[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: DVR question  (Read 8362 times)

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
DVR question
« on: March 02, 2007, 04:25:25 PM »
My g/f is looking to get a DVR and we had a few questions about them.  Is it possible to get one and use it just like an old VCR to record shows throughout the day?  I'll I've seen are the ones with the subscription service.  If it matters she has Comcast in Chicago.  Anyone have any good brand recommendations?

Thanks for any help you can give us!

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
Re: DVR question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 06:05:46 PM »
TiVo is the gold standard but you have to have a subscription with it (that's actually where they make their cash). You could also buy a lifetime'd TiVo on eBay, but they seem to run a pretty hefty premium.

If you have comcast, I'd just get their DVR. It'll run your $5-10 a month, and you can get rid of it at any time. TiVo has the ability to record a timeslot - like 9-10p on channel 5, but the real benefit is using the channel guide to schedule a show. If it isn't on one week or a rerun, the DVR won't record it. I don't know what options the comcast one has.

If you've got the money to spend and want HD, you can't do much better than the TiVo Series 3. Still, since you are just looking into it, I'd just invest the couple of bucks to rent it from comcast and see if you like it. you can always buy later.

nate
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 05:49:08 PM »
Just to clarify, so there's nothing I can buy that wouldn't have a subscription service?  I'd really just like something that works like an old VCR and record when I tell it to. 

Thanks.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 05:53:17 PM »
Not sure if they have generic recorders, but you can buy a DVR like TIVO and use it like you want without buying the subscription.  You could record manually by time and date, but you wouldn't have guide information.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 08:48:48 PM »
you should check into a media center pc.  rocky can tell you more but i believe it is no subscription at all.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 08:53:19 PM »
Forgot about the media center.  You can also buy a mac mini and do the same.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
Yep, a Media Center PC would do, too, but youll spend a bit more expensive and you'd have to have internet access.

Typically the way these things work is based on a guide. I'm guessing all of them have the "Record 1:00p to 4:00p on Tuesday, 4th" function, but that is not the way these things are designed. They are designed to record Shows, not time slots.

The only non-subscription / non-rental option that is current is probably Windows Media Center. There are other things out there (DVD-recorders et al), but they seem to be randomly released...

I've used a number of different systems -- TimeWarner's DVR, DirecTV TiVo, TiVo Series 3, Windows Media Center, MythTV -- and I'd take TiVo for ease of use and stability any day of the week.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 09:05:06 PM by nathanziarek »
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 09:44:26 AM »
I currently have a TIVO Series 2 w/ Lifetime Membership as well as the Scientific Atlantic Time Warner HD DVR. In my opinion TIVO dominates the the DVR for a few reasons.

1) With TIVO you can get TIVO desktop which allows you to take recorded shows off of your TIVO and place them on your home PC (if you have them networked). This rocks if you travel and also makes burring shows (MU games) onto DVD very easy.

2) With TIVO you can remotely set your recordings from their website.

3) Usability and features TIVO is just FAR superior. Being able to type in Marquette and College Basketball and having it record any show with those key words is awesome. I have missed recording a few games now on the new HD DVR because I thought the box was going to automatically do it for me.

4) The bonging sound and the TIVO guy make me laugh.

Now the only thing that needs to happen is to get the price of the HD TIVO down under $300 and I will get another one.
But I like to throw handfuls...

DanceHallPlayer

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 11:37:54 AM »
Panasonic makes a couple of standalone DVR's with their own hard drive storage, but they cost around $500.00. http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelList?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&catGroupId=24987&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

If you are looking for something really basic, I believe Panasonic makes DVD burners with built in tuners that can probably be found for under $200. But I don't know what quality of recording these will give you (probably not HD) and you may only be able to record 1-4 hours per disc.
file:///C:/Users/dhoughton/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/P45VEX3L/White%20Guy%20Cant%20Jump.gif

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 03:38:28 PM »
Today's Woot offers a Media Center PC for $349.99...
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

feedback