[Today at 03:16:25 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[June 05, 2024, 02:41:31 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[June 05, 2024, 08:19:01 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[June 05, 2024, 06:23:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Man, the Big Ten truly is the best conference teaching life lessons  (Read 13388 times)

Marquette84

• All American
Re: Man, the Big Ten truly is the best conference teaching life lessons
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 09:19:07 PM »
Or, you know, established contact with (see: harassed) a woman he was legally prohibited from interacting with as a result of his own prior indiscretions.

Just as, you know, Ashely Smithwick deserved to be expelled from the Lee County schools because she brought a paring knife to school, even though she was legally prohibited from doing so.  Zero tolerance is zero tolerance.

No one will argue that the reader of that note had a legal right to have Trevor hauled off to jail.  Zero tolerance is zero tolerance.

But unlike the legal world, where there was no discretion as to whether that particular message warranted a night in jail, Tubby has the ability to use his own discretion to determine if further punishment is warranted.  

After reading the note, I can understand why he reached the conclusion he did.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
Just as, you know, Ashely Smithwick deserved to be expelled from the Lee County schools because she brought a paring knife to school, even though she was legally prohibited from doing so.  Zero tolerance is zero tolerance.

No one will argue that the reader of that note had a legal right to have Trevor hauled off to jail.  Zero tolerance is zero tolerance.

But unlike the legal world, where there was no discretion as to whether that particular message warranted a night in jail, Tubby has the ability to use his own discretion to determine if further punishment is warranted.  

There is hope out there
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 09:23:14 PM »
So a cop or lawyer is going to tell you if a man should be allowed to play a game of basketball? Rather than the guys who have been around the game there whole lives and seen what has and hasnt gotten people suspended throughout the years?

Lots of winners on this board.

Thanks buddy nice to see the road you take when everyone doesn't agree with you.

No I would not consult them about the decision to suspend him or not.  My comments were more directed at the crime itself.  My opinion on the decision to suspend or not to suspend is not one that requires much thought.  If he would have violated the order by showing up at her house, class, place of work would that be cause to suspend him?  He broke the law, it was serious enough that police arrested him and put him in jail.

If they would have been playing Iowa tonight, I bet Trevor would have been in a sweater.

As I said before we can agree to disagree.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 09:26:09 PM »
Thanks buddy nice to see the road you take when everyone doesn't agree with you.

No I would not consult them about the decision to suspend him or not.  My comments were more directed at the crime itself.  My opinion on the decision to suspend or not to suspend is not one that requires much thought.  If he would have violated the order by showing up at her house, class, place of work would that be cause to suspend him?  He broke the law, it was serious enough that police arrested him and put him in jail.

If they would have been playing Iowa tonight, I bet Trevor would have been in a sweater.

As I said before we can agree to disagree.

Yes, if he showed up to her in person that would not only be twice as dumb but also suspension worthy because he would be in a position to cause harm or put her at risk, and no one would know his true intentions while with the note you can see his intentions by simply being literate.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
I bet Trevor would have been in a sweater.

Not sure what he wore in the tank but my guess he was doing some major sweating while locked up with all the gang...do they take showers in the morning before or after the bologna sandwich?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 09:26:25 PM »
Are you entirely certain that the "real knowledge" the ESPN personalities had to base their opinion on whether or not he should play wasn't actually just the knowledge that their network was televising Minnesota's game tonight?

I didn't hear their explanation.  Just asking.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 09:27:29 PM »
Are you entirely certain that the "real knowledge" the ESPN personalities had to base their opinion on whether or not he should play wasn't actually just the knowledge that their network was televising Minnesota's game tonight?

Digger Phelps flat out has access to the "real knowledge"

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:18 PM »

And that was a good game.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:41 PM »
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36504/ncaa-bb-w-brennan

go to the bottom

Im not the only one who finds it strange

CroquetJAH

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
I'm sure it would also be ok if Trevor went inside her home.  The no contact agreement be damned, so long as the door was unlocked he would be safe in assuming she wanted him there.

Tell me how ESPN analysts have "real knowledge" of this situation that anyone else doesn't?  Because they're on television and understand the game of basketball they can tell us when to discipline or not discipline players who get arrested?  Perhaps they could revise their titles to say "ESPN College Basketball Analyst and Ethicist".
According to one ESPN Ethicist, she should have laid back and enjoyed it.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 09:36:58 PM »
Sage advice from EB: Other note to the guys out there: If a woman files a restraining order against you, she isn't playing hard to get. Let it go.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 09:37:32 PM »
Her problems? Idk maybe whatever they were that Trevor wrote to her making sure she was doing alright. Did you even read the message he wrote?
I believe I read the letter...he was congratulating her on graduating...she must have tons of problems and I bet Trevor is just the type of person that could help her with those problems. My guess is:
- Trevor knew he should not contact her and he did anyway.
- Trevor knew he would be arrested if she turned him in for doing so.
- Trevor decided to put his coach and team in a terrible situation.
- Most abusive males will try to reconcile a relationship only to repeat abuse.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 09:39:44 PM »

C'mon man. Don't act like those situations are even remotely similar. That girl's predicament was a result of ignorance of the law. Mbakwe acted in defiance of it (unless you're going to argue he didn't know he was violating the court order?). Can I empathize with the situation? Yeah. I get the other side of the argument. But how can you make the assumption that his intentions were innocent? It's easy for him to claim it was a kind hearted gesture but who's to know?

Also, HH32: are you really citing opinions expressed on ESPN as authoritative? Seriously? Journalistic integrity and objectivity are not words that come to mind when I think about the worldwide leader. Their tendency toward bias and inaccuracy have been evident on numerous occasions. Some talking head spouting an opinion (or failing to) does not equate to an exonerating authority.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:17:45 PM by Jam Chowder »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 09:40:26 PM »
Yes, if he showed up to her in person that would not only be twice as dumb but also suspension worthy because he would be in a position to cause harm or put her at risk, and no one would know his true intentions while with the note you can see his intentions by simply being literate.

You could simply be literate and get that out of the message, or you could have a brain, in which case you'd realize why they ban ALL contact.  Get a clue.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 09:41:52 PM »
Also, HH32: are you really citing opinions expressed on ESPN as authoritative? Seriously? Journalistic integrity an objectivity are not words that come to mind when I think about the worldwide leader. There tendency toward bias and inaccuracy have been evident on numerous occasions.

Doug Gottlieb lie? He is as honest as the day is long! Ask his roommate from South Bend!

MU Ted

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 09:44:18 PM »
HH, sleep it off

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 09:48:06 PM »
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36504/ncaa-bb-w-brennan

go to the bottom

Im not the only one who finds it strange

Trevor Mbakwe (Minnesota)Seriously though, if you're gonna file a restraining order against me then why don't you block me on Facebook? Why are we still "friends"?
Eamonn Brennan  (3:36 PM)This is an excellent question, and one of the first things I thought of when the news came down last night. If this woman had blocked Trevor, he wouldn't have been able to send her a message, let alone post on her wall, right? I don't know. I try to stay away from Facebook, so I might be wrong. But the whole thing is profoundly strange.

This is moronic if this is the justification for why he did it, "because she hadn't blocked me."

Your honor, it's her fault not mine.  She knew that I knew where she lived, but she didn't move.  I had to go over there...  This arrest is Trevor's fault, and his alone.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »
This arrest is Trevor's fault, and his alone.

No. I think we all know that deep down this is all the fault of Tanned Tommy

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »
It was her fault he wasn't blocked on FB anyways. Mbakwe didnt violate a single team rule either.

Did you really say that? Wow.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »
No. I think we all know that deep down this is all the fault of Tanned Tommy

Haha.  Duh.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 10:10:41 PM »
Did you really say that? Wow.

Only person dumber than Trevor is the broad.
Did you really say that also? Wow.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2011, 10:23:22 PM »
Did you really say that also? Wow.

Wow is right. Yeesh. Cura personalis, eh?

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2011, 10:45:28 PM »

C'mon man. Don't act like those situations are even remotely similar. That girl's predicament was a result of ignorance of the law. Mbakwe acted in defiance of it (unless you're going to argue he didn't know he was violating the court order?). Can I empathize with the situation? Yeah. I get the other side of the argument. But how can you make the assumption that his intentions were innocent? It's easy for him to claim it was a kind hearted gesture but who's to know?

Also, HH32: are you really citing opinions expressed on ESPN as authoritative? Seriously? Journalistic integrity an objectivity are not words that come to mind when I think about the worldwide leader. There tendency toward bias and inaccuracy have been evident on numerous occasions. Some talking head spouting an opinion (or failing to) does not equate to an exonerating authority.

Of course they're similar.  Both are zero-tolerance situations under the law, and both provide an opportunity for others to apply their own experience and judgement as to whether the actions warranted further sanctions.

But how can you make the assumption that his intentions were innocent? It's easy for him to claim it was a kind hearted gesture but who's to know?

So, guilty until proven innocent?  If there is even the slightest possibility that Trevor's intentions were not innocent, its wrong for Tubby to conclude that they were?

Look, I'm not making any assumption about his intentions.

I'm merely saying that after reading the note myself, I can understand why Tubby might conclude that no further punishment is warranted.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »
A couple of thoughts:

1)  Over the last few years, ESPN analysts haven't always shown that they're particularly reliable sources of information when it comes to boundary issues with women.  They've had their share of sexual harassment issues in Bristol.

2)  Many harassers/stalkers are extremely polite and cordial.  If you're trying to intimidate someone (and I have no idea if Trevor was), simply defying the court order sends an ominous message that you will not abide by the TRO.  That's one reason that such orders say "no contact" instead of "only have contact if you're going to be nice.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 08:15:18 AM »

Really? How on earth can you or anyone know what his true intentions were? Do you know what problems the girl was having? Do you know what led to the no contact order in the first place? Do you know how he thought those comments would be received? Do you know how they were received?  How do you know they didn't cause her to feel at risk? Was he using teal?

Clearly she wanted this guy out of her life. He obviously didn't get or accept that aspect. Even if he was simply trying to be nice, he didn't think he should have to abide by the order, because after all, he was just trying to do something nice, so who cares what she thinks, right?

Was there any ill intent, or anything nefarious about writing that note? Probably not, but you don't know that anymore than I know that there was.

feedback