[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Derrik Wilson  (Read 17832 times)

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
Re: Derrik Wilson
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »
I think this is the level of player MU is going to end up getting as they have to realize they're going to play behind Reggie, Vander, Junior, etc. for most of their time at MU.  Looking at MU's roster next year: Wilson, Anderson, Smith, Jones, Cadougan, DJO, Blue, Williams, Gardner, Crowder, Otule.  That's a lot of talent and not much PT.
I hate this excuse to not land top recruits.

If you really are that good and believe in yourself as an individual recruit, you shouldn't be worrying about other quality players being on the roster.  If anything, that should say it's a great opportunity to get "1%" better every day as Buzz says and to compete at a high level with quality talent surrounding you.  If you don't have enough confidence in yourself and your ability to think you could take a spot from someone, then I wouldn't want you as a coach generally speaking anyways.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 08:41:02 AM »
Just was MU needs.  A 6foot guard whose best position is shooting guard.  Thought we just rid of those.

In all honesty, this is still the college game. Was Dominic James bad for Marquette? His talents seemed to be a bit more suited to the 2 than the 1, and he usually seemed to want to score like a 2, but his talent made him an asset more often than he was a liability. Acker and Cubillan? Both could handle the rock, and without them I think an NIT bid would have been the most we could have hoped for last season, while with them we earned a pretty impressive 6-seed.

The truth is you don't have to have a 6'3" point guard, a 6'6" shooting guard, a 6'8" small forward, and two 6'10" or bigger guys on the front line. This isn't the NBA. If a guy proves to have talent and a solid basketball brain, he can probably have success at this level. Yes, you need some size, but we've had pretty good success with guys being undersized over the past few years. No reason that with some of our roster that can't continue.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »

If you really are that good and believe in yourself as an individual recruit, you shouldn't be worrying about other quality players being on the roster.  If anything, that should say it's a great opportunity to get "1%" better every day as Buzz says and to compete at a high level with quality talent surrounding you.  If you don't have enough confidence in yourself and your ability to think you could take a spot from someone, then I wouldn't want you as a coach generally speaking anyways.

To an extent I agree with what you write..but I don't think it is a confidence thing so much as it is a reality thing.  The reality being...if for example D'Angelo Harrison came to MU...he'd have to compete for, or at minimum split minutes with Vander, Reggie, DJO.  Now, when the kid can got to New York City, and pretty much be guaranteed 30 minutes plus per game of playing time  -versus maybe 5 or 10 at Marquette??  Personally, I'd choose St. Johns in that case.  These players put an UNBELIEVABLE amount of time into being a college basketball player...and to do all that for 5 minutes a game??  NO THANKS.

Buycks just said that is what he admired about Frozena..is that he does all of that stuff..yet knows he'll probably never see more than a minute or two a game....the time commitment is HUGE.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 09:35:04 AM »
In all honesty, this is still the college game. Was Dominic James bad for Marquette? His talents seemed to be a bit more suited to the 2 than the 1, and he usually seemed to want to score like a 2, but his talent made him an asset more often than he was a liability. Acker and Cubillan? Both could handle the rock, and without them I think an NIT bid would have been the most we could have hoped for last season, while with them we earned a pretty impressive 6-seed.

The truth is you don't have to have a 6'3" point guard, a 6'6" shooting guard, a 6'8" small forward, and two 6'10" or bigger guys on the front line. This isn't the NBA. If a guy proves to have talent and a solid basketball brain, he can probably have success at this level. Yes, you need some size, but we've had pretty good success with guys being undersized over the past few years. No reason that with some of our roster that can't continue.
There was no way James was a 2 guard. He was a terrible shooter. Take away his dunks and layups and he probably shot 20% for his career.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:38:08 AM by bilsu »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »
There was no way James was a 2 guard. He was a terrible shooter. Take away his dunks and layups and he probably shot 20% for his career.

Yes, he was a terrible shooter, but did that stop him from jacking up shots? As talented as James was, his biggest flaw outside of free throws was that when he was cold, he tried to shoot his way out of trouble. He wasn't bad distributing the ball, but when it came to mindset and playing style, he was much more Iverson than Stockton.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »
Yes, he was a terrible shooter, but did that stop him from jacking up shots? As talented as James was, his biggest flaw outside of free throws was that when he was cold, he tried to shoot his way out of trouble. He wasn't bad distributing the ball, but when it came to mindset and playing style, he was much more Iverson than Stockton.
Love it when Marquette fans criticize Dominic.  What is he, third or fourth all-time in scoring, second in assists and way up the list in steals?  Took the reigns from Travis Diener as a freshman and led the team to the NCAA after two straight NIT bids earning Big East freshman of the year and it was Marquette's first year in the Big East and people forget about that.

He lost confidence in his shot, but he still distributed the ball and I have a friend who played basketball at Marquette 55 years ago and he's had season tickets ever sense and he still says Dominic was the best on-ball defender he's ever seen in a Marquette uniform.  Don't forget he also won a number of games with buzzer beating or near last second shots over his career.

Look at everything the young man did for this program over 4 years and his positives far, far outweigh any negatives regarding his shooting.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »
Look at everything the young man did for this program over 4 years and his positives far, far outweigh any negatives regarding his shooting.

Agree with almost everything you say.

I think part of DJ's problem - and it wasn't necessarily of his own making - is that he had such a fantastic freshman year it set a very high bar for him (especially in the eyes of many fans). When he never really surpassed that level, many were disappiointed.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 12:44:52 PM »

Well duh. My original post on the topic asked the question if Dominic James was bad for Marquette because he was undersized. I think it'd be silly to say he was bad for the program. Great defender, could penetrate to the rim, clutch player, and despite his flaws, what seemed to be the difference between a top-15 team and a premature NCAA exit was James' injury his senior year.

Yes, we went into freefall at the end of the season largely due to a brutal bit of scheduling, but I feel that had James been healthy, we would have every chance of beating Connecticut, Louisville, and Syracuse, and possibly pulling down a 2 or 3 seed in the tournament. Acker wasn't nearly the player in 2009 that James was. Not even close. Yes, we played 4 top-25 teams to close the season, but in my mind there is absolutely no coincidence in that team losing James to injury and losing four in a row. If James stays healthy I think we win those three games (still lose to Pitt) and finish tied with Pitt atop the Big East standings, on missing out on the regular season conference title due to tiebreakers.

But as great as James was for the program, as many big games he won, and for all his positives, it doesn't change that he was an awful free throw shooter and poor shooter in general. Didn't make him a bad player, but I fail to see how any of my post that you chose to quote becomes inaccurate. Bad shooter, tried to shoot his way out of trouble, and had more of an Iverson than Stockton mindset, especially when he was on a cold shooting streak. However I still think that all the good he did for the program makes him a great example of why we should continue to recruit 6-foot and shorter players with shooting guard mentalities if the talent is there.

Simply, if Derrick Wilson can display the talents and on-court acumen of guys like James, Cubillan, and Acker, I want him at Marquette, period.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »
The odd thing about James was as bad a shooter as he was, he was the player I wanted to take the last shot or be at the free throw line at the end of the game. He may of missed, because of his ability, but he in my mind would have never choked. He was mently tougher with the game on the line. He hit game winner against NC ST and sent Louisville game into overtime. There were probably more, but those are the two I remember. He also gave up at least 20 layups in his careeer to McNeal. James would have the lead on a break and give it to McNeal who was coming up behind him.  The last two years McNeal would never give up the ball and often got called for a charge instead of passing off. My own personal feeling is that it was an injustice that McNeal ended up are all time leading scorer instead of James. James was the much better team player.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
He lost confidence in his shot, but he still distributed the ball and I have a friend who played basketball at Marquette 55 years ago and he's had season tickets ever sense and he still says Dominic was the best on-ball defender he's ever seen in a Marquette uniform. 

Nope, sorry, the best on ball defender was Mandy Johnson, followed by Michael Wilson. James definitely would be up there, however.
Pretty hard to gauge this considering differences in game over the years.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muball

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »
sorry but I loved Mandy and Michael ans watched there careers but DJ was better then Mandy as an athelete and Michael. DJ was stronger and more atheletic then Mandy and also quicker then Michael/ They were good but not as good as DJ on defense and I think the 3pt line make it tougher today as you have to guard the perimeter and paint.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »

Think about the reality of it.  These kids have one or two years to showcase their talents to get to the NBA.  Typically as a Sophomore or Junior (if lucky as a Senior if they stay around).  That's how many of these guys think.  Therefore, if there is any other player on the roster that is going to vie for time or opportunity, then that is a big consideration for these kids.  They are going to look out for number 1, as they should, and as such who else is on the existing roster is a big deal. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2010, 08:58:12 PM »
His senior year, Buzz, managed to get him to play like a point guard. He only took about one bad shot a game. Buzz got through to him some how.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2010, 02:09:38 PM »
Derrick Wilson is a great addition. If DJO goes pro Marquette may possibly have only 3 guards on scholarship Cadougan, Smith and Blue in 2011-2012. Go Marquette.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »

DJames' poor shot selection came from his coach more than anything.  Crean called a lot of shots for James, and we really relied on his shooting to win games.  James lighting up Duke in the Thanksgiving tourney his soph year was the worst thing that could have happened to him.  Crean and James both thought he was NBA bound after that and Crean planned the offensive attack accordingly.

When Buzz got on board, James became a true point guard and Buzz got more shots for the better scorers on the team.  Crean misjudged who the NBA talent was on the team, and like Wes said, Buzz unleashed him.

So, the point is, we cannot really blame James.  His coach told him to jack shots up.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2010, 02:34:44 PM »
So, the point is, we cannot really blame James.  His coach told him to jack shots up.

His coach also ran a pro set weave offense that caused DJ to hold the ball a long time...and the last option with the time clock running down was to launch it.  TC's offense worked well with DW3, Diener, RJax and Merritt on the floor, not Burke and Barro.  Crean was a system coach.  Buzz adjusts his motion offense to the talent on the floor which is why Wes was unleashed.  

Derrick Wilson is a great addition.

On another note, did Wilson commit?  "Is" or "would be"?

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2010, 09:34:14 PM »
Derrick Wilson is a great addition for any program and would be for Marquette. Go MU.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2010, 09:49:15 PM »
Wilson definitely looks like a running back:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQKyoTSKMrc&feature=related

Thunder and lighting in the backcourt with Smith and Wilson?

feedback