a joke.

Most popular sport in America, and its not even close.

The most popular spectator sport in America is NASCAR.  I think that tells you everything you need to know about American sports fans.

Basketball is more popular worldwide than Football.  Soccer is a significantly better sport that football as far as enjoying action and athleticism.

Why would I watch a game that is 2.5 hours long with commercials that has a total of 11 minutes of action (unless I'm drinking/drunk)?  It really is an odd sport when you think about it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 01:23:05 PM »
Oh, are the Packers in the super bowl?   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »
.  Soccer is a significantly better sport that football as far as enjoying action 

+1

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
Wow, I would take another final 4 run in a second over any GB victory.  I am quite surprised more dont feel the same here.  Actually I am quite disappointed.

If you know anything about the culture of Wisconsin and how the Packers are a way of life for so many starting at an early age, then you shouldn't be surprised at all.

The final four run was a thrill for me, but still comes in second to the Packers.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »
Why would I watch a game that is 2.5 hours long with commercials that has a total of 11 minutes of action (unless I'm drinking/drunk)?  It really is an odd sport when you think about it.

You obviously were not a quarterback. There is ALWAYS something going on, some just don't know where to see it. You look at people at the line of scrimmage and think they are "milling" about and someone else recognizes that the QB is reading what he sees and playing it against their called play. He barks a couple of fake signals to see if the defense exposes anything in their shifts, then motion-necessary for placement of players, then a small route change and finally you can get ready to hike the ball for "real action."

Soccer is full paced at all time, sure. How long are people "milling" about for throw ins, goal kicks, free kicks, corner's, celebrations, arguments, etc.  

Don't play the "neanderthal" card on Football fans because you are incapable of understanding the intricacies.

That being said, College BBall is my favorite sport to watch and would rather see MU win a championship than the Packers another Super Bowl.
Marquette University, Spring '08

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »

Soccer is a significantly better sport that football as far as enjoying action and athleticism.

Was this supposed to be in teal?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »
As far as MU vs. Packers, for me it's MU hands down. No question about it.

I love the Packers, don't get me wrong. But I can't watch the rest of the NFL. Don't really care enough to spend 3.5 hours watching a game that's not Green Bay.

My three sports are baseball, basketball, and soccer. Football is a fairly distant fourth.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2011, 02:25:17 PM »
Soccer is a significantly better sport that football as far as enjoying action and athleticism.

haha...now that is funny!

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »
In my lifetime the number of Packers' Super Bowl appearances will now be even with the number of MU Final Fours.  I'd take an MU Final Four over a Packers Super Bowl Championship without question.  Big fan of both teams, but a much bigger fan of MU hoops.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 03:39:55 PM »

Good grief!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »
In my lifetime the number of Packers' Super Bowl appearances will now be even with the number of MU Final Fours.  I'd take an MU Final Four over a Packers Super Bowl Championship without question.  Big fan of both teams, but a much bigger fan of MU hoops.

You were either born between 1968-1973 or 1998-2002.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2011, 03:46:43 PM »
Very impressive for a Friday afternoon!  1968

You were either born between 1968-1973 or 1998-2002.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2011, 05:51:39 PM »
You obviously were not a quarterback. There is ALWAYS something going on, some just don't know where to see it. You look at people at the line of scrimmage and think they are "milling" about and someone else recognizes that the QB is reading what he sees and playing it against their called play. He barks a couple of fake signals to see if the defense exposes anything in their shifts, then motion-necessary for placement of players, then a small route change and finally you can get ready to hike the ball for "real action."

Soccer is full paced at all time, sure. How long are people "milling" about for throw ins, goal kicks, free kicks, corner's, celebrations, arguments, etc. 

Don't play the "neanderthal" card on Football fans because you are incapable of understanding the intricacies.

Getting a little defensive over a sport that a random guy on the Internet dislikes, aren't we?  :P

I fully understand football.  It's boring.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »
As someone who has played both soccer and football.  soccer is more fun to play.

As someone who has watched both soccer and football.   football is more fun to watch.

i  appreciate soccer and can enjoy MU and Fulham games but so far
only way soccer is more exciting is when national pride is infused into the game. 

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 07:18:02 PM »
Getting a little defensive over a sport that a random guy on the Internet dislikes, aren't we?  :P

Soccer might be the most boring sport to watch ever.  A bunch of little weenies running around and flopping, with a goal maybe scored every 30 minutes?  No thanks, I'll only watch if national pride is on the line or somebody I personally know is playing.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »
Soccer might be the most boring sport to watch ever.  A bunch of little weenies running around and flopping, with a goal maybe scored every 30 minutes?  No thanks, I'll only watch if national pride is on the line or somebody I personally know is playing.

'MUURRRCA!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
NASCAR is NOT more popular than football.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »

I hear that argument a lot.  I get a bit defensive on occasion, especially after reading that article. 

Most people that say its boring don't know what to look for.  So I was pointing out just a few things you may be missing if you only believe there is 11 minutes of action in an NFL game. 

You dislike is a matter of preference. 

I just don't see the point of posting it on a board that is talking about football and watching their team in the Super Bowl. 
Marquette University, Spring '08

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 09:41:59 PM »
You dislike is a matter of preference. 

True.

I'll be cheering on the Packers this Sunday just like I have all season :)

I just don't see the point of posting it on a board that is talking about football and watching their team in the Super Bowl. 

I started ranting, my fault.  My only explanation is that at some point a convo started if you'd rather have a Packer Super Bowl or an MU Final Four... and then I started poking fun about NASCAR and soccer.  I dunno.  Just acting like a jerk on the Internet I suppose :(

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2011, 11:01:57 PM »
Go pack go!

feedback