[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Point Guard Recruits?  (Read 4666 times)

mikem91288

• Team Captain
Point Guard Recruits?
« on: October 12, 2010, 08:50:14 PM »
Haven't heard much noise about Nadir Thawpe lately or any other PG's for next year. Does anyone think we will go after a 1, with only Reggie and Junior on the squad? Or does Buzz just try and get the best players available and not worry about where they play, like he is always saying.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: Point Guard Recruits?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:53:57 PM »
Haven't heard much noise about Nadir Thawpe lately or any other PG's for next year. Does anyone think we will go after a 1, with only Reggie and Junior on the squad? Or does Buzz just try and get the best players available and not worry about where they play, like he is always saying.

Tharpe has blown up the last couple of months. I dont believe we have been mentioned with him in awhile.

In 2011, we will have JC, RS, and Singleton will also be eligible.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »
Trying to understand Tharpe's recruiting is like trying learn Chinese in a day.  He committed to Providence in March, then decommitted in June.  Soon after he was supposedly ready to commit to Minnesota, but didn't.  Weeks after that he was ready to commit to Rutgers, but didn't.  In August he had a list of 7 schools that included Marquette, by September he had a new list of 5 schools that only included one of his previous "favorites" and it wasn't Marquette.  At this point, the only thing you can say for certain about Tharpe is that things change all the time. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:09:33 PM »
I wouldn't see the need of a point guard for next years recruiting class.  We have Junior for three more years, Reggie for four years and I would think Vander is going to want to prove that he can play point as well.  It's hard to understand the world of recruiting, but I would think Buzz would go after a point guard to enter MU in the 2012-13 as he can sell the fact that Junior will be a senior and Reggie a junior.  That offers a player with a lot of skill and the ability to compete as a freshmen a good opportunity for minutes.  It also gives Buzz some time to see what he has in Reggie and Vander.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:23:36 PM »
I think he's going to try to land one in 2012.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:30:50 PM »
I think he's going to try to land one in 2012.

Agree. After this class is years class is complete (hoping its this fall...), Buzz will set his sights squarely on his next point guard. I imagine this time next year, we will be sweating over a few top-rated point guards.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »
Buzz has said repeatedly that he wants a PG in every class he recruits. Since we haven't really touched that spot this summer (with the exception of Faust possibly moving to 1 in his career) you have to imagine he feels Singleton is the PG of the 2011 class.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 11:53:28 AM »
Buzz has said repeatedly that he wants a PG in every class he recruits. Since we haven't really touched that spot this summer (with the exception of Faust possibly moving to 1 in his career) you have to imagine he feels Singleton is the PG of the 2011 class.
If Buzz said this, not sure I would agree to have a poing guard in each class, because then you would have too many every several years causing issues with pt and potential transfers. If he feels that way, fine, he is the coach. Then maybe he should have a center in every class also.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 11:59:21 AM »

I think he might see Anderson being able to play the point in spot duty as well. With Junior and Reggie (and Vander working on his PG skills) I'm not sure you need a starting level PG in each class. I'd be surprised if he signed one for 11. 2012, he'll definitely get one.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 12:13:40 PM »

Well I'm not sure he was using a little hyperbole here.  Right now, we have a sophomore likely to play point, with a freshman backing him up and another freshman that can play in a pinch.  To recruit another PG, when we only have two more scholies available, seems silly to me.  You are talking about someone who will likely not be playing much for a couple of years, which means we aren't going to get the cream of the crop here.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
What you want is not always what you get. I would interpret this to say that he will try to get a high level point guard in every class, but he is not going to waste a scholarship on a lower level player just to get a point guard.

drbchilds

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 12:23:06 PM »
He just gave a verbal to Kansas supposedly.......

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 12:25:25 PM »
Let's not forget Buzz doesn't really want to piegon-hole by position - we know he likes switchables..guys that can pass, dribble and shoot.  When you bring in a bunch of these players, it isn't so necessary to have a designated point guard per se.  The longer, more athletic, and versatile you are - the better your chances of winning.  What is true though is we need to have some type of "big" presence as needed, if need to match up against a team that might feature a premier big (just for defensive purposes only).  That said, there are probably only about 5-10 teams tops that feature a premier "big."  (And big being defined as 6'9", 235lbs+).
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »
With mostly SF's and interior players on the 2011 list of possibilities for Buzz as of now, I think it shows tremendous confidence that Junior, Reggie, and Vander can handle PG duties for the next few years.

Dominic James and Maurice Acker have been critical for Buzz in the first two years, and a good PG seems like an important part of Buzz's offense.  Buzz will need a 2012 or 2013 PG of course, but I like that he can focus on bigs for this year.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 12:30:24 PM »
How good is Singleton?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 02:06:08 PM »
How good is Singleton?

He was a breath of fresh air at the Pro-Am.  He was a lot more smooth than I expected a walk-on to be.  He'll be getting minutes next year.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 08:38:50 AM »
He just gave a verbal to Kansas supposedly.......

And that was Kansas first commit of 2011, Self is behind Buzz
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 02:34:01 PM »
Trying to understand Tharpe's recruiting is like trying learn Chinese in a day.  He committed to Providence in March, then decommitted in June.  Soon after he was supposedly ready to commit to Minnesota, but didn't.  Weeks after that he was ready to commit to Rutgers, but didn't.  In August he had a list of 7 schools that included Marquette, by September he had a new list of 5 schools that only included one of his previous "favorites" and it wasn't Marquette.  At this point, the only thing you can say for certain about Tharpe is that things change all the time. 

When someone's favorite's changes like this, its never a good sign.  It often can mean that he has to keep adding possibilities because schools he wanted to go to backed off after learning something about him.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »
When someone's favorite's changes like this, its never a good sign.  It often can mean that he has to keep adding possibilities because schools he wanted to go to backed off after learning something about him.

In his case it wasn't anything like that.  Mostly it was a case of waiting for better offers to come along.  The kid blew up over the summer and higher profile schools started looking at him. So he dropped schools like Seton Hall, Rutgers, and Providence  to add schools like Kansas and UCLA.  And once he got an offer from Kansas, it was all over.