[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #52  (Read 8717 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: #52
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:08:03 PM »
Interesting that they have Vander as our starting point guard. In the scrimmages I've seen he's been playing off the ball.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »
"Replacing Maurice Acker and David Cubillan will not be easy."

That's my favorite part of the article, for many reasons.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 10:29:27 PM »
I don't think there is a whole lot right with this article

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 10:46:58 PM »
I'm betting they meant replacing their experience and decisionmaking.  Solid with the ball and not easily rattled.

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »
Perhaps this bio sketch of the author explains the quality of the article:

Growing up in Michigan, Joel Welser inherited a love for Big Ten sports. After defying all family traditions and not going to Michigan State, Joel headed out west to earn his bachelor degree from California State University, Northridge in Cinema Television Arts, specializing in screenwriting. For reasons still unknown, after his stint in Hollywood, Joel headed back to Michigan where he remains to this day complaining about the cold.

I think Mr Welser should have stayed in Hollywood writing fiction. Though now baack in Michigan he continues to play fast and loose with the facts. Or, is it simply that he is a Big Ten person?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 10:54:14 PM »
I'm betting they meant replacing their experience and decisionmaking.  Solid with the ball and not easily rattled.

And both shot the ball very well. I really think people are underestimating how good those two were last year, despite their limitations.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 11:26:39 PM »
And both shot the ball very well. I really think people are underestimating how good those two were last year, despite their limitations.

Agreed.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 11:33:49 PM »
does anyone know why buzz's record is 47-21 on this website (and crackedsidewalks)? did i miss something, i could have sworn, or i know hes 47-22? anyone?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 11:41:59 PM »
does anyone know why buzz's record is 47-21 on this website (and crackedsidewalks)? did i miss something, i could have sworn, or i know hes 47-22? anyone?

No one is recognizing the loss to DePaul...everyone figures it didn't really happen

Updated in teal so Salsaman (love his latest name and incarnation) can follow along.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:26:39 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »
No one is recognizing the loss to DePaul...every figures it didn't really happen

A more horrific loss was the bitch slapping given to Marquette by Western Michigan in the first round of the NIT at The Bradley Center. Or was it the 33 point loss to Kansas on the biggest stage of all?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 12:10:47 AM »
A more horrific loss was the bitch slapping given to Marquette by Western Michigan in the first round of the NIT at The Bradley Center. Or was it the 33 point loss to Kansas on the biggest stage of all?

I'll put it in teal for you next time.

But yes, losing to the national runner-up and #2 team in the nation is more horrific then losing to a team that has won one game in 2 years in the league.  I can definitely see where you are coming from.

And Western Michigan made the NIT...a post season team.....again, I can definitely see where you are coming from.

You've nailed it.

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
It is all about context.

The loss to KU was before the entire nation. Our talent was there; the game plan was atrocious. That night told the nation we didn't belong.

Western Michigan? At home? It was jarring testimony just how far we had fallen once Wade left campus. I know others around the nation asked if the Final Four was a fluke.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 07:31:51 AM »
A few days earlier when we spanked #1 Kentucky showed we belonged.  Two days before that when we beat #4 Pittsburgh, showed we belonged.  A week earlier when we beat #25 Missouri and Holy Cross, showed we belonged.  Having a record of 27-4 going into that KU game, showed we belonged.  Beating the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, SEC champs that year, showed we belonged.  Capturing the CUSA title, showed we belonged.

I could go on, but clearly you seem to think one game defined an entire season....I'm guessing there's only one reason why you think that and it's fairly easy to identify in your posts.

I've updated the earlier post to put it in teal so we're all on the same page now as well.

Have a great day.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 07:42:43 AM »
A few days earlier when we spanked #1 Kentucky showed we belonged.  Two days before that when we beat #4 Pittsburgh, showed we belonged.  A week earlier when we beat #25 Missouri and Holy Cross, showed we belonged.  Having a record of 27-4 going into that KU game, showed we belonged.  Beating the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, SEC champs that year, showed we belonged.  Capturing the CUSA title, showed we belonged.

I could go on, but clearly you seem to think one game defined an entire season....I'm guessing there's only one reason why you think that and it's fairly easy to identify in your posts.

I've updated the earlier post to put it in teal so we're all on the same page now as well.

Have a great day.

You are correct the season showed we belonged, but unfortunately many if not most people who watch the final four are casual fans who were judging MU based on that one game, and in their eyes we did not belong.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 08:36:07 AM »

You are correct the season showed we belonged, but unfortunately many if not most people who watch the final four are casual fans who were judging MU based on that one game, and in their eyes we did not belong.

The casual fans don't even remember who was IN the game 10 minutes after it ended.  And even then they couldn't tell you the names of the teams--only their uniform colors. 

Meanwhile, any fan with more than two functioning brain cells knows you can't get to the final four on a fluke.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »
It is all about context.

I thought the context was Buzz's record?

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 08:52:35 AM »
Clearly it was not only the loss to KU, but the ill-prepared manner in which they did so. With a week to get ready, Crean dropped a turd on college basketball's biggest stage and exposed him for the fraud and phony we all now realize he is.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 08:59:22 AM »
The casual fans don't even remember who was IN the game 10 minutes after it ended.  And even then they couldn't tell you the names of the teams--only their uniform colors. 

Meanwhile, any fan with more than two functioning brain cells knows you can't get to the final four on a fluke.

What would you call George Mason then?

I see your point, but I'd rephrase to say "a #3 seed making it to the Final Four could not be considered a fluke."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 09:05:36 AM »

Beating a 14-seed by 2 points showed MU belonged?

(That was a good post, Chicos. I just couldn't resist ;) )

Many MU fans forget (or refuse to acknowledge) that Crean did some great things for MU basketball. Say what you want about TC as a person, but you can't deny that he put MU back on the basketball map.

That being said, he completely botched the Kansas game. He overestimated his own team and underestimated his opponent. He thought MU could run with Kansas and they got their doors blown off. However, does anyone not associated with MU or Kansas even remember that game? I doubt it. In the grand scheme of things, that one game really did nothing to hurt MU in any way shape or form.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 09:37:12 AM »

I am not arguing that the final four run was a fluke. Obviously it was not. I disagree with you on how you characterize the "casual fan". What you are saying is on the extreme end. The median audience, probably came away with the opinion that MU didn't belong. Hell some announcers and analysts were saying it and I remember some calling MU a mid major.

Did it matter in the long run? No But it would have been a lot better to have at least a respectable showing.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »

Really? You give a sh## about an NIT loss???? Uou have the bar set pretty low. I will take any type loss in the NCAA Finals against a frigging NIT loss every year..

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 11:57:18 AM »
I am not arguing that the final four run was a fluke. Obviously it was not. I disagree with you on how you characterize the "casual fan". What you are saying is on the extreme end. The median audience, probably came away with the opinion that MU didn't belong. Hell some announcers and analysts were saying it and I remember some calling MU a mid major.

Did it matter in the long run? No But it would have been a lot better to have at least a respectable showing.

I think your comment about being called a mid-major is out of context. The comment was made by Billy Packer in the selection show--mainly because we were a small Catholic school in CUSA--not an ACC power.

Second, I think our memories differ on what the way the announcers were discussing the game.  As I recall, they said something along the lines of "this is not the same Marquette team that beat #4 Pitt and #1 Kentucky to get here" and "Marquette just ran into the Kansas buzzsaw."   

I simply don't recall anyone anyone saying "Boy, we never thought MU belonged at this level, and this game proves it." 

muchalktalk

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 03:01:10 PM »
Some of you are hilarious.  Diener (who was fighting shin-splints) and Novak, who had been shooting really well before that game, were a combined 2-18.  We shot 19% from the three point line.  I'm not sure how that translates into Crean laying an egg. 

Unfortunately, some here will do whatever they can to tear-down Crean, even if it means tearing-down a team that did wonders for MU.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 03:29:38 PM »
Some of you are hilarious.  Diener (who was fighting shin-splints) and Novak, who had been shooting really well before that game, were a combined 2-18.  We shot 19% from the three point line.  I'm not sure how that translates into Crean laying an egg. 

Unfortunately, some here will do whatever they can to tear-down Crean, even if it means tearing-down a team that did wonders for MU.

The shooting was obviously an issue.  But, the real problem was the game plan under which MU tried to run with Kansas.  Big mistake by TC.  But I would not call it laying an egg... ::)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »
Actually... Crean's mistake was not sending someone to give Hinrich a midnight haircut (maybe shaving his eyebrows while he slept, too).  That is the one thing that would have assured the Warriors a shot against 'Cuse in the finals.  Crean knew this, and Crean dropped the ball.

Damn you, TC.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mrr1981

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 04:55:24 PM »
I don't remember much about that Syracuse team other than Melo, but how would we have done had we escaped Kansas?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 11:39:17 PM »
All the damn belly aching about that game is comical.  Let's just hope we sniff that opportunity again in the next decade

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 11:51:42 PM »
All the damn belly aching about that game is comical.  Let's just hope we sniff that opportunity again in the next decade

+1  baby steps though.  Let's hope we sniff a sweet 16 first

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 11:59:03 PM »
Apparently, the memory of that game has never been lost on DWade.  After being stymied by Captain Kirk in the FF game, he's torched Hinrich several times since then.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 06:26:55 AM »

Even looking back now, I would bet most MU fans (except the ones actually at the final four) could tell you who Syracuse played in the other semifinal.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 07:02:13 AM »

Howe dare you!  How dare, you coming to a message and using facts and reason!  I am flabbergasted.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 07:49:06 AM »
+1  baby steps though.  Let's hope we sniff a sweet 16 first

Bollocks to baby steps.  This is a message board.  I demand Championships!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 09:32:42 AM »
I don't remember much about that Syracuse team other than Melo, but how would we have done had we escaped Kansas?

Probably an ass kicking as well. They did win the title after-all.

They handled a Texas team lead by TJ Ford. That team also had Ivey and the Mouton kid who's brother won a title at Maryland, I think.

Cuse had Melo of course but also Gerry McNamara (who was a stud that year as a Frosh) and future NBAer in Hakim Warrick.

There was some real talent in that Final Four.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »
I don't think there was much Crean could have done against Kansas.  They were hot, hot, hot and we were not to start the game.  We could have slowed it down and should have, but I'm not too sure that would have made much of a difference.

I do think that Crean treated the FF more like a party, and Crean spent a lot of time out and about.  Whereas, Kansas, having been there (the year before I believe) hunkered down and were not happy to just be there - they wanted to win it.  Kansas was all business.  We were happy to be in the show.  That part of it could have been managed better by Crean.  But so what, he got us to the FF and he deserves a lot of credit for it. 

Kansas just had one of those games and we had the opposit, especially in the first half.  Sometimes things go that way.  Maybe our mindset could have been better, but like the team, I was just thrilled to be there.

feedback