[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A win is a win!! 2-0!!  (Read 10257 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
A win is a win!! 2-0!!
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:20:41 PM »
Not happy with this game... absolute garbage with the shooting.  Anyway... i'll take the win but we gotta get the basics down here guys... 16-31 on FT's and 5-25 on 3's is unacceptable. 
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: A win is a win!! 2-0!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »
I understand the logic behind the twenty second drill Crean is running in practice, but maybe they need to run the clock a little and get a good shot.  Granted they missed a hundred no footers, but everyone just seems rushed.

4everwarriors

• All American
Bring on Duke
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 09:26:31 PM »
We're ready! ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tomahawkchop

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 09:29:05 PM »
Not happy with this game... absolute garbage with the shooting.  Anyway... i'll take the win but we gotta get the basics down here guys... 16-31 on FT's and 5-25 on 3's is unacceptable. 

C'mon, they are what they are.  This is not going to be a good shooting team, and that won't change just because we wish it so.

I shudder to think what will happen once good competition arrives.

At least DJ won't be leaving for the NBA!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 09:32:28 PM »

Well, I just wrote up my 2 cents on the blog...performance reeked
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 09:34:34 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

TJ

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 09:32:49 PM »
Back to the Al for some free throws boys - I already bought my tickets for Kansas City.

I shouldn't be getting my first heart attack this early in the season.

tweakers_suck

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 09:37:31 PM »
Back to the Al for some free throws boys

After that performance maybe they should practive at the Old Gym.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:45:45 PM »
Sometimes a win is also a look into the future and I don't like what tomorrow looks like.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 09:47:48 PM »
this team cannot possibly this bad.  we have looked horrible, but the talent is undeniably there.  you think boston college is packing in the season after getting smoked by vermont tonight?  i'll take W's until we can put it together.  and we will.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 09:48:17 PM »
I shudder to think what will happen once good competition arrives.

Well, at least they've got a soft non-con schedule to get some of the kinks worked out.  I just hope we can play better tomorrow night, and then do reasonably well against some better competition in KC.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 09:56:32 PM »
Is this the thoughts-on-the-game thread, or is this just post-game ranting?  I can join in on either, but...

Why the hell isn't Wes Matthews the feature part of the offense?  In the first half, he got the ball twice in a row where he drove to the basket.  Once he scored off the glass, the other he got to the basket, put it off the glass and it rolled out.  He's the only one in our 'golden trio' who, when he gets to the basket, consistently is able to put up a good, under-control shot.  I think that has to do with the fact that he's able to outjump most everyone when he's within seven feet of the hoop.

Oh, and the zone offense today was awful.  The ball movement is waaayyyyyy too slow. 

This team needs to get goin' in the next 20 hours, because if they play like that, Detroit will beat them, plain and simple. 

I'm happy that they won, and I'm not in total freak-out mode yet, but we need to start improving a bit.

Oh, and real quickly, props to Ooose.  How funny...  the starter I (maybe even we?) worried most about heading into the season has been arguably our best player.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 10:04:52 PM »
What a dreadful performance.  Our defense at the end of the game and in OT saved us from an embarrasing loss.  The free throw shooting, overall shooting and offensive flow stunk.  I believe the 20 second shot clock run in practice has really hurt our offensive flow.  On the bright side we pulled out a win that should have been a loss.

We took 17 more field goals and 26 more free throws and barely won.  THat is amazing.

State

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 10:25:35 PM »
Oh, and real quickly, props to Ooose.  How funny...  the starter I (maybe even we?) worried most about heading into the season has been arguably our best player.

Funny what a box score will lead you to believe!!  The guy can flat out NOT play.

When does 'raw' talent finally become 'no' talent?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 10:29:32 PM »
Funny what a box score will lead you to believe!!  The guy can flat out NOT play.

I'd put money on Ooze to kick your a$$ in a game of 1 on 1  ;D

State

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 10:34:38 PM »
I'd put money on Ooze to kick your a$$ in a game of 1 on 1  ;D

I'd put money on Brice handing it to me...that's not the point.  Just calling it like I SEE it...with SEE the key word here.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 10:35:02 PM »
I'm not going to say Ooze telegraphs his defense in...

It's more like he calls beforehand and then sends a follow-up e-mail.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 10:39:39 PM »
as crappy as he played, ooze won the game. to's yes, rock hard hands yes. he had a lot of big boards and put it away when james, mcneal and fitz couldn't.
anyone who was at the game saw what everyone saw: the offense is non existent, MU really was lucky to win this game. everyone has waaaaaay to big an ego, numerous brick and airballs because our shooters had too much pride to pass up their shot for a better one.  there was some decent ball movement later in the game though when they finally started to realize that an open shot is better than a quick one. but indeed, a win is a win

MUshrooms

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 10:39:58 PM »
All I heard over the off season was how we weren't going to miss Novak because of the talented outside shooting of Fitz and how great Hayward was at the three ball.  Fitzgerald hasn't taken too many three point shots and when he does, I really haven't been too impressed.  Hopefully that changes because I know he can do better.  

But as far as Hayward goes, he hasn't even ATTEMPTED one outside shot.  I've been to all the games so far and I havent seen him take a shot farther than 6 feet.  As far as I'm concerned, we are ranked #16 in the country because it was believed that the loss of Novak wouldn't be a huge factor because of the "shooters" on our team like Fitz and Hayward.  So far, its looking like that is definitely not the case. I hope I'm wrong...

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 10:42:19 PM »

When does 'raw' talent finally become 'no' talent?

Heh.  I was at the game (in the fan section), but go ahead with your snark.

And "best player" really was an incorrect term there.  I guess I should say, I don't think he's been detrimental, or a problem on this team so far, when I fully expected (coming into the season) that he would be a problem.  And I don't know how you can say any differently.  It's not like they're getting beat on the boards.  It's the sometimes overaggressive nature of our guards on defense that's hurting 'em.  But overall, I can't gripe with how the defense has played so far.  Maybe things will change when the Eagles actually go up against a dominant big man, but the interior defense isn't the reason why we're squeaking by bad teams right now.

TVDirector

• All American
perchance about the worst MU effort I have witnessed....
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 10:43:48 PM »
they had troubles with the zone...
again, DJ NOT handling as much point duties--- why?  I yelled it to TC as they limped out at half.. he just stared at me.  when you have a PG as talented as DJ, and you play him at the 2 with McNeal or Matthews bringing up the ball and starting the O, well, I just don't get it.
they played better with daveed handling things at times.

ft's? ridiculous.
we couldn't hit a basket on O... drove a lot, which resulted in a slew of ft's, but what good is it if NO ONE converts?
3 pt D... nonexistent.... give the spuds credit--- they hit some tough shots.

listless effort---
TC did not have much of an evident game plan, and a first DAY D1 coach with only JC experience seemed more prepared.
no footers? no way... now they will fall in due time, but with poor 3pt shooting, spotty ft shooting, we may lose a couple we ought to win.

give credit in the last few minutes--- they showed how intense they could be-
ooze had a good ft stroke when it counted.
I'm really impressed with Lott so far this year.

fitz was miserable--- at best.

wes looks to be our only real scorer from anywhere at this point... yet he was left out of the O way too much.
jerel will be fine... he is intense, and plays with a great deal of heart--- he needs to make some better choices.

trend had a great block at an important juncture... it was sweet.

we did try to get the ball inside, so I disagree with the perimeter passing game critics---  unlike teams of old, they looked and pushed it inside a lot.. not just swing, swing, swing.

someone has got to step up on 3's.

gotta hope, and I think, that tuesday night will be much different.
 ???

MUshrooms

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 10:45:45 PM »
I hate to say it, Ousmane hasn't improved one bit since last year, at least so far.  And that's what we were banking on.  Although right now it looks like our lack of a great bigman is the least of our worries...

HomeCourtAdvantage

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 10:47:17 PM »
When it comes down to the Nitty Gritty, there were too many 'Circus' Shots attempted by Marquette and too much emphasis on driving the ball from the perimeter.

I was not impressed at all at this farce of a win, and I am very afraid for the future.

Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 09:46:23 AM »
I wasn't there, but listened to the entire game.  Offensively, it appears that our main problem is there isn't a definition of what a good shot is for us.  Last year, we worked our offense with the goal of spotting Novak for an open 3.  James driving was a second option and it went on from there.

This year, we feel having mediocre 3-pt shooters taking contested shots early in the shot clock will win the game.  I think we'd be better served if James and McNeal took only 2 or 3 3-pt attempts combined per game. Five, ten, or fifteen is way to many.  They're both more effective driving and taking mid-range shots than 3's.  Fitz, Cubillan, and Lazar on the other hand are the opposite.  If they are given room on a three, he should put it right up.  Matthews should have the green light to make decisions, but I still prefer him working in closer to the basket.

This falls on Crean and the way practices are (obviously) being run, not on the players who all seem to be showing a good deal of effort.  He is a good coach and will recognize and reevaluate what the goals of our offensive sets are.  Unfotunately, this will take some time and relearning and cannot be accomplished before tonight's game.  I'm looking for another close contest and hope to eak out another W before heading back to the drawing boards.

paulpogo

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 10:15:03 AM »
I have a fairly simple take on what we've seen so far this year.

Last year no team in their right mind would play a zone defense against us.

This year (and especially against "inferior" opponents) we can expect to see a TON of zone defenses.  And as a long time hoops coach, running an offense against a zone can be difficult, especially when you haven't seen it too often.

I don't know how much zone we'll see in the BE since most outside of Syracuse don't practice it much, but in the non conference we'll see it plenty.  And if we don't improve against it, you can bet we'll see it more in the BE.

Here's hoping we were saving up our FG and FT percentages for tonight.  See you guys there.

feedback