[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Williams' classy move  (Read 3098 times)

jeffers19

• Walk-On
Buzz Williams' classy move
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »
I'm a Louisville native and lifelong Cardinals fan. I'm posting an excerpt from a column in the Louisville Courier-Journal yesterday (Sunday). It's a little long, but is necessary to make the point:

....And then there was Patrick Bouldin. The die-hard U of L fan always watched Marquette games with his friend and MU alum Doug Burchett, until Burchett died of brain cancer in 2009 at age 38. On Sunday, Bouldin was in the KFC Yum! Center with Burchett's 7-year-old son, Ryan.
Bouldin has seen all the U ofL-Marquette thrillers, the Jerry Smith, Reece Gaines and Francisco Garcia last-second heroics, as well as those of Dameon Mason. He watched Steve Novak and Dwyane Wade break his heart. But he had never experienced anything like watching his beloved Cardinals come back, with a 7-year-old beside him tearing up. Bouldin had a confession to make. As much as he loves U of L, he wasn't cheering the comeback. “I was cheering for MU for Ryan's sake, telling him things like Terrence Jennings was a bad free-throw shooter (as he then did his best Milt Wagner impression),” Bouldin wrote. “Ryan quietly hid his face in the sleeve of his jacket and cried as Uof L won and the crowd went nuts.” The story has a nice ending, though. Bouldin had arranged for Marquette coach Buzz Williams to meet Ryan after the game, and after such a heartbreaking loss, he worried that there was no way that would happen. But afterward, despite it all, here came Williams to shake Ryan's hand, smiling and talking to the two, even arranging for him to have pictures made with Marquette players.

I have no opinion on your coach (other than he's entertaining), but, given the the loss he and his team just endured, he showed himself to be a first-class person worthy of your great university.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Buzz Williams' classy move
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:51:25 PM »
Way to go, Buzz!  :D
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:12:25 PM »
I was so angry and down after that game I wasn't fit company for anybody - and I stayed that way for a long time. Buzz had to be dying but he sucked it up and exhibited pure class and humanity. That he could be so thoughtful and such a good example to his team under such difficult circumstances should make every Warrior fan proud.

Now let's return to your regularly scheduled programming - second guessing his recruiting, use of timeouts, plays out of timeouts, end of game coaching, defense of the 3 point shot, defense of the two point shot, rebounding principles, player rotations, substitution patterns, lack of big men, insistance on non traditionals with low basketball IQs, etc.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:39:33 PM »
Lenny, you forgot to include who's going to transfer and who's getting cut. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:38:03 PM »
Lenny, you forgot to include who's going to transfer and who's getting cut. 

and free throw shooting practice

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:30:35 PM »
I'm a Louisville native and lifelong Cardinals fan. I'm posting an excerpt from a column in the Louisville Courier-Journal yesterday (Sunday). It's a little long, but is necessary to make the point:

....And then there was Patrick Bouldin. The die-hard U of L fan always watched Marquette games with his friend and MU alum Doug Burchett, until Burchett died of brain cancer in 2009 at age 38. On Sunday, Bouldin was in the KFC Yum! Center with Burchett's 7-year-old son, Ryan.
Bouldin has seen all the U ofL-Marquette thrillers, the Jerry Smith, Reece Gaines and Francisco Garcia last-second heroics, as well as those of Dameon Mason. He watched Steve Novak and Dwyane Wade break his heart. But he had never experienced anything like watching his beloved Cardinals come back, with a 7-year-old beside him tearing up. Bouldin had a confession to make. As much as he loves U of L, he wasn't cheering the comeback. “I was cheering for MU for Ryan's sake, telling him things like Terrence Jennings was a bad free-throw shooter (as he then did his best Milt Wagner impression),” Bouldin wrote. “Ryan quietly hid his face in the sleeve of his jacket and cried as Uof L won and the crowd went nuts.” The story has a nice ending, though. Bouldin had arranged for Marquette coach Buzz Williams to meet Ryan after the game, and after such a heartbreaking loss, he worried that there was no way that would happen. But afterward, despite it all, here came Williams to shake Ryan's hand, smiling and talking to the two, even arranging for him to have pictures made with Marquette players.

I have no opinion on your coach (other than he's entertaining), but, given the the loss he and his team just endured, he showed himself to be a first-class person worthy of your great university.

Poor kid :( can you imagine dying at 38 from anything much less a neuro tumor?