[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Rosiak on James and the NBA Question  (Read 1496 times)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Rosiak on James and the NBA Question
« on: March 04, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »
Following up on Dominic James

Sophomore guard Dominic James is the first Marquette Golden Eagles player to have entertained the thought of possibly leaving early to enter the National Basketball Association draft since Dwyane Wade did so in the Spring of 2003.

With that in mind, I asked coach Tom Crean if he thought Wade pressed at all on the court over the course of his final season while wrestling with the decision, and whether he's seen signs of that at all from James this season.

Here's what he had to say:

"I don't think it affects them. I think what it does sometimes is if they're struggling, it might make them press. I think it's natural - not just at Marquette but at any school in the country that has players that are in that position - and a psychological aspect that you have to look out for. It's just part of it. You're not human if that's not part of it. You want your players to be aware, you want them to be alert. Well, they're aware and alert to a lot of things - what's being written, what's being said. All you have to do is look at the internet, turn on College Gamenight.

"As long as you can put it in its proper perspective and you have the trust in your coaches, which I think those guys have and always will. I will do nothing but give them the right guidance and information, and never self-serve. I've used examples where I thought other coaches were self-serving to themselves with their own players. I think that is when it's a problem, and I would never want to be one of those people. Again, that means that they're going to take the truth no matter what it is. I haven't seen a lot from Dominic, and there were probably only a couple times Dwyane's last year where I thought I had to address it. And I did."

Crean then recounted a particular conversation he had with Wade about midway through the 2002-'03 season.

"I'll never forget sitting in front of the bus with Dwyane at Tulane and I just thought he was pressing a little bit, with us talking about where it stood and trying to get him to relax a little bit and get him to focus on his teammates and getting better. And you know what? That night had had 35 points and 22 deflections. You don't want to overstress it and you don't want to oversimplify it. you just want to take it for what it is.

"And if you trust your instincts enough to say, 'OK, I think I need to address this,' then you do. You may be wrong once in a while but more often than not you're going to be right if you really know your people. When you really know them you learn to read them, and you read body language more than you read verbal language. That's what I try to spend a lot of time on, making sure I get an understanding of that."

Should James decide to return next season, MU would likely be looking at a top-10 ranking in the pre-season, and its highest expectations since that 2002-'03 season that culminated, of course, in a Final Four berth.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly the decision-making process gets underway for James once this season ends for the Golden Eagles.

feedback