[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ohio State footballers and the NCAA  (Read 2368 times)

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
Ohio State footballers and the NCAA
« on: December 23, 2010, 02:23:32 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/12/23/ohio-state-suspensions-ncaa/

What a complete joke of an institution.  They are way out of touch or just blind to the realities of today's college athletics.  If they want to make an issue out of this then why aren't they suspending the players for the bowl game? Mostly likely because the NCAA acted in its own self interest as they would most likely lose significant revenue from advertisers.  We are denying these individuals to earn the money they rightfully deserve based upon a unique set of skills.  Do we prohibit a student for profiting from the publishing of a book? Do we prohibit a chemistry major (on scholarship) from selling a formula he developed?

I know I will most likely get torn to shreds for this statement, so please have at it and convince me I am wrong.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Ohio State footballers and the NCAA
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 02:34:15 PM »
Dudes need their tats.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 02:36:44 PM »
Selling awards and jersies and getting some free tatoos seems fairly harmless to me except the tatoos, they hurt when applied.

I wonder if the player was able to sell his fur lined jock strap, would that be a rule violation also?

Since these guys are there on scholarship, I do not know if that includes their books also, so would they be inviolation if they sold their books?

How the hell does a player know on some of this stuff, and how in hell can coaches keep track of it. It's not like they received money from the school/boosters to play.

And then the NCAA can buy that cam Newton did not know his father, the honest pastor, was shopping Cam's skills?

NCAA is becoming more and more a joke. Got to have the rules and regs though, just like our Federal government.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 03:40:31 PM »
Pandora's box, NCAA is going to be screwed either way so they have to take the harsher stand.  That's just the reality of it.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 06:46:46 PM »
So if they sold something and a booster just happened to buy it and happened to pay 20k for it that would be ok?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 01:34:25 AM »
This, on top of the Cam Newton debacle, have made me HATE the NCAA. Honestly it is just ridiculous.... They punish USC/Reggie Bush but don't punish Newton??! And how does suspending someone for games they likely won't even be playing in hurt them, or even prove a point? What's to stop future players from doing the same thing since they know the NCAA won't do anything to seriously jeopardize their football careers? If they want to make the point stick, suspend them for the bowl game. Just man up already. Either you bring down the hammer on everyone, or you let everything slide.

EDIT: Good article on the seemingly impenetrable "I didn't know" defense  http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=5951832

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 01:59:25 AM »
I saw in ESPN the magazine that the Beef O'Brady Bowl gave all the players Xboxes, amongst other things.  What if they already have an Xbox? Can they eBay it?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback