Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Starters  (Read 9927 times)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: Starters
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2010, 09:32:09 PM »
I have a hard time envisioning Buzz calling Gardner's name at the end of a close game with Pitt or Nova...

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2010, 09:55:14 PM »
I have a hard time envisioning Buzz calling Gardner's name at the end of a close game with Pitt or Nova...

I actually really really liked what I saw from Gardner, more so than Otule actually. Maybe Otule needs to just actually play some games and get used to the flow and everything - I mean how many minutes has he played prior to this season?  But I dont think it will take long (next year) for Gardner to be playing more than Otule.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2010, 10:04:45 PM »
Erik Williams is not going to get many minutes this year it seems. I wanna see more intensity from him.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:08:16 PM by jhags15 »

The Maestro

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »
I think it's great we have the talent level to warrant this discussion. Can't wait to watch them play on Friday!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2010, 11:44:47 AM »
You have to earn playing time with Buzz, much less a starting spot.   He is going to give the start to the senior who played in the system last year (Buycks) until the incoming players earn it.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »
Buycks is starting and getting the most minutes as of Saturday becuase he plays the best defense of the three.  Coaches want players that play good defense and dont turn the ball over. I once had a coach that told us if you could dribble, pass and defend you could always make the team. 

I always get a kick out of  parents/fans/posters that argue a player should be playing more becuase of his offensive abilities.  This entire thread is one post after another about buycks' shooting, Smith's offense, etc.   

As buzz and other coaches will tell you they are not so much worried about scoring they are worried about stops.  Buycks from the scrimmage is the best of the three defensively.  Smith second best.  Buycks had 1 turnover.  His job to lose until smith or Junior take it from him. 

It would be hypocritical and dangerous to the culture of the program to give Smith or Junior more minutes at this point than Buycks.

Personally,  i hope Junior can step it up defensively.  i do not feel Smith has the handle to play point in the BE at this point although he is good enough defensively he would turn it ove r too much.  If Junior can fill the PG defensively, i would like to see Buycks at the 3, with Crowder and Butler up front.  Three guard with those two is the best lineup for us going forward IMO.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »
You have to earn playing time with Buzz, much less a starting spot.   He is going to give the start to the senior who played in the system last year (Buycks) until the incoming players earn it.

This.