[Today at 10:54:04 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Blocking  (Read 6693 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Blocking
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:04:33 AM »
Is there a way to block, not just a poster, but a thread? For instance, if the title of a thread annoys a poster would the site have the capability to offer posters the ability to block the thread entirely?

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Blocking
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »
Here come the thought police!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:42:14 AM »
I agree.  I want an internet bulletin board that allows me to block anything that annoys me.

I imagine I'll get tired of just talking to myself, though...which, come to think of it, would get annoying.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:36:33 PM »
"if the title of a thread annoys a poster" then said poster should not click on said title.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 03:40:34 PM »
"if the title of a thread annoys a poster" then said poster should not click on said title.
that's pretty old-school

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »
Why block a thread based on title or anything else?   It's not like a thread ever stays on topic very long.    Eventually, it is Crean v. Buzz, Chico v. everyobdy, MU needs more bigs, or something along those lines. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »

That's an over simplification and, frankly, doesn't even address this very serious problem.  As was clearly explained, it's not the content of the thread that annoys said poster, but the title itself.  Said poster will not be spared annoyance simply by refraining from clicking on said title.  The offending title will still be there, annoying said poster.

A more effective solution would be for said poster to refrain from visiting the site...at least until said title is bumped off the first page.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
Better yet, is there a way to block not just a particular poster, or a particular thread title, but rather a specific word either within a thread or in a title that may annoy (or may be offensive to) a poster?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 06:10:34 PM »
That's an over simplification and, frankly, doesn't even address this very serious problem.  As was clearly explained, it's not the content of the thread that annoys said poster, but the title itself.  Said poster will not be spared annoyance simply by refraining from clicking on said title.  The offending title will still be there, annoying said poster.

A more effective solution would be for said poster to refrain from visiting the site...at least until said title is bumped off the first page.
'

Good point - after some light-hearted consideration, the best thing I could find was this program for firefox:
http://webvocab.sourceforge.net/

It's a browser plugin that you can configure to replace any word on webpages.  So for example, you could tell the browser to replace:
Tom = Glazed
Crean = Doughnuts

i.e.
I hate Glazed Doughnuts.  The fake tan on Doughnuts drive me crazy.  I'm just glad to say that Doughnuts is out of my life.

:)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »
What kind of communist would hate glazed doughnuts???