Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Victory!  (Read 5553 times)

tower912

• All American
Victory!
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »
Ahhhh.   Let's learn from the mistakes and get better
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Victory!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:58:15 AM »
Ahhhh.   Let's learn from the mistakes and get better

Agreed.  A game we had to win, should have won and took care of business and DID win.  Plenty of things to clean up but it's a W.

Now, what will the Jim Burr conspiracy theorists say?   ;D

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »
Agreed.  A game we had to win, should have won and took care of business and DID win.  Plenty of things to clean up but it's a W.

He did alright in this one. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 12:02:19 PM »
Whew, nice game.  I vote for Crowder as Stud.  All agree???

Free throws, especially front end misses are hurting.

DJO and JB had great second half.  Crowder and Buycks in first half.

Other things:  Is Junior a BE guard?
                    No Gardner, EWill or Jones, even for a minute?

Danny Noonan

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »
[/quote]

Nice one- Even a blind squirrel couldn't have missed that last brake away intentional foul!

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 12:04:17 PM »
Love how hard Marquette played!  Great win!

National Champs

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »
I wish Jamail would get a look. Especially if we are going to see the zone a lot. We need an outside threat.
We Are Elite

National Champs

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 12:06:29 PM »

Nice one- Even a blind squirrel couldn't have missed that last brake away intentional foul!

Burr didn't even make that call either. He had a minimal impact on the game today, which is the way it should be.
We Are Elite

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 12:07:19 PM »
SOTG -- Crowder for his overall game, but Butler was difference in final minute.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Burr brought his A game.  Looking sharp for 2011

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 12:09:32 PM »
Burr didn't even make that call either. He had a minimal impact on the game today, which is the way it should be.

Actually watch it again...both lead refs made that call (trailing ref was off camera).  Burr was on the other side (the bench side) while the other ref was next to the play.  Wasn't Burr's call, but yes he made the call...he put the cross arms up as soon as he crossed the half court line.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 12:14:09 PM »
Actually watch it again...both lead refs made that call (trailing ref was off camera).  Burr was on the other side (the bench side) while the other ref was next to the play.  Wasn't Burr's call, but yes he made the call...he put the cross arms up as soon as he crossed the half court line.
yes he did.  Burr is hard to miss out there and I actually looked for him to see what he was going to do.  He got it right.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »
I wish Jamail would get a look. Especially if we are going to see the zone a lot. We need an outside threat.

He actually got sent to the scorer's table at about the 13 minute mark..but there was no stoppage of play until 11 minute mark, which triggered TV timeout..after which he was back on the bench.  He will get some PT this season..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

National Champs

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »

Nice, I didn't catch it the first time through. I think we can put the conspiracy theory to bed on that note. Great game by MU, they showed a lot of heart.
We Are Elite

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »
Free throws at the end of the game....these guys have got to step up and shoot like juniors and seniors.

DJO miss on front end of 1 and 1
Crowder's miss
Butler misses 2nd shot (but fortunately hit the critical first one)

Nerve racking. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »
Happy MUthafraking New Year!
SS Marquette

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 01:10:01 PM »
Jae was great, DJO showed his confidence and shooting touch when we needed it, and Jimmy came through with the leadership and took care of business at the end. It obviously wasn't perfect, but this is what I would hope for from what looks to be our main three weapons this season.

I continue to be impressed with the improvements Dwight has made from last season, and I love the contributions from Vander.

This team is fun to watch, but frustrating--just like every Marquette team for the last several years.

Bottom line is that we started off our BE season with a win against a solid team. Now it's time for the team to turn their focus to Rutgers Wednesday and me to turn my attention to football until then. Let's go Packers.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 01:16:08 PM »
Jae was great, DJO showed his confidence and shooting touch when we needed it, and Jimmy came through with the leadership and took care of business at the end. It obviously wasn't perfect, but this is what I would hope for from what looks to be our main three weapons this season.

I continue to be impressed with the improvements Dwight has made from last season, and I love the contributions from Vander.

This team is fun to watch, but frustrating--just like every Marquette team for the last several years.

Bottom line is that we started off our BE season with a win against a solid team. Now it's time for the team to turn their focus to Rutgers Wednesday and me to turn my attention to football until then. Let's go Packers.

+1

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »

Regarding Jim Burr, if you've listened to Homer he has it correct.  Jim Burr makes at least one call per game to prove he is smarter than anyone else -- a ridiculous call that has nothing to do with the game aside that a rule exists and Jim Burr decides to enforce it within the 40 minutes of that game.  MU does not lose games because of Jim Burr; nor does any other team.  There are enough plays that Jim Burr does not mess up in a game that he officiates to rightfully decide the game.  However, that does not mean that Jim Burr is excused for officiating games based on insecurities within his own mind that have nothing to do with the game of basketball.  It does not mean that Jim Burr is nothing other than a giant d---bag.  It does not mean that when Burr makes a terrible call at a critical moment that you cannot hate him for it.

Even though we won a game that Jim Burr officiated, I still extremely dislike him.  I give him no credit for the win as I do not blame him for any loss.   Dante has reserved a ring of hell for people like Jim Burr, but that does not involve me. That is my assessment of Jim Burr. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
Regarding Jim Burr, if you've listened to Homer he has it correct.  Jim Burr makes at least one call per game to prove he is smarter than anyone else -- a ridiculous call that has nothing to do with the game aside that a rule exists and Jim Burr decides to enforce it within the 40 minutes of that game.  MU does not lose games because of Jim Burr; nor does any other team.  There are enough plays that Jim Burr does not mess up in a game that he officiates to rightfully decide the game.  However, that does not mean that Jim Burr is excused for officiating games based on insecurities within his own mind that have nothing to do with the game of basketball.  It does not mean that Jim Burr is nothing other than a giant d---bag.  It does not mean that when Burr makes a terrible call at a critical moment that you cannot hate him for it.

Even though we won a game that Jim Burr officiated, I still extremely dislike him.  I give him no credit for the win as I do not blame him for any loss.   Dante has reserved a ring of hell for people like Jim Burr, but that does not involve me. That is my assessment of Jim Burr. 
All right then.  I like it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 03:52:51 PM »
How is Jim Burr allowed to officiate THREE STRAIGHT MU games?  And Corbertt does two in a row?  Begs to question what goes on in the NCAA and BE supervisors offices.  Really inappropriate besides the Burr fun for the fans who were riding his arse all day. Vander was tripped in the corner right in front of him and he let play go on which caused many Vandy catcalls. 

For the record, I think he is a good ref, he is consistent in that he let's them play.  I just don't think that style is good for MU's smaller and quicker players (clutch and grab) as witnessed in our 2-7 two year record (MVS and WVU wins now to make it 2-1 this season).  Didn't matter today as we matched up well with WVU. 

btw, I really liked that the BC showed more of the replays today on some calls...as is usually the case, the refs always get it right. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »
How is Jim Burr allowed to officiate THREE STRAIGHT MU games?  And Corbertt does two in a row?  Begs to question what goes on in the NCAA and BE supervisors offices.  Really inappropriate besides the Burr fun for the fans who were riding his arse all day. Vander was tripped in the corner right in front of him and he let play go on which caused many Vandy catcalls.  

For the record, I think he is a good ref, he is consistent in that he let's them play.  I just don't think that style is good for MU's smaller and quicker players (clutch and grab) as witnessed in our 2-7 two year record (MVS and WVU wins now to make it 2-1 this season).  Didn't matter today as we matched up well with WVU.  

btw, I really liked that the BC showed more of the replays today on some calls...as is usually the case, the refs always get it right.  

Burr reffed the Kentucky Louisville game in between ours.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:05:03 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »

We've won many many games under Jim Burr over the last decade plus (yes, I know we lost 7 of the last 8 or whatever with him as ref).  I just find it comical that when we lose a few that he happens to ref in, it's suddenly Jim Burr is one of the reasons (but when we win when he's reffing, then it's because of something else). 

As for the special ring in hell....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 04:09:54 PM »
Burr reffed the Kentucky Louisville game in between ours.

So? My claim is how is he or any ref allowed to work three straight games for any team, let alone Marquette?  So much for neutrality...not claiming conspiracy just totally inappropriate in the regular season. No checks and balances in place by the supervisors.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
So? My claim is how is he or any ref allowed to work three straight games for any team, let alone Marquette?  So much for neutrality...not claiming conspiracy just totally inappropriate in the regular season. No checks and balances in place by the supervisors.

Pretty simple...costs.  There are only so many refs and a lot of games.  Burr only works Big East and Big Ten games.  With 16 teams in the conference and 18 games each, that's a ton of games that need 3 refs. 

Besides, if a ref is considered impartial, which by definition a ref is supposed to be, it shouldn't matter if a ref does 20 straight games for a team.  He's supposed to make calls based on whether something is a foul or not a foul, not look at what name is on the uniform or who is coaching first to decide how impartial he will be that game.