Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I didn't realize it was largely our fault the UW-M game didn't sell out  (Read 17748 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
Re: I didn't realize it was largely our fault the UW-M game didn't sell out
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »
Screw them.  You should be happy that your amateur athletic department after finding every way possible to try to keep Marquette fans out (40 ticket minimum group packages in the 400 levels at $20 a person come to mind, little to no promotion otherwise) got 7000 people in your building. 

There's a reason I didn't give your athletic department the pleasure of having my $20-$25 for a ticket, and it's because like many Marquette fans, I don't want this series to continue because WE GAIN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FROM IT WIN OR LOSE. 
The General has taken on a new command.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »
In all fairness to UWM, this is just one UWM fans opinion who happens to have a blog.  I'm guessing their actual athletic department is quite thankful for the MU fans bringing in some money for a change.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »
What does more damage to a program/athletic department?

Missing out on the revenue of additional tickets being sold to the road team

or

Selling out, but only to have the road team fill the majority of the building and somewhat demoralize your own team/fanbase.

I'm not saying this to be a d*ck to UWM, I just think this is the real dilemma they were faced with.

I think they could have sold a lot more tickets if they had used some promotional tools that appealed to MU fans. I know that would have been painful for them as an athletic department, but they could have generated another 2K in ticket sales.

PS Does anybody know who determined the date for the game? Is the home team the primary driver?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 12:06:43 PM »
In all fairness to UWM, this is just one UWM fans opinion who happens to have a blog.  I'm guessing their actual athletic department is quite thankful for the MU fans bringing in some money for a change.

One blog post, but an opinion shared by many UW-M fans (is that an oxymoron)?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 12:45:27 PM »
One blog post, but an opinion shared by many UW-M fans (is that an oxymoron)?

Yeah, it's sad how many of them do think this.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »
I have yet to meet a UW-Shorewood fan in my years living in Milwaukee.

I'll chalk this up as a "who cares" situation.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »
I'm for ridding ourselves of this non-rivalvry no-win situation for MU.   I have a much better idea....move the entire UW-brand of basketball into a preseason tournament in Madison....far far away from Marquette.   You could thrill the Kohl hole faithful with a night of UW-GB vs. UW-Milwaukee and UW-Madison vs. the favorite in the D-3 level like UW-Stevens Point.   Imagine the raucous crowd watching a thrilling 46-23 UW drubbing of UW-Stevens Point...followed by the roar of 200 student fans watching the Phoenix and Panthers do battle for the privilege of being part of a 54-45 championship game in front of a packed house of non-student fans clamoring over a true college "state champion."

Let em' have it....nobody outside of Wisconsin cares.....give us preseason tournaments, home and home with some legitimate D-1 schools so we can prepare for the Big East.

I'm new....some of this should probably be in teal.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 01:50:34 PM »

New or not - teal is for those that are bad at sarcasm. 

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 02:06:38 PM »
I don't know why you would teal any of that.  It all sounds legit to me.  And no, I'm not using teal.

I'm for ridding ourselves of this non-rivalvry no-win situation for MU.   I have a much better idea....move the entire UW-brand of basketball into a preseason tournament in Madison....far far away from Marquette.   You could thrill the Kohl hole faithful with a night of UW-GB vs. UW-Milwaukee and UW-Madison vs. the favorite in the D-3 level like UW-Stevens Point.   Imagine the raucous crowd watching a thrilling 46-23 UW drubbing of UW-Stevens Point...followed by the roar of 200 student fans watching the Phoenix and Panthers do battle for the privilege of being part of a 54-45 championship game in front of a packed house of non-student fans clamoring over a true college "state champion."

Let em' have it....nobody outside of Wisconsin cares.....give us preseason tournaments, home and home with some legitimate D-1 schools so we can prepare for the Big East.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2010, 02:10:50 PM »
It's not UW-M, it's Milwaukee, UWM or UW-Milwaukee
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
I looked into buying some tickets for the game, I believe you had to buy a 5 game pack of tickets.  You could not just buy tickets for the MU game.
Well I guess you can't read at all or you must not be on this board that much. >:(

1st) It was four game pack for $ 40

2nd) Single game tickets went on sale on Nov.8 for the game. I posted it and others on here time and time again.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »
No way to play future games in the Arena. Why? Why? Why?

Bradley Center or none.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 02:25:29 PM »
And then they have the gall to say it's our fault when they made tickets only available for people that bought five-game packs? What Marquette fan wants a five-game pack to UW-M, aside from mupanther?

but us.
1) It's UWM not UW-M.

2) I have full season-tickets to both.

3) It's a four game packs for $40.
 I don't get how that is any different than Marquette selling 5 game packs for the Badgers game if you want a MU-UW ticket?
-Bill Walton

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 02:28:19 PM »
 I don't get how that is any different than Marquette selling 5 game packs for the Badgers game if you want a MU-UW ticket?

Because the MU v UW-Madison sells out.

UW-M should try to fill the Mecca up halfway before they try to start making money on schemes.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 02:36:37 PM »

UWM should try to fill the Mecca up halfway before they try to start making money on schemes.
UWM did put single game tickets out on Nov.8. What is so wrong with UWM trying to make money? So people had three weeks to buy tickets.

A scheme is four games for $40, Come'on!
-Bill Walton

chren21

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 02:36:49 PM »

Short and to the point... Love it.  Just a minor, insignificant detail...  

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 02:39:34 PM »
Short and to the point... Love it.  Just a minor, insignificant detail...  
Sell the four packs first, than the singles. I think the UWM ticket office thought the game would sell out.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:41:25 PM by mupanther »
-Bill Walton

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 02:44:06 PM »
I'm thinking UWM thought MU would sell the game out.

That's the truth.  They overestimated demand for Horizon League bball.  I really don't think there's that much demand for this game.  Not a lot of single game seats were sold for this game the past few years at the BC.  I'm not sure why UW-M's athletic department thought it would be different at the Mecca.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 02:55:09 PM »
That's the truth.  They overestimated demand for Horizon League bball.  I really don't think there's that much demand for this game.  Not a lot of single game seats were sold for this game the past few years at the BC.  I'm not sure why UW-M's athletic department thought it would be different at the Mecca.
The Wisconsin Badgers-Milwaukee Panthers game in 2006 was on a Wednesday and had over 10,000 with single game tickets not going on sale untill 2 days before the game. That's why I think they thought it would be a sell-out.
-Bill Walton

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2010, 02:55:17 PM »
I'm thinking UWM thought MU would sell the game out.
Clearly they overestimated their position.

Segue - This is one of the things that pissed me off about this game - hearing the broadcast and the student-athlete comments from the Milwaukee Normal side. Everything was spun toward how it was big deal for them to get this home game. That they had somehow arrived, or were getting respect. I just don't feel like that was ever the reason for renewing the series - it was about what was good for basketball in Milwaukee. For Milwaukee State Teachers College to try and make hay and reputation points off that is weak, in my opinion.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
1) It's UWM not UW-M.

2) I have full season-tickets to both.

Before I address this, when I singled you out, I meant no offense. With a username like mupanther, it does without saying that you have an interest in both Marquette and UW-M. I always guessed that you attended both schools. No slight intended, just specifying that most Marquette fans wouldn't have an interest in a five-game (or four, for that matter) pack to UW-M games. Now...on to those points...

1) Not according to the US Cellular Arena or the UW-M Media Department. We covered this the other day.

You may prefer UWM or Milwaukee, but the university itself and the venue it is affiliated with seems to prefer UW-M.

2) Yeah, that's why I mentioned you as someone who would be interested in both teams, covered that above.

3) As mentioned by Ska, we sell out. Some fans buy the five-pack for the Bucky game, but they still go to the other games as well. If Badger fans want to buy the five-pack for that game, they can feel free. If they don't, Marquette fans will buy them and use all the tickets. It's a lot easier to justify the sale in a package when there is a demand for the individual seats. UW-M simply doesn't generate the demand for their games that Marquette does.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »
never-mind - mentioned above...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:08:53 PM by rocky_warrior »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »
That's why I think they thought it would be a sell-out.

It shoulda been a sellout...I think it's pretty pathetic that a home game that UW-M has been clamoring for for decades doesn't come close to selling out, when they are giving away free tickets to students, and the student enrollment is, what, 30,000?  My guess is that most of the UW-M'ers stayed away because they expected to get their asses handed to them by MU and wanted to spare themselves the embarrassment.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2010, 03:15:27 PM »
It's UWM not UW-M.

It's all three. UWM, UW-M, Milwaukee. They use UWM all over their academic website http://uwm.edu and seem to use UW-M for sporting events.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:17:07 PM by kryza »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2010, 03:22:41 PM »
Brew City 77-I hear your point that MU fans don't want to buy Panther 4 packs. What's wrong with just seeing a college basketball game? I get it that some do and some don't. Like I said it worked in 2006 with the Badger game.

I didn't go to MU or UWM, my wife and I just have full-season tickets to both and never miss a game.  ;)

I see the none sell out Saturday, as everyones fault Marquette fans and UWM fans and the people who live in Milwaukee that are not a fan of MU or UWM, but says I like all 4 of the state schools.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:26:37 PM by mupanther »
-Bill Walton

feedback