'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Just returned from Pitt  (Read 9897 times)

Marquette65

• Starter
Just returned from Pitt
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »
Took some time to read the board so I would not repeat. There seems to be an attitude of " well we expected to lose so its no big deal".  That SHOULD NEVER be the attitude.  MU got its butt kicked which should raise and does raise many interesting questions such as" does MU have BEAST caliber players and how many? Which is another way of saying how many would start for Pitt? Where is the talked about depth of this team? Play 8 guys- one of which has decided he is not even going to look for a shot

Sure TV didn't show but BUZZ just ripped JC and Chris O a new one twice. It was brutal on both occasions.  BUZZ was red in the face both times and continued the blasting even after the time out when they returned to the bench.  When does a coach's intensity wear thin and the kids stop listening? ( that is not a rip on Buzz just raising the question).

This team showed no life, no zipp. MU lacks a floor leader badly

NoCheese

• Scholarship Player
Re: Just returned from Pitt
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »
We played a talented team that starts three seniors and two juniors. We never gave up and they shot lights out from 3 point range. What the hell do you expect?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:43:02 AM »
keep a team from shooting 70%.  that's a pretty good start.

start handing out bloody noses on lay ups, do something.

Buzz tries to teach D, i have no doubt.  it just looks like his  teaching doesn't get across.

Unlike a Bo where you see excellent help D damn near every game they play, no matter the opponent.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
start handing out bloody noses on lay ups, do something.

I agree with this.  When that big ugly guy got the ball rather then let him dunk, grab his arm before he even gets the ball up.  His FT's were terrible and others besides Crowder had fouls to give.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 12:38:45 PM »
I figured out what is going wrong.  Marquette65 watching the games has jinxed us.  The facts.
Marquette65 Watched: Pitts, Vanderbilt: Losses
Marquette65 Absent: Rutgers: Win.
What more need I say?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:12:05 PM by NCMUFan »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:20:14 PM »
MU got its butt kicked

Please explain more.  I saw some bad defense, but hardly a butt-kicking in terms of the game as a whole.  Nobody is excusing a loss, but well, if you expected to win then you haven't seen Pitt enough this year.  As I stated days before the game, we needed them to have a bad game, and we needed to have a good game. 

Fortunately, we had a good game offensively, but our defense couldn't force them into a bad game.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
Fortunately, we had a good game offensively, but our defense couldn't force them anyone into a bad game.

fixed
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 07:33:01 PM »
Took some time to read the board so I would not repeat. There seems to be an attitude of " well we expected to lose so its no big deal".  That SHOULD NEVER be the attitude.  MU got its butt kicked which should raise and does raise many interesting questions such as" does MU have BEAST caliber players and how many? Which is another way of saying how many would start for Pitt? Where is the talked about depth of this team? Play 8 guys- one of which has decided he is not even going to look for a shot

Sure TV didn't show but BUZZ just ripped JC and Chris O a new one twice. It was brutal on both occasions.  BUZZ was red in the face both times and continued the blasting even after the time out when they returned to the bench.  When does a coach's intensity wear thin and the kids stop listening? ( that is not a rip on Buzz just raising the question).

There were whispers that Buzz lost this team more then a month ago.

NoCheese

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 07:38:25 PM »
Get on the bus or get run over by the bus

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
"There were whispers that Buzz lost this team more then a month ago."
Please elaborate.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »
No one here ever seen Frank Martin coach (who Buzz has a very good relationship with)?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »

I get your concern, but how many sports do you watch? This criticism can be applied to nearly EVERY team in sports that is concerned about their team.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:25:13 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »
Frank doesn't have to worry about defense because he just buys a bunch of bigs. 

Ain't nobody going to Kansas State to play b-ball unless they're on a payroll.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 08:35:17 PM »

I thought they did...losing to Pitt. by 8 at their place isn't the end of the world.  Do they lack a leader?  Maybe, but if they can walk into Pitt and show no life/zip and only lose by 8 they should be able to win the NCAA tourney if they just show some life/zip on a neutral court...definitely won't lose a home game.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
  Unlike a Bo where you see excellent help D damn near every game they play, no matter the opponent.

If you want a Bo type team...then compare offense and defense.  UW surely plays better defense, but they recruit for defense and they play offense for defense.  I don't want Buzz to play that type of ball.  Do I think he can improve MU's defense, no doubt, but UW's FG% and PPG are far from stellar.  According to your logic Bo should learn how to coach offense from Buzz.  If it were only that easy...

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »
substitute in coach K, Turgeon, whoever.

We're 94th in the country.....that's atrocious.  You can play up tempo and efficient offense and not need to be a mess, giving up lay ups, WIDE open threes on D.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 05:33:14 AM »

We're 94th in the country.....that's atrocious.  You can play up tempo and efficient offense and not need to be a mess, giving up lay ups, WIDE open threes on D.
It all goes back to the same thing over and over again.  We need big people who can play basketball.  We stretch to harrass the 3 and we get killed on the boards.  We pack it in to give our big people rebounding help and we give up the open 3.

I will say our problems are compounded by Buzz's defensive system with constant switching.  Our big men are often trapping 25 feet from the basket and we subsequently get beat for easy shots by teams that can pass the ball (which is pretty much everyone we play from now on).
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Galway03

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 08:24:01 AM »
Just perhaps----scout/game plan--Defense way to passive. Pitt missed 7 shots in 2nd half, got 4 O boards and shot 65% ???? Lucky to be within 8. If your going to sag-ya better rebound.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 08:37:47 AM »

Give it up already.  The team has been playing its best basketball in the last month.  Haven't seen the team quit on Buzz, or in a game.  The whispers you refer to - I'm sure - are from those fellow Tom Crean fanboys.  Speaking of which, how are things going at Indiana currently?  6 losses in a row.  Most impressive win thus far over Evansville. 

If you are going to make assinine comments like the above, at least make sure the on court evidence suggests as much.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »
"There were whispers that Buzz lost this team more then a month ago."
Please elaborate.

Conference call between Golden, Chicos, Willie, and nomorebuycks. All very inside, all very hush hush.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 09:52:46 AM »
Even the Miami Heat were .500 for their first 20 or so games.   Building chemistry between a bunch of guys who haven't played together before takes time.   They are getting there.   And the one thing that can't be complained about is effort and hustle.   Just have to get them efforting and hustling as one on defense.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »
Frank doesn't have to worry about defense because he just buys a bunch of bigs.  

Ain't nobody going to Kansas State to play b-ball unless they're on a payroll.

Wow, you know absolutely nothing about Kansas State. Frank doesnt worry about D? Thats laughable. Thanks for the lack of any actual insight.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 09:55:27 AM »

Conference call between Golden, Chicos, Willie, and nomorebuycks. All very inside, all very hush hush.
Sorry Lenny. I did not particpate in any conference call. I do remember a post about Buzz having lost the team. I do not remember who posted it. I don't know if Buzz lost the team--I think almost all of them are still there, except Reggie.

On a related matter, I do understand what the monicker Nomorebuycks implies, but can anybody enlighten us on what Morecowbells implies?

I sure hope we kick ND's ass tonight.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 10:01:11 AM »
you can only stretch a rubber so far before she breaks-buzz better be careful cuz it could snap right back in to his face.  i like buzz a lot BUT his constant screaming...some guys can handle it others, not so good.  i think the same happened with crean-diener and a few others

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 10:02:18 AM »
.  The team has been playing its best basketball in the last month.  Haven't seen the team quit on Buzz, or in a game. 

Not sure that I agree that we have played our best basketball in past month. We are 4-3 duting that time, with all 3 losses against quality opponents, and the 4 wins were: 3 against cupcakes, and 1 against a middle of pack BEast team this year, West Va.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »
.  The team has been playing its best basketball in the last month.  Haven't seen the team quit on Buzz, or in a game. 

Not sure that I agree that we have played our best basketball in past month. We are 4-3 duting that time, with all 3 losses against quality opponents, and the 4 wins were: 3 against cupcakes, and 1 against a middle of pack BEast team this year, West Va.

When were we playing better then?

Our offense was stellar against Pitt.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »
you can only stretch a rubber so far before she breaks-buzz better be careful cuz it could snap right back in to his face.  i like buzz a lot BUT his constant screaming...some guys can handle it others, not so good.  i think the same happened with crean-diener and a few others

I agree. There is always a balancing act between negative and positve reinforcement. Too much screaming and it looses its effect. It is why some coaches have to switch teams every so often, after a while the players tune it out and don't respond. Although you can probably get away with it more at the college level because of the turn over. I hope buzz mixes in a good dose of positive reinforcement as well.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 10:18:34 AM »
This is one of, if not most pathetic strings I have ever read on this board.  Buzz has lost the team?  Hope Buzz provides some positive with all the negative? etc etc.  Pathetic and ignorant.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »
This is one of, if not most pathetic strings I have ever read on this board.  Buzz has lost the team?  Hope Buzz provides some positive with all the negative? etc etc.  Pathetic and ignorant.

I don't think it is ignorant at all. If you don't think there are coaches who lose their players then you are ignorant.

I do not think Buzz has lost his players. I have always been a big buzz supporter and want to see him succeed, but there are some players who do not respond to too much screaming. Good coaches know the right dose. I am not saying buzz is dosen't know the right dose, but based on his intensity, I hope he does.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 10:31:01 AM »

must of had a bad weekend did ya-nothing wrong with this topic.  i believe the best coaches realize their limitations and know which players they can ride and those they cannot.  i hope buzz sees this.  don't see coach k blowin blood vessels all over the sidelines when someones shoes come untied

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 10:32:48 AM »
I don't think it is ignorant at all. If you don't think there are coaches who lose their players then you are ignorant.

I do not think Buzz has lost his players. I have always been a big buzz supporter and want to see him succeed, but there are some players who do not respond to too much screaming. Good coaches know the right dose. I am not saying buzz is dosen't know the right dose, but based on his intensity, I hope he does.

right on hairy!! 

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »
must of had a bad weekend did ya-nothing wrong with this topic.  i believe the best coaches realize their limitations and know which players they can ride and those they cannot.  i hope buzz sees this.  don't see coach k blowin blood vessels all over the sidelines when someones shoes come untied

What? Coach K has delivered plenty of frothy tongue lashings on national television. He kinda goes nuts-you've never seen one? He delivered one when Marquette made a run against his team in November...his team responded.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 11:05:04 AM »
When were we playing better then?

Our offense was stellar against Pitt.
Maybe when we were 7-2 with two close losses to Duke and Gonzaga. Just trying to put things in perspective.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »
What? Coach K has delivered plenty of frothy tongue lashings on national television. He kinda goes nuts-you've never seen one? He delivered one when Marquette made a run against his team in November...his team responded.

He did just yesterday against Maryland and the team responded.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 11:43:57 AM »

I know coaches lose players...but also as a coach myself I can almost guarantee u coaches much more rarely lose players they want to stick around. 

More importantly, the posts did not state and i did not quote any quotes that said Buzz had lost a player...i quoted "buzz has lost the team"  and stated that was ignorant.  I also quoted some moronic statement of something like " i hope buzz isnt always negative"  ...hey mope you ever watched MU revealed or watched or listened to Buzz talk  sure he gets up into his players....but my guess is 95% of what comes out of his mouth is teaching, encouragin, and the like. 

You think Buzz has lost JAe? Joe?, chris?, Van?, DB or DJO?, and so ON?  " buzz has lost the team"?  absolutely ignorant!!

" buzz is always negative"  even more ignorant. 

Did Buzz lose Smith Clearly!!  Too bad for Smith.  Will Buzz continue to lose players that dont buy into his culture?  yes, folks this is a good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »

again, i like buzz-hope he sprinkles in all the above to let his players know, he's the boss and there is some coach-player love.  sure i've seen coach k lose it, but he still has a voice after 800 wins too(or is it 900?)

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »
I know coaches lose players...but also as a coach myself I can almost guarantee u coaches much more rarely lose players they want to stick around. 

More importantly, the posts did not state and i did not quote any quotes that said Buzz had lost a player...i quoted "buzz has lost the team"  and stated that was ignorant.  I also quoted some moronic statement of something like " i hope buzz isnt always negative"  ...hey mope you ever watched MU revealed or watched or listened to Buzz talk  sure he gets up into his players....but my guess is 95% of what comes out of his mouth is teaching, encouragin, and the like. 

You think Buzz has lost JAe? Joe?, chris?, Van?, DB or DJO?, and so ON?  " buzz has lost the team"?  absolutely ignorant!!

" buzz is always negative"  even more ignorant. 

Did Buzz lose Smith Clearly!!  Too bad for Smith.  Will Buzz continue to lose players that dont buy into his culture?  yes, folks this is a good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you are right and i hope you are right. All I am saying is that buzz is intense as hell, competitive and by his own admission eccentric. Those can be good things, but i think there is a line that can be crossed. I don't think he has crossed it, just hoping he won't. I never said he lost the team or is always negative, clearly he is not.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 12:46:16 PM »
Go back and read the Jae interview when he discussed how challenging the adjustment to Buzz was.   But then again, read every interview with every player that hasn't left about how much they appreciate Buzz and how much he cares about them.   I think they feel the love, as well as the yelling. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
Give it up already.  The team has been playing its best basketball in the last month.  Haven't seen the team quit on Buzz, or in a game.  The whispers you refer to - I'm sure - are from those fellow Tom Crean fanboys.  Speaking of which, how are things going at Indiana currently?  6 losses in a row.  Most impressive win thus far over Evansville. 

If you are going to make assinine comments like the above, at least make sure the on court evidence suggests as much.

Just because a coach loses a team doesn't mean they'll quit. And a coach losing a team in college is not a surprise at all. Al lost teams. Hank lost teams. Deane lost teams. Crean lost his best teams. They all come back eventually as long as you're not Mississippi State. We've heard these stories over and over again.

I don't think MU is playing their best basketball but they certainly aren't in a bad spot. I've been optimistic that this team can play with the majority of major conference teams this season. Still think they finish top half of the conference and so long as they get to 11 wins they'll have a shot to continue the run.

On a side note, the constant "Crean fanboy" line of attack makes you look silly. It shows that the idea bank is empty.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 02:08:39 PM »
Still waiting for those whispers on how Buzz lost this team...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »
Still waiting for those whispers on how Buzz lost this team...

The reality is that there isn't any merit to those whispers...beyond them being manufactured in the minds of a select few.

On a side note, the constant "Crean fanboy" line of attack makes you look silly. It shows that the idea bank is empty.

No more silly than those who attack the Buzz fanboys, or those who make crypitc statements such as things making them squirmish, or hearing "whispers" of Buzz losing the team, etc.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »
No more silly than those who attack the Buzz fanboys, or those who make crypitc statements such as things making them squirmish, or hearing "whispers" of Buzz losing the team, etc.

So you are admitting that your attacks are silly?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »
The reality is that there isn't any merit to those whispers...beyond them being manufactured in the minds of a select few.

Ah, what's the point anymore. I can't, nor want, to interact with your utter douchey-ness.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »
Ah, what's the point anymore. I can't, nor want, to interact with your utter douchey-ness.
The feeling is entirely mutual, and I don't even have a stake in this. 

If you don't like being called out for not responding when you get challenged after making a ridiculous comment, stop making ridiculous comments. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 04:26:58 PM »
So you are admitting that your attacks are silly?

Yes - I will admit some of my attacks are silly - though borne out of responding to far sillier posts.  Kind of the old: for every action, there is a reaction - maxim.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2011, 05:06:45 PM »

::)

I've never met Golden, Willie or nomorebuycks (nor spoken to them) in my life.  Personally, I think "nomorebuycks" username is uncalled for.   Let's get some more things straight, I don't think Buzz has lost this team at all, they play very hard for him.

Any other pearls of wisdom from your mouth today?

GOLDY

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »

Still think Buzz lost this team?

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2011, 08:13:51 PM »

Its buycks team now
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2011, 09:09:05 PM »

::)

I've never met Golden, Willie or nomorebuycks (nor spoken to them) in my life.  Personally, I think "nomorebuycks" username is uncalled for.   Let's get some more things straight, I don't think Buzz has lost this team at all, they play very hard for him.

Any other pearls of wisdom from your mouth today?

What's with the House photos?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2011, 09:36:16 PM »

Didn't you know that Chicos has a master's degree in stalking?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2011, 09:44:16 PM »

Don't give up lay ups and wide open threes, and coach more like Coach K.....got it....easy.....done.  What would MU do without such insight.  As I remember Buzz played Coach K pretty tough, and seeing as Coach K has a more talented team, one could say Buzz held his own. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »
Still think Buzz lost this team?

I never wrote that he lost the team. I wrote that I had heard that he lost the team. There is a difference in those two points but comprehension is something I've come to realize can go missing from time to time with die-hard, biased, and/or blinded fans. I get that people just look at the name of a poster, while not reading the words, to decide whether something is positive or not. No worries. That's the way it is with fanatics. I'll write things differently.

In fact, I've been more optimistic with this year's team than the past few years. It won't take much time for you to look back in this thread and see that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2011, 11:29:28 PM »

Lenny's never wrong...Lenny never admits he's wrong, ....plus he's a dink, like the House character.....I could go on.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:11:35 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

feedback