'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Newsdreams
[Today at 03:20:44 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Lineup vs. Duke  (Read 18318 times)

mikem91288

• Team Captain
Lineup vs. Duke
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:14:06 AM »
All the chatter about the lineups is enjoyable, its great to not have a 7 man rotation anymore, but the real test is who starts against Duke? This was really tough and I changed my mind a buch of times, but what do you think of this........

My guess
1 Buycks
2. Blue
3 JFB
4 Crowder
5 Otule
Warrior in the class of 2011.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Lineup vs. Duke
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:18:55 AM »
I understand looking forward to the Duke game. MU has two games before Duke, in Green Bay and South Dakota. Both of those two schools won over 20 games last season and made it to postseason play.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:21:03 AM »
legit point Mupanther. I will be first to admit I'm a bit overly excited because I am headed down to KC.

Any info on UWGB from a horizon league expert? I know they beat the Badgers last year, so they are dangerous. Plus, Brian Wardle was taught well......
Warrior in the class of 2011.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »
Ignoring the Duke comment and looking forward to our game on Wednesday:

I still dislike Buycks at the 1.  I'll take Cadougan any day.

Buycks is good at the 2 spot, but his shoot-first mentality kills me.  If he gives up another open three and instead takes 1 STEP inside the 3-pt line to take a challenged shot I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to the athletic department.  Plus I haven't seen much from him in the way of awesome passes.  Cadougan has great court vision and can get the ball down-low at angles that take my breath away.

I wish DJO would start instead of Blue, but right now DJO's head isn't in the game.  While Blue lacks offense, he's an absolute pest on D :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:09:07 AM by Skatastrophy »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:23:13 AM »
Yeah we can't overlook the games before Duke. Like ive said before, the typical early season "cupcakes" arnt really there for us this year. We are playing solid mid major tourney teams.

But to answer the question DJO has to start and I think this game will be his coming out party on national t.v. Blue will play alot whether he starts or not cuz he will be responsible for irving or smith for alot of game.

Crowder and Jimmy have to start to contain singler best we can.

hopefully ox and otule can handle their own vs plumlees.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »
I've been wondering if it might be time already for Gardner to start. The Ox has been just that in his first two games, and we need someone with his kind of power inside. He could come off the bench again, but I wouldn't mind seeing him and Otule reverse roles. It seems like Ox is going to earn more minutes by the end of the game, why not let him start that trend from the opening tip?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 10:39:13 AM »

I still dislike Buycks at the 1.  I'll take Cadougan any day.

Buycks is good at the 2 spot, but his shoot-first mentality kills me.  If he gives up another open three and instead takes 1 STEP inside the 3-pt line to take a challenged shot I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to the athletic department.  Plus I haven't seen much from him in the way of awesome passes.  Cadougan has great court vision and can get the ball down-low at angles that take my breath away.

I wish DJO would start instead of Blue, but right now DJO's head isn't in the game.  While Blue lacks offense, he's an absolute best on D :)

Agree with most of what you said Skat Man, but I would still start DJO over Blue. Better slasher and outside shot. They could both start when going small.
Garrdner and Otule are a toss up.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 10:42:31 AM »
It seems like Ox is going to earn more minutes by the end of the game, why not let him start that trend from the opening tip?

Given his level of conditioning, I like how Buzz is using him right now. I kinda like the idea of a rested offensive threat inside against guys who are tired/in foul trouble.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 10:45:24 AM »
I've been wondering if it might be time already for Gardner to start. The Ox has been just that in his first two games, and we need someone with his kind of power inside. He could come off the bench again, but I wouldn't mind seeing him and Otule reverse roles. It seems like Ox is going to earn more minutes by the end of the game, why not let him start that trend from the opening tip?

Ox needs to pace himself. For the time being, he'll likely see a bulk of his minutes in the second half. You don't sprint out of the gates while running a marathon...especially if you weigh 290 pounds  ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »
A good friend of mine has been a Duke fan forever...but not one of *those* Duke fans.

He says this backcourt might be the best in Coach K's history.  Irving and Nolan Smith are *that* good.  Given our problems with perimeter defense, and frankly our relative youth, I hope the PG position is solidified by then and DJO wakes up.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 10:48:24 AM »

How many minutes can Gardner play right now and be effective on both ends of the floor? I don't know if he can play more than 15 minutes.

#MUBB

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »
All the chatter about the lineups is enjoyable, its great to not have a 7 man rotation anymore, but the real test is who starts against Duke? This was really tough and I changed my mind a buch of times, but what do you think of this........

My guess
1 Buycks
2. Blue
3 JFB
4 Crowder
5 Otule

The way Buzz has been rotating guys in and out thus far I'm not overly concerned with what the starting 5 will be. However, I will be very surprised if DJO isn't in the first 5 for this game. This big of a game this early in the season, I expect Buzz to lean towards an experienced player. Hopefully DJO at the 2.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 11:06:37 AM »
I like Junior as the number one option at PG.  Also, I don't think we'll see much of Junior and Vander on the floor at the same time.  At this point, neither seem to be a huge scoring threat, so I think it's best they don't play together.  I'd try to keep two of our more experienced scorers: Jimmy, DJO, Buycks out there with one of Blue/Cadougan and fill in the rest of the guys based on the other teams current players.  This way we can have those 2 scorers be the main focus of the defense, with our other 2 guys being capable scorers since they arent the focus.  This leaves either Junior/Vander as the lowest priority their defense will be keying on and may open up easy scoring opportunities that will help to build Junior/Vander's confidence scoring.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 11:10:53 AM »
legit point Mupanther. I will be first to admit I'm a bit overly excited because I am headed down to KC.

Any info on UWGB from a horizon league expert? I know they beat the Badgers last year, so they are dangerous. Plus, Brian Wardle was taught well......
Green Bay has a great back in Rahmon Fletcher and Bryquis Perine, who is from Milwaukee. GB added 7'1 freshmen Alec Brown and juco transfer Jarvis Williams. Green Bay was picked anywhere from 4th to 6st place in the Horizon League.

http://www.greenbayphoenix.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=110001&SPID=13663&DB_OEM_ID=22500&ATCLID=205030619
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 11:15:15 AM »
Gotta keep Gardner coming off the bench. IMO, that's the best role for him to be most effective at the moment.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 11:17:08 AM »
I understand looking forward to the Duke game. MU has two games before Duke, in Green Bay and South Dakota. Both of those two schools won over 20 games last season and made it to postseason play.

Yeah we can't overlook the games before Duke. Like ive said before, the typical early season "cupcakes" arnt really there for us this year. We are playing solid mid major tourney teams.

I agree that the team cannot overlook Green Bay and South Dakota.  But I don't think it really matters if us scoopers look ahead towards Duke.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 11:20:40 AM »
I agree that the team cannot overlook Green Bay and South Dakota.  But I don't think it really matters if us scoopers look ahead towards Duke.
Yes and no. It's hard to say what will happen in the Duke game, because the line-up is changing. Look how things change for MU from Friday to Sunday.
-Bill Walton

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 11:26:59 AM »

Certainly, the team can't overlook those games. But WE can. C'mon guys. Our talking about Duke isn't going to affect the performance of our team vs. South Dakota and UWGB. I say talk about all the lineups all you want.

I agree with the original poster's lineup...except switch Gardner for Otule.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »
Against Duke:

1. Junior
2. DB
3. DJO
4. JB
5. Jae

My question would be with JC...if Buzz believes he can play Blue without limiting offensive production too much, he'll go that route (DB at the point) because Duke's back-court is impressive.  I'm not too concerned with their post players, but that's based off of watching them in one game against Princeton.  I'm guessing Buzz hasn't settled on a line-up for that game yet, so it's hard to even guess.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »
Certainly, the team can't overlook those games. But WE can. C'mon guys. Our talking about Duke isn't going to affect the performance of our team vs. South Dakota and UWGB. I say talk about all the lineups all you want.

I agree with the original poster's lineup...except switch Gardner for Otule.
It's hard to give a lineup for Duke, when stuff can change in the next two games.
-Bill Walton

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »
Based on your logic we also shouldn't make pre-season predictions for the season because things can change.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 12:15:08 PM »
I think Reggie starts at point against Duke, because of Irving's quickness. Otule starts, because of Duke's size. Blue starts, because he is better than DJO. Crowder is going to play the majority of minutes at the four whether he starts or not. No need to mention Butler.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 12:22:22 PM »
This is why Duke is so good every year. Their fans, on message boards, are not allowed to look past inferior opponents. The fans are so well coached by K, that they know to focus one game at a time.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 12:28:04 PM »
I think Reggie starts at point against Duke, because of Irving's quickness. Otule starts, because of Duke's size. Blue starts, because he is better than DJO. Crowder is going to play the majority of minutes at the four whether he starts or not. No need to mention Butler.

This makes sense from a defensive standpoint, but I think we need at least one other proven scoring option in there.  Crowder has good numbers so far but I see him as the number 2 option in this lineup.  Not sure if he's ready for that against a team of Duke's caliber.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »
DB
DJO
VB
JFB
JC

feedback