[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bank the remaining scholarships  (Read 14867 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: Bank the remaining scholarships
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
I hope Otule reads stuff like this thread and gets super-motivated to prove we already have that big man piece. Just "What If" Otule has a breakout year, what would that do for future big-man recruiting?

He's been here 3 years, I dont completely get why everyone thinks his max potential is to be a big body clogging up the lane and grabbing down boards.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
He will be here for 2 more years after that.  I think he will be better than you think.  Particularly his senior year.
Otule, Williams,Wilson, Blue, Cadougan - still a pretty good group with Jones, Smith, Gardner, Anderson as back-ups.
A total senior frontline, 4 seniors starting, not bad. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »
I hope Otule reads stuff like this thread and gets super-motivated to prove we already have that big man piece. Just "What If" Otule has a breakout year, what would that do for future big-man recruiting?

He's been here 3 years, I dont completely get why everyone thinks his max potential is to be a big body clogging up the lane and grabbing down boards.

I like a lot of things about Otule. Size, strength, can run the floor. His achilles heel appears to me to be weak/bad hands. He gets to rebounds, for example, but has big trouble securing them. I don't know if reps, weight training or something else can fix it, but until he can catch the ball and secure it his contributions will be limited.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »
I like a lot of things about Otule. Size, strength, can run the floor. His achilles heel appears to me to be weak/bad hands. He gets to rebounds, for example, but has big trouble securing them. I don't know if reps, weight training or something else can fix it, but until he can catch the ball and secure it his contributions will be limited.

That is his weakness from observations of his limited play.  Not only in rebounding, but when they want to pass the ball into the low or high post, he bobbles it and then cannot make the pass back out.  Maybe that has changed with basically three years of practice time, but we will soon see.  If he cannot execute that important aspect of Buzz's offensive system, he sits.  I hope he has improved.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 03:27:18 PM »
If he has not inmproved, then it is coaching???

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Great to find someone here who is open minded, MarquetteNation
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 07:51:58 PM »
It's a discussion board. Who said a prerequisite was knowing everything that is going on with recruiting. We should be encouraging more people to start threads - not disparaging them when they do so.

It is encouraging to come across MarquetteNation, who values and welcomes a variety of viewpoints.

More people here should end their hostility. Instead, they should read, consider and reply to viewpoints that disagree with their own.

It is amusing that so many posters here are so quick to dismiss or slam those whose who see things differently.

The people I knew at Marquette were not like that.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »
There are 73 Schools in the 6 major conferences plus a dozen or more other (Memphis, Gonzaga, Temple, Xavier, Butler, Utah, etc) top flight basketball schools.  If everybody only got top 100 players there wouldn't be enough players for everyone to put 5 guys on the court.  At 100 players per year going only to these schools, an average team from this group would get maybe 5 top 100s every 4 years.  Buzz's run rate so far is better than that, and just as importantly, he's finding sub-top 100 guys who are upper echelon college players in every respect.

Of course I'm disappointed we didn't get one of our top priorities this week, but no complaints about recruiting here.

No kidding

Sometimes i wonder about so many fans of non-traditional powers like North Carolina, Kansas, UConn, etc. that don't grasp just how hard it is to land top 100 recruits, especially schools with a poor recruiting base like Wisconsin is compared much larger states who consistently churn out top 100 kids.

Buzz generally has to go out and get his quality recruits from outside the state of Wisconsin and that's not easy to do. Not only do a sizable percentage of kids prefer to stay close to home and play for schools they grew up cheering for, those upper tier kids also are usually being recruited by multiple good basketball schools from outside their state.

If Buzz can land at least one top 50-100 recruit in each class ad mix in 1-3 three more guys in the top 101-200 range that fit what Buzz wants for his team, he'll likely have a quality product on the court each year. To expect nothing but top 100-150 recruits in each class for a school like Marquette is way beyond wishful thinking, it's crazy thinking.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 06:49:30 AM »
Very good point.  The two highest recruits...well a recruit and a transfer...that Buzz has landed have come from in-state.  We are in the mix for a couple big ones in 2012.  (Tokoto and Nolan)  If we land either...or even both...people are going to feel reall good about that class.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 07:49:24 AM »
Good centers are hard to find. A good power forward will not come to MU, because he will end up playing center.

+1

Very good point, especially when you look at the past few years and our tendency to play guys out of position. Last year, Lazar frequently was required to play the 4 and 5 when he was best suited to be a college 3. Two years ago, Lazar at the 4, and Dwight Burke, who probably would have been best as a 4 played the 5. Novak, a guy we placed in the NBA, also spent most of his time at the 4 and 5 when his strengths were more suited to play the 3.

I think the problem is that we don't need a big man, we need two big men. If we were able to land a legitimate 4-star center then we would have the right pitch for a 4-star power forward in that we could tell him "you will play the position you are most comfortable with". As it stands, anyone with a bit of meat that stands 6'8" or taller is probably going to be thrown in at the 5. Hopefully either Otule or Gardner can emerge over the next year as not necessarily a star, but enough of a quality Big East player so that we can tell incoming power forwards they will get to spend most of their time at power forward.

While I'm sure Shaw knew he'd be in line for ample playing time at Marquette, there's also little doubt that he'd have been spending plenty of time at the 5, and for kids looking to get to the NBA (which they all are) I'm sure it'd be reassuring to know they will actually play in position rather than out of it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 11:45:31 PM »
I trust that he has a Plan B that might include someone like Derrik Wilson, God's Gift, or another JUCO that we haven't heard of.

I'm just hoping he signs God's Gift who absolutely explodes and takes Marquette to another Final Four.  I'm not even Catholic but that would be an amazing marketing story...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2010, 09:33:01 AM »
That is his weakness from observations of his limited play.  Not only in rebounding, but when they want to pass the ball into the low or high post, he bobbles it and then cannot make the pass back out.  Maybe that has changed with basically three years of practice time, but we will soon see.  If he cannot execute that important aspect of Buzz's offensive system, he sits.  I hope he has improved.
I believe bad hands has to do with eye hand co-ordination. Otule is basically blind in one eye and therefore it will be hard to improve in that area.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2010, 10:01:38 AM »
I believe bad hands has to do with eye hand co-ordination. Otule is basically blind in one eye and therefore it will be hard to improve in that area.

Really? I never heard that  ?-(

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2010, 01:59:21 PM »
That is why Otule wears those goggles when he is playing.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2010, 02:13:44 PM »

O'Tule has a droopy eye lid known as Ptosis. He is not blind, and his vision is not effected by it.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 06:17:01 PM »
Another thing that has handicapped Buzz in signing a true power forward is that he just hasn't had any top level PF/C talent come out of the southeast Wis / Northern Ill area where you can make a case that MU has the "home team" advantage.  Most of the big kids 6'9" and above have been upstate boys of the big somewhat "hulking" type that were better suited to UW's style of play and were pretty much destined to go to UW from kindergarden on.  We all know that top 100 PF/C types are a very limited and sought after commodity.  Look at who Buzz has lost the ones he went after to; Shaw to Illinois (home state school), Tarik Black to Memphis (home town school).  Buzz did sign Maymon who should have been a power forward but we all know that story.  I'm pretty sure that if Milwaukee were to produce a Damon Key or Robert Jackson Buzz would be the odds on favorite to sign him.  Unfortunately we haven't been fortunate to gain that built in advantage.  Instead we have been going up against others who have that advantage and we haven't been able to over come.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »
Here ya go.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4811242

Philip Nolan, Class of 2012

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2010, 06:33:20 PM »
Here ya go.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4811242

Philip Nolan, Class of 2012

Is Nolan still considered a local kid now that he's attending a prep school out in West Virginia?  Nolan has a chance to be a player, but needs to get about 20 pounds on his bones and be more aggressive to become a Big East level player.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »
With this reasoning, we should be the odds on favorite to land J.P.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2010, 07:02:06 PM »
Is Nolan still considered a local kid now that he's attending a prep school out in West Virginia?  Nolan has a chance to be a player, but needs to get about 20 pounds on his bones and be more aggressive to become a Big East level player.

Would you call Buycks a local kid...or an Iowa kid?

Nolan would be playing close to home.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »
Hopefully Nolan gets his "I wonder what it would be like to live away from home" out of his system with his prep school.  Nolan would be a great grab for Buzz.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »
With this reasoning, we should be the odds on favorite to land J.P.
OK I'll amend my comment.  We'll have a better chance of landing a local PF/C
Unless that player turns out to be one of the top 10 players in the class and draws interest from every elite program in the country.  Jezzzz

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2010, 07:40:30 PM »
I definitely feel Nolan should be our top target for next year, honestly he might be a bigger get for us than JP Tokoto. Despite all the recruiting disappointments this year, we could have an immense class next year if Buzz manages to simply win over the hometown guys.

And while I think Nolan is more of a need, I do think we have to be viewed as a major contender for JP. He's been here for the past two Marquette Madness events, Buzz's Backyard BBQ, and the NCAA Selection Show last year. Pretty much every major event we have here Tokoto shows up for. We may not get him, or even be the favorite, but it'd be silly not to think we're probably on the shortlist of five or so teams.

feedback