[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Vander getting some love from ESPN  (Read 14489 times)

Murffieus

• All American
Re: Vander getting some love from ESPN
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 11:18:03 AM »
The more you are in a hurry, the more mistakes you're bound to make. Also it's easier for a slow tempo team to get a high tempo team to play its game than vice a versa.

Henry Sugar is correct in that if you are underdog ideally you want to slow the game down, if you are the favorite ideally you want to speed it up-----but I use the word "ideally" because I'm not sure that most teams are able to make that type of adjustment from game to game without losing synergy in between.

Hence most teams generally are rated eother uptemo or low tempo.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »
Murf, HS flat out said that according to his study of the data, the % of turnovers to posessions is a constant regardless of tempo.   I don't know the exact numbers, obviously, but what he is saying that a team that averages 5 turnovers per 50 posessions will average 7 pers 70.    The raw number of turnovers per game will be higher with an uptempo team, but the ratio is a constant.  Henry, I am assuming you mean within a team.   I.E.,  MU's turnover/posession ratio is constant regardless of tempo, but is an independent number from any other team's ratio. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
A team can play at a fast pace and still not be in a hurry if they are taking good shots.  Likewise, a team could play at a very slow pace and still not be composed (think the good ol' three man weave at the top of the key <shudders>).  I agree with Murff's additional points too.

To clarify, turnover rate is turnovers per possessions.  An average turnover rate is 20%, or turning the ball over one out of every five trips down the court.  A slower team (60 possessions per game) will get 12 turnovers per game if they are average.  A faster team (70 possessions) will get 14 if they are average.

I would have thought that the turnover rate goes up the faster the pace a team plays.  ie - a team that plays at 70 possessions tends to have a turnover rate higher than 20%.  Again, there's no proof that is the case.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.