collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Milwaukee Archdiocese filing for bankruptcy  (Read 4825 times)

bucksandy34

• Walk-On
Re: Milwaukee Archdiocese filing for bankruptcy
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »
I'm no expert, but as I understand it this bankruptcy will be a positive thing. I think with the bankruptcy, it means that the Archdiocese will come up with a plan that allows all the victims to get money rather than a few jackpot settlements for a couple victims and everyone else left with nothing because the Archdiocese runs out of money. Also, I'm almost positive that each individual parish is, while a part of the Archdiocese within the structure of the Church, incorporated separately from the Archdiocese in the legal sense. It seems that would mean that individual parishes wouldn't be hurt by this.

As for the folks at the game, I was sitting in the VIF tables right in front of Club Cambria where the Archdiocese was. Archbishop Listecki was there for awhile at the start, but I didn't see him after about the 12 minute mark in the first half. The only other person I recognized in there was Fr. Wild. I think it was just priests from the Archdiocese, and I would be very surprised if the Archdiocese paid for it. They have Archdiocese night every year so I bet MU just donates the seats for that game.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 05:06:18 PM »
I'm no expert, but as I understand it this bankruptcy will be a positive thing. I think with the bankruptcy, it means that the Archdiocese will come up with a plan that allows all the victims to get money rather than a few jackpot settlements for a couple victims and everyone else left with nothing because the Archdiocese runs out of money. Also, I'm almost positive that each individual parish is, while a part of the Archdiocese within the structure of the Church, incorporated separately from the Archdiocese in the legal sense. It seems that would mean that individual parishes wouldn't be hurt by this.

I agree it is a positive thing, but you are a little off with the legal specifics. Each diocese (or in some cases, the person of the bishop himself) is one legal entity. Now of course, most parishes are expected to be financially self-sufficient, but bishops still like to have a say in their operation. And parishes who can't support themselves are sometimes supported by diocesan funds or partnering with another parish. Many parishes wouldn't be able to survive on their own, especially the poor ones in the inner city (think St. Benedict the Moor on State St.). The decision to close or merge parishes also rests with the bishop or a central diocesan council.

Unfortunately, the money will have to come from somewhere. It might not be parishes, but it could be. It could also be schools, Catholic Charities, or the selling of property or other assets.

bucksandy34

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »
From the Associated Press article:
"The Milwaukee archdiocese has about 640,000 members in 210 parishes, Topczewski said. Each parish is incorporated individually, so the bankruptcy won't affect their finances, he said."

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/112878444.html

This is where I got the idea that each parish is a separate legal entity. I could be understanding it wrong, but I thought this meant that while the Archdiocese/these parishes are one unit within the structure of the Church (so the Archbishop is in charge), within the legal structure of the U.S. and for purposes of this bankruptcy, each parish is a separate entity.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 06:47:10 PM »
From the Associated Press article:
"The Milwaukee archdiocese has about 640,000 members in 210 parishes, Topczewski said. Each parish is incorporated individually, so the bankruptcy won't affect their finances, he said."

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/112878444.html

This is where I got the idea that each parish is a separate legal entity. I could be understanding it wrong, but I thought this meant that while the Archdiocese/these parishes are one unit within the structure of the Church (so the Archbishop is in charge), within the legal structure of the U.S. and for purposes of this bankruptcy, each parish is a separate entity.

I stand corrected. I know that's not how it is in Chicago, but I guess each diocese does it differently.

bucksandy34

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »
Yeah I thought it seemed strange, too. I have heard that the Archdiocesan Spokesman (Topczewski) may be wrong, and I don't think he's a lawyer so he could be misunderstanding, but I hope he's right.