[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: ESPN Insider has Preview of Marquette online today  (Read 11033 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
ESPN Insider has Preview of Marquette online today
« on: October 19, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
Just a FYI

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
Re: ESPN Insider has Preview of Marquette online today
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »
Link?  Can't find it on espn.com
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:24:36 PM »
Why doesn't somebody with an ESPN Insider account just post the article, I thought that is cool on this site.   After all, it's not stealing, just piracy.

Maybe this post should be in teal?

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 08:58:01 PM »
This is all I'm going to allow you to see! Hehe. However, the Pitt review is free for non-subscribers!

---------------------------------------------
BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS
BACKCOURT: B
BENCH/DEPTH: B+
FRONTCOURT: B-
INTANGIBLES: C+

Williams has made a living at MU thus far proving doubters wrong. Last season was a perfect example, as he led a team that on paper probably had no business getting into the NCAA Tournament to not only a berth in the Big Dance, but a No. 6 seed at that.

This year he'll finally get a chance to do things his way, with a roster consisting of all players he recruited. That can't be understated, even though Williams clearly did well with what he inherited from Crean. Williams values flexibility and depth, and he's got that at virtually every position. If the Golden Eagles can avoid the fluky injuries that hamstrung them the last few seasons, they'll have the manpower to compete with just about anyone in the Big East.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »
...here we go.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »
ARREST THAT MAN!!!

MUSig54

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 10:43:46 PM »
A C+ for intangibles? I figured that'd be our strong suit.

mklenn

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:54:07 PM »
COACH AND PROGRAM

Of all the adjectives to describe Buzz Williams in his first two years as coach of the Marquette Golden Eagles, adaptable might be the most fitting.

In 2008-09, he inherited a senior, guard-dominated squad that he subsequently set free offensively. Last season, coaching a group that lacked both size and a bench, Williams flipped the script and turned to a deliberate, ball-control attack.

Both years ended with the Golden Eagles in the NCAA Tournament, extending MU's streak of making the Big Dance to five straight seasons while at the same time cementing Williams' reputation as one of college basketball's young up-and-comers on the sideline.

Back for his third tour of duty in Milwaukee, Williams finally has a team comprised completely of players he recruited (he landed senior Joe Fulce and redshirt sophomore Chris Otule as Tom Crean's assistant in 2007-08).

And with more athleticism and depth from spots one to 12 (Oregon transfer Jamil Wilson must sit out because of NCAA rules) than has suited up for MU in at least a decade, expectations for another solid season in the Big East appear more than reasonable -- even despite the fact five players have yet to play a minute of Division I basketball and two others have next to no experience.

"I think our roster is beginning to become more of a Big East-contending type roster," he said. "I hope that we can play faster. There was a distinct style that we had to play last year in order to give ourselves a chance, and I hope that this year maybe we can play a few possessions per game quicker because we'll have more guys.

"But then again, a lot of the guys that we're counting on have yet to produce in the Big East. So it's hard to say now."

Exceeding outside expectations is something Williams and his Golden Eagles have become adept at -- winning an MU-best 12 Big East games in 2008-09 and then finishing fifth last season after being picked for 12th in the preseason by the league's coaches.

MU and Pittsburgh are the only two teams to have recorded at least 10 victories in Big East play each of the last five years. The Golden Eagles joined the league in 2005-06.

The Big East was a veritable roller coaster last year for the Golden Eagles, who suffered heartbreaking losses to West Virginia and Villanova (twice) early on, only to rebound and win 11 of their final 13 games. That run was punctuated by a season-defining stretch in which they won three consecutive road games in overtime -- at Cincinnati, St. John's and Seton Hall -- and then beat Villanova to advance to the semifinals of the Big East Tournament.

The bounce-back began with a 70-68 win at Connecticut thanks to a dramatic game-winning shot in the closing seconds by 6-7 senior forward Jimmy Butler, who reprised the feat in MU's 63-61 overtime decision at St. John's and ultimately finished second to NBA first-round draft pick Lazar Hayward in both scoring and rebounding.

PLAYERS

Butler (14.7 ppg, 6.4 rpg) will have to provide even more clutch plays and leadership this season for the Golden Eagles, who boast only three seniors -- none of whom has played more than three years in the program. The best player of that triumvirate, Butler has risen from energizer off the bench as a sophomore to an indispensable, do-everything security blanket for Williams.

Marquette Golden Eagles
Last Season 22-12 (.647)
Conference Record 11-7 (t-5th)
Starters Lost/Returning 2/3
Coach Buzz Williams (Oklahoma City '94)
Record At School 47-22 (2 years)
Career Record 61-39 (3 years)
RPI Last 5 years 40-27-20-30-55

One of Butler's strengths in his first two years was his ability to score despite having few plays run for him thanks to an uncanny knack on the offensive glass. So, too, was his willingness to guard players in the post that on a nightly basis both towered over him and out-weighed him.

Butler will be asked to do more of the same this season on both ends, although he's certain to have his number called much more frequently in end-of-game situations. He's also been willing to accept the leadership mantle from Hayward, which may be just as important with such a young group overall.

"It's been a great story, and midway through the story, the predicted ending has changed, and I think that's great for Jimmy," Williams said. "I think what's going to determine the ending is what kind of leader can he be? He came here thinking he'd be the seventh or eighth guy, and 10 games into his season here he's the sixth man, and at the end of the year he's playing 30 minutes a game as a sophomore. Last year we couldn't take him off the floor.

"So the metamorphosis of him as a player, him as a person, how successful that is, I think, will depend upon the leader that he becomes."

Expected to earn major minutes alongside Butler in the frontcourt will be another junior college transfer, junior Jae Crowder.

Crowder arrives at MU with plenty of credentials, having been chosen the NJCAA national player of the year after leading Howard College in Big Spring, Texas to its first national title. He's also the son of former NBA player Corey Crowder, who had a cup of coffee with the Utah Jazz in 1992.

While Crowder (18.9 ppg, 9.0 rpg) was the only member of the Golden Eagles' five-man recruiting class to have not spent the summer on campus -- he was finishing up coursework at Howard -- the junior will be expected to hit the ground running at MU nonetheless.

At 6-6 and 225 pounds and possessing a similar skill set because of his ability to play from the inside out, Crowder has drawn favorable comparisons to Hayward, MU's second all-time leading scorer who's now playing for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Crowder will even don Hayward's old No. 32 jersey, which won't do anything to quiet the comparisons.

"I think the similarity relative to Lazar is this: they're both really good people, and I think they both have a very mature personality," said Williams, who said Crowder is a better lateral athlete than Hayward, but not as strong a shooter.

"Jae knows how to work. He's not a kid, he doesn't think like a kid, and I think his mentality will contribute just as much early on in his career as his skill set. And I think that once he becomes acclimated to what we're doing that he'll have a specific role for us on both ends of the floor similar to Lazar. I don't know that I want to compare him to Lazar."

Another newcomer who should push for minutes on the wing is 6-6 freshman Jamail Jones (16.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg), who last season helped Montverde (Fla.) Academy to a No. 5 national ranking, a 25-4 record and an appearance in the championship game of the ESPN RISE tournament.

"His body will allow him to be better than most freshmen," Williams said. "Early on his body will hide some of his deficiencies because he's 6-6, big-boned, got good strength. The best thing he could do to help our team is he can rebound the ball."

The 6-7 Fulce (3.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg), coming off major knee problems as a sophomore, finally found his groove down the stretch of last season and was able to fill the "energizer" role off the bench that Butler held down so ably the previous year.

His role will probably be the same this season, although more consistency will allow Williams to increase his minutes.

"We need him to be more on both ends of the floor than he's ever been, and I think he will be," Williams said. "I think that he'll always be an energizer-type player. I just hope he can become a guy that can play the scouting report on the defensive end of the floor, no matter how many possessions he plays."

Sophomore Erik Williams (1.2 ppg, 1.4 rpg) saw spotty minutes in 19 games, and while athletic with a great frame at 6-7 and 210 pounds, wasn't nearly good enough defensively. If he can pick it up on that end of the floor, he could find some minutes.

"He's gained 11 pounds of muscle since January," Williams said. "His body has changed, and because his body has changed, his confidence level has changed, and that's somewhat helped him come out of the daze that he was in."

Blue Ribbon Previews
 Take an Inside look at the Big East with Blue Ribbon's 2010-11 team reports:

.Cincinnati
Connecticut
DePaul
Georgetown
Louisville
Marquette
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh 
Providence
Rutgers
Seton Hall
South Florida
St. John's
Syracuse
Villanova
West Virginia

Otule (3.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg) is entering his third season at MU but has played just 12 games after being sidelined twice by broken feet. By far the Golden Eagles' tallest player at 6-11 and 260 pounds, he'd be an absolute godsend this season if he can give the team any semblance of a post game offensively and a few rebounds and blocked shots on the other end.

"As I tell him every day, and he's well aware, 'you've had two years of redshirt. And now with all the things invested in you, there's got to be a return on that investment,' " Williams said. "I think he's prepared for that. But I think in order to have a return, you do have to be healthy.

MU's other true post player, Davante' Gardner (22.2 ppg, 12.1 rpg at King's Fork HS, Suffolk, Va.), stands 6-8 but tips the scales at 290 pounds. He's skilled, but he's going to need to drop a lot of weight before he becomes a factor.

"His body's not quite as bad as it appears," Williams said. "He's deceptive, though. His hands and feet are that of a 6-6, 200-pound guy."

If there's any player on the MU roster possessing true star power, it's 6-2 junior guard Darius Johnson-Odom (13.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg).

Slowed early last year by a foot injury suffered in pre-season workouts, the former junior college star burst onto the scene to the tune of a team-best 73 three-pointers knocked down at a ridiculous .474 clip. And as deadly as he was from long range, the left-handed Johnson-Odom was also more than capable of using an effective pump fake to get into the lane and finish against taller timber.

If there was one knock on his game, it was that he wasn't aggressive enough -- something MU will need him to get over quickly as it looks to him to provide the majority of the punch from the perimeter. He also needs to cut down on turnovers.

"From the time we got beat against Washington, he has probably evolved as a leader in a more effective way and at a faster pace than any other player that I've seen," Williams said. "He's very humble in how he handles his talent, and he's beginning to understand that no matter how talented he is, he's got to have some other guys that understand what we're about. I'm excited, and I hope that he has 65-68 games left in his career here, because I think he's a guy we'll be able to count on."

Milwaukee native Dwight Buycks (6.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg) enters this season looking to make much more of an impact than he did last year, when he was a highly touted junior college recruit. At 6-3 the senior is athletic and versatile, but too often as a junior played out of control while also battling a series of nagging injuries that cut down on his effectiveness.

"I'm excited about him," Williams said. "I gave Dwight too much too early and that bit him and me in the back in the end. I learned a great lesson with that. He learned a great lesson. We're both on the same page."

Sophomore Junior Cadougan (0.3 ppg, 0.4 rpg), 6-1 and 205 pounds, returns as the odds-on favorite to start at point guard, which would have been hard to believe a year ago when he suffered what appeared to be a season-ending rupture to his Achilles' tendon. Four months of grueling rehabilitation convinced him to give up a medical red-shirt and he played a limited role down the stretch, but he admittedly wasn't close to 100 percent and struggled as a result.

Now, after a full offseason of work, he's back to full health and looking to be the top-100 recruit the Toronto native was billed as coming out of high school.

"I absolutely love Junior. I love his toughness," said Williams. "I don't know that he's a great shooter; that'll determine how great he's going to be and the success that we have as a team while he's here."

Cadougan will be pushed by a pair of athletic incoming freshmen: Vander Blue and Reggie Smith.

Blue (16.9 ppg, 7.4 rpg at Madison [Wis.] Memorial HS), who caused a stir within the state when he backed out of a commitment to Wisconsin to sign with MU, is a consensus top-40 recruit, making him the most decorated athlete to sign with the school in almost 30 years.

At 6-4, he'll be expected to play as many as three guard positions for the Golden Eagles. While his offense remains a work in progress, his defense is what should keep him on the floor in crucial situations. He was regarded as the stopper on USA Basketball's gold-medal-winning U18 FIBA Americas Championship team over the summer, where he started alongside fellow high-profile recruits Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers.

"I think any experience like that is beneficial," Williams said of Blue's summer. "As he figures it out, I think he's going to be really good. He's got parts of his game that he needs to work on; he's definitely not a finished product. But he's got an edge to how he plays, and I think that matches the edge that I coach with."

The 6-0 Smith (18.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg at Thornton Township [Ill.] HS) harkens memories of Dominic James with regard to his incredible leaping ability and quickness. He'll need some time to learn the finer points of the point-guard spot, but his willingness like Blue to stick his nose in defensively figures to help endear him to Williams.

"Defensively, he can grow into a guy like Dominic was, and hold a guy to 0-for-8 in a Big East game just because of what he does defensively," Williams said. "Like most freshmen, they all think about offense. I think he can have just as much of an impact defensively early on."

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 10:56:27 PM »
I suggest all you basketball junkies buy the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook (cost-$30 or so).  That is what ESPN has on-line.  Quick overview...MU picked to finish 11th in the BEAST. Rosiak does a great job with player by player overview and says if we can avoid injury we can play with the best in the BEAST.  1-5  PITT,NOVA,CUSE,GTOWN,WV,ND.  Top 5 in the country...DUKE,MSU,OH ST.,PITT,PURDUE.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 05:23:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing, a good review overall and despite the 11th place prediction, makes me optimistic for the upcoming season.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 07:57:03 AM »
Real men don't steal the Internet.  How would you like it if I broke into your house and stole your children?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 08:16:08 AM »
Real men don't steal the Internet.  How would you like it if I broke into your house and stole your children?

We'll, I have finally figured out the punishment for Ners.

Edit: My Microsoft Paint skills are the tits.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:17:47 AM by reinko »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »
edit: skipping the comment - already been proven to not be worth the discussion...

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:55:02 AM by madtownwarrior »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 09:18:57 AM »
We'll, I have finally figured out the punishment for Ners.

Edit: My Microsoft Paint skills are the tits.

Well done Reinko - you'll see me on the corner of 4th and State before 1 game this season with this device harnassed around my frame!  In the meantime djgoldnboy and muguru will be shouting crucify him, crucify him...and turn me over to Pontius Pilate, played by Dodds..who will then have me crucified to the Bradley Center scoreboard.  Do I think I'm Jesus?  No, but rather just a martyr for the plebians here at Scoop.  That said, my apology to those offended on the Scout site was sincere..and I have learned my lesson.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

sarcastro

• Starter
  • Live Comedy. Dead Serious.
    • Coalition Theater
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 09:29:39 AM »
Real men don't steal the Internet.  How would you like it if I broke into your house and stole your children?

No need to break into my house.  Just tell me where you live and I'll send them over.

Thanks!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 09:36:17 AM »
No need to break into my house.  Just tell me where you live and I'll send them over.

Thanks!

Bahahaha!

On second thought I'll stick with just cats :)

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 06:04:31 PM »
A certain premium message board has posted a certain insider espn article very similar to this one. Just saying.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 06:12:02 PM »
A certain premium message board has posted a certain insider espn article very similar to this one. Just saying.

Well, apparently since a site stole from them, it's okay for them to steal from another site. Must be some kind of "what goes around comes around" logic.

Or maybe it's a reason for TallTitan to report that certain premium message board to ESPN :D
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 07:19:26 PM »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 07:43:39 PM »

SPCMU06

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 08:15:36 PM »
Fran Fraschilla gives some nice love at about 2:28 in this video..

http://espn.go.com/blog/CollegeBasketballNation/post/_/id/16869/espn-coms-big-east-preview

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »