[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Blue - The Warrior newspaper article.  (Read 5642 times)

MUFanatic5

• Walk-On
Vander Blue - The Warrior newspaper article.
« on: October 06, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »
There is an article today in, The Warrior, (Marquette's independent campus newspaper) with a feature story on Vander Blue.

Numerous topics written about were his path from high school to Marquette, the pre-season workouts, head coach Buzz Williams, and the highly anticipated Marquette vs. Wisconsin rivalry game this year on December 11th.

Pick up your copy and take a look.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
Re: Vander Blue - The Warrior newspaper article.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 05:20:03 PM »
They should post it online.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 05:21:42 PM »
There is an article today in, The Warrior, (Marquette's independent campus newspaper) with a feature story on Vander Blue.

Numerous topics written about were his path from high school to Marquette, the pre-season workouts, head coach Buzz Williams, and the highly anticipated Marquette vs. Wisconsin rivalry game this year on December 11th.

Pick up your copy and take a look.

Any idea where I can pick up a copy in Dallas, TX?  Just kidding, but wish I had access to the article..unfortunately not alot of us are still in MKE.  If you have it online, please do link!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 01:01:29 AM »
Looks like they haven't updated the website.

http://thewarrior.org/
SS Marquette

MUFanatic5

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »
Here's the article:

Vander Blue Joins the Golden Eagles

There hasn’t been more hype surrounding a Marquette freshman in recent years than Vander Blue as the Marquette men’s basketball season is fast approaching.

Vander Blue, a 6’4” freshman out of Madison Memorial High School, has taken a unique path from high school to Marquette University. During his sophomore season at Madison Memorial, Blue verbally committed to the Wisconsin Badgers as just a 15-year-old student.

But when it came time to sign his letter of intent his senior year, he was still drawing high interest from numerous other schools across the nation including Marquette and thus decommitted to Wisconsin so he could explore his other options for the time being.

Marquette did prove to be his best fit as he gained a great relationship with head coach Buzz Williams and former teammates and friends from Madison Memorial including Jeronne Maymon, and current guard for the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers, Wesley Matthews.

On October 18, 2009, Blue officially announced his final decision to choose Marquette and has been extremely satisfied with Marquette’s campus and the beginning of classes thus far. “I’m really comfortable and everybody’s real cool. I’m working hard every day on every aspect of my game. I’m getting better and everything is going smooth right now.”

This past summer, Vander Blue was given the opportunity and earned a spot on the 12-member USA Basketball Men's U18 National Team roster where he quickly became a starter and primarily contributed defensively to help lead the American team win gold. In the U18 FIBA America’s championship game played in San Antonio, Texas, Blue had his best game offensively contributing 13 points, assisting the game-winning 3-pointer, and rallying Team USA to an 81-78 victory over Brazil.

“It was a once in a lifetime opportunity, it was a fun experience, I got to play with some great guys and new friends, I got to play for my country, and I’m glad that we won it.”

Vander Blue, ranked as the 31st top high school basketball prospect in ESPNU’s rankings of the class of 2010, is expected to make a huge contribution to the Marquette men’s basketball team’s frontcourt as they will look to improve upon their fifth place finish in the Big East standings last season.

Blue’s goals heading into the season are to “be productive and help my team win.” Whether it’s stepping it up on defense or being called upon in the closing minutes of a game to take a clutch shot, you can bet head coach Buzz Williams is preaching to his team through the daily workouts and his inspirational speeches to seize the moment and take advantage of it.

“He’s a tough coach, but I mean I’m used to it everyday and that’s what I need, that second push to help me become better and get me to where I’m trying to go.”

Playing in the Big East conference that features tough competition night in and night out, Blue is also going to need to rely on and take advice from the seniors who he states, “have been there and done it, because I’m trying to get to where they are.”

However, one team that is on Marquette’s schedule that is not in the Big East conference is none other than rival Wisconsin. When asked what game he was most looking forward to this upcoming season Blue replied, “Every game, but of course the Wisconsin game. I’m ready for that game.” Tensions in the Bradley Center will be high on the afternoon of December 11th as the Marquette Golden Eagles will look to regain bragging rights after falling to the Badgers last year at the Kohl Center in Madison 72-63.

Vander Blue, at this point in his basketball career, already knows how tough and difficult it is to make decisions choosing Marquette over Wisconsin. As a Lebron James fan though, Blue feels that Lebron made the right choice to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers and join Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh on the Miami Heat.

“It was a great decision, if you want to win championships that’s what you do, put the best together and let them win.”

Overall, both Vander Blue and the Marquette men’s basketball team will be a force to be reckoned with and a strong contender in the Big East conference heading into this 2010-2011 season. Blue’s abilities to finish at the rim, lead the fast break, and continue to be a proficient passer will be an asset at the guard position for the Golden Eagles for many years to come.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »
It is spelled Dwyane.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »
It is spelled Dwyane.

WHO CARES. You didn't contribute anything.

Good article. It will definitely be fun to see how ready he is to contribute this season.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 05:39:27 PM »
WHO CARES. You didn't contribute anything.

Uh...yes he did.  If people are going to be taken seriously as writers, it would be good if they could spell names right...especially the name of the most well known basketball player in MU's history.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »

Uh...yes he did.  If people are going to be taken seriously as writers, it would be good if they could spell names right...especially the name of the most well known basketball player in MU's history.

WHO CARES. It's just a name.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »
I do...and so does reinko.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 05:44:48 PM »
I care. Honestly,it's hard for me to take someone's MU hoops opinion seriously when they spell it Dwayne. Maybe that's unfair, but it's a glaring oversight.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »
Vander Blue, ranked as the 31st top high school basketball prospect in ESPNU’s rankings of the class of 2010, is expected to make a huge contribution to the Marquette men’s basketball team’s frontcourt as they will look to improve upon their fifth place finish in the Big East standings last season.

Decent read, but very little in there that is really new. Connections to other Madison Memorial grads, the FIBA U-18 championships, his role in the Badger rivalry...they actually understated that considering he was initially a Wisconsin commit.

But just like Dwyane being spelled wrong, as a communications grad, it irks me when journalists don't do their homework and don't have a good editor checking their copy. No one expects Blue to make any contribution whatsoever to Marquette's frontcourt. Even if we shift to a more standard two-forward, one-center offense and run only two guards, I think that Blue's contributions at the 3, 4, and 5 will be non-existent. He's only 6'3", he is going to be either a point or shooting guard, and we are all hoping he will make a huge contribution to our backcourt.

Just a detail, but when you are putting your name and reputation on an article, details matter.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 06:02:57 PM »
Good article - thanks for posting.  I assume the author is a current MU student - probably 18-22, and not quite as familiar with the program from the D-Wade years, and thus didn't see his name spelled a lot.  I saw the frontcourt comment as well  -but hey - we all make mistakes.  Live and learn young writer, but keep at your craft and thanks for sharing.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »
I remember a time back in 2006 when the warrior was regarded to have some of the best sports coverage in the area according to the athletic dept. Some bitch ruined the whole unnatural carnal knowledgeing show because she was paranoid as beaten scared puppy but had a power trip bigger than hitler after taking Poland. Nice to see these cats have their crap together and hopefully they'll work their way back up to prominence.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »
Good article - thanks for posting.  I assume the author is a current MU student - probably 18-22, and not quite as familiar with the program from the D-Wade years, and thus didn't see his name spelled a lot.  I saw the frontcourt comment as well  -but hey - we all make mistakes.  Live and learn young writer, but keep at your craft and thanks for sharing.

I agree...but don't drop a "Who Cares it's just a name"

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:00:17 PM by GOMU1104 »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »
I remember a time back in 2006 when the warrior was regarded to have some of the best sports coverage in the area according to the athletic dept. Some bitch ruined the whole fracking show because she was paranoid as beaten scared puppy but had a power trip bigger than hitler after taking Poland. Nice to see these cats have their crap together and hopefully they'll work their way back up to prominence.

Love this.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 08:44:42 PM »
Love this.

You have some inside to this? Does it have to do with someone whose name rhymes with Briana.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 10:59:11 PM »
You have some inside to this? Does it have to do with someone whose name rhymes with Briana.

Yes and Yes.

feedback