[Today at 05:39:36 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU picked eighth by Big East coaches  (Read 4017 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] MU picked eighth by Big East coaches
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »
MU picked eighth by Big East coaches

The Marquette Golden Eagles have been picked to finish eighth in the  Big East this season according to the pre-season coaches' poll, released  today in advance of the league's annual media day in New York.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/105345388.html

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU picked eighth by Big East coaches
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 10:53:44 AM »
Woah, a little respect from the coaches.  We are usually picked to fall in the lower half.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »
I think that's fair, to be honest. Still young and undersized, this time without the three pointers being relied on to balance that out.

I think their ceiling is about 6th.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »
Year           Predicted Finish   Actual Finish   
05-06           12                   4 (tied for 5th and won tiebreaker)              
06-07           4                   5   
07-08        3                   6 (tied for 5th and lost tiebreaker)   
08-09       6                   5   
09-10           12                   5   
10-11           8                   ???      

sorry about formatting
Updated with tiebreaker info (thanks)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:30:34 AM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »
We actually tied for 5th in 2007/2008. I know we were seeded 6th in the conference tournament on a tir breaker but we still finished tied for 5th in the league.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »
Year           Predicted Finish   Actual Finish   
05-06           12                   4 (tied for 5th and won tiebreaker)              
06-07           4                   5   
07-08        3                   6 (tied for 5th and lost tiebreaker)   
08-09       6                   5   
09-10           12                   5   
10-11           8                   ???      

sorry about formatting
Updated with tiebreaker info (thanks)

great info, henry.  people argue all the time that we get no respect...predicted to finish 4, 3rd and 6th in consecutive years shows a lot of respect.  i think the 12th place and 8th place predictions are fair given the uncertainties of the team in those given years.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:45:49 AM by dwaderoy2004 »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 12:01:28 PM »
I think that's fair, to be honest. Still young and undersized, this time without the three pointers being relied on to balance that out.

I think their ceiling is about 6th.

I agree that I think its fair as well....about time we deserve to not be ranked 10+. However you think our ceiling is just 6th? Maybe my definition of a ceiling is much different than yours but I think our maximum potential is a top 3-4 squad. Not saying we will do it or that its even probable, but if we are talking about our ceiling I think that you should be aiming a bit higher than a lower finish than last year's team (5th).

Hell, according to Henry Sugar's info...we havent placed LOWER than 6th!

And what makes you think we can't rely on three pointers again this year? DJO was our best shooter, Crowder is a fine 3 pt shooter for a big man (MU big), Butler is efficient when he chooses to shoot it from there, everyone knows Jamail Jones can knock them down and even Buycks is decent.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:03:11 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 01:33:16 PM »
And what makes you think we can't rely on three pointers again this year? DJO was our best shooter, Crowder is a fine 3 pt shooter for a big man (MU big), Butler is efficient when he chooses to shoot it from there, everyone knows Jamail Jones can knock them down and even Buycks is decent.

DJO I'm not worried about. Crowder is decent. Butler doesn't shoot them enough, and both will be needed on the glass. Jones has a wildly inconsistent shot, anyone at the Pro-Am saw that. Buycks can shoot it, but he still has no idea what a good shot is.

Even though Mo and Cubi weren't great players, don't underestimate the value of seniors handling the ball. I don't think this year's team will be close to as efficient. There's a ton of inexperience at the guard spot. Unless Otule breaks out, they won't play that much bigger most of the time.

All I'm saying is this- Experience and three point shooting covered up a ton of flaws last season. They're short on both of those areas, with much of the same flaws.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »
DJO I'm not worried about. Crowder is decent. Butler doesn't shoot them enough, and both will be needed on the glass. Jones has a wildly inconsistent shot, anyone at the Pro-Am saw that. Buycks can shoot it, but he still has no idea what a good shot is.

Even though Mo and Cubi weren't great players, don't underestimate the value of seniors handling the ball. I don't think this year's team will be close to as efficient. There's a ton of inexperience at the guard spot. Unless Otule breaks out, they won't play that much bigger most of the time.

All I'm saying is this- Experience and three point shooting covered up a ton of flaws last season. They're short on both of those areas, with much of the same flaws.

Im just not worried at all about 3 PT shooting. Buzz has made that a significant and dependable part of our offense since he became HC (who thought Jerel could be that hot his Sr. year?). Even Mo never had that much success shooting from 3pt range before last year. I also think you're undervaluing Crowder and Butler too, but the main reason Im not too worried is that Buzz seems pretty good at finding open shots for our team and I dont care what team you are on, if you have a lot of open shots your shooting percentage will be pretty respectable.

Inexperience Ill give you....but isnt that what everyone said last year? I think there is a lot more known quantities on this team this year than there were last year (Last year we had to replace 3 Sr. guards and returned 1 starter -  why is everyone acting like it is even worse this year?). I just dont see it, we return 3 seniors and 2 of our top 3 scorers. Not that experience won't be an issue this year, I just buy that it will be THE issue.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:01:17 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 08:40:16 PM »
I think Seton Hall will be better then most people expect. Challenging for an NCAA spot.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 09:46:20 PM »
wow you'd think the coaches would have learned to just slot you at 5th by now  :D you've finished there every season.

You'll never win the league, but at least you'll always make the NCAAs ;)

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 10:25:18 PM »
26 pts mean that at least some of the voters picked Depaul to finish above last place.  I can only take this to mean that there is an open bar during the voting   
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

feedback