'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pearl had violation at UWM, too.  (Read 5311 times)

drewm88

• All American
Pearl had violation at UWM, too.
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:30:52 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5648545

Invited Mike Schachtner to his daughter's grad party in 2004. UWM self-reported the violation.

Edit: Had the year wrong.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
Re: Pearl had violation at UWM, too.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:32:05 PM »
I wonder what that UWM blogger will have to say about this? He was so high and mighty about how clean UWM is, even under Pearl.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
Yep.  People should be more careful about bragging about their school's spotless record with the NCAA...cause you never know...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:37:35 PM »
Yep.  People should be more careful about bragging about their school's spotless record with the NCAA...cause you never know...

This brings up a question for those who might know. How common are these secondary violations self-reported, but the school not punished?

I'm just thinking that even the "cleanest" programs have probably violated one of the myriad of NCAA rules at some point.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 03:42:44 PM »

cough...Badgers...cough

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »
I wonder what that UWM blogger will have to say about this? He was so high and mighty about how clean UWM is, even under Pearl.

cough. . . Jimmy Lemke.  . .cough

Dude is such a blowhard. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »

I think even blowhards like Fran and some of the gang at UWMFreak (not all, some of them are decent folk) realize they are happy they escaped.  Jeter is a straight shooter.

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 06:19:43 PM »
Jeter is a fair and just man. I hope he gets some traction on his program. He does have MU heritage, after all.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
Jeter is a fair and just man. I hope he gets some traction on his program. He does have MU heritage, after all.

He appears to have stabilized the program. He struggled a while with the mass exodus of Pearl's guys after his first year, and had some recruiting misses, but they are on the right track. Improvement each of the past few years and it has a very "Badger feel" to the roster, as you would expect from a Ryan disciple.

That will be a tough game at The Cell this year.

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »
He appears to have stabilized the program. He struggled a while with the mass exodus of Pearl's guys after his first year, and had some recruiting misses, but they are on the right track. Improvement each of the past few years and it has a very "Badger feel" to the roster, as you would expect from a Ryan disciple.

That will be a tough game at The Cell this year.

Do they still have that 300 pound trencherman? That boy could throw down some three balls. Got winded easily, though.

muball

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 06:55:35 PM »
James graduated

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 06:58:34 PM »
This brings up a question for those who might know. How common are these secondary violations self-reported, but the school not punished?

I'm just thinking that even the "cleanest" programs have probably violated one of the myriad of NCAA rules at some point.

It's common.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 12:13:40 PM »
It’s a good thing Pearl drew up that iron clad contract with Tennessee before he became their coach.  Excessive phone calls and having recruits over at your daughter’s graduation party aren't that serious of violations in my opinion.  That’s why I still don’t see why Kelvin Sampson got such the shaft like he did, and Tom Crean can whine about it and use it as leverage for a bigger contract.   But how a  guy like Calipari can get away with faking SAT scores and paying players and their parents through agents still blows me away.  KY is the dirtiest program in all of college sports, USC football a close second. 

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 01:00:06 PM »
I think even blowhards like Fran and some of the gang at UWMFreak (not all, some of them are decent folk) realize they are happy they escaped.  Jeter is a straight shooter.

Maybe I don't know everything concerning Pearl's time at UWM (wasn't around Milwaukee during Pearl's time) but why would UWM fans be happy with Pearl being gone? That program had never been better or more exciting and useful to its University. I hardly think one small violation is reason enough to have wanted Pearl out b/c Jeter is a "straight shooter." Just seems a bit extreme, and looking in hindsight, to say they are happy they "escaped."

And for a school trying to establish a basketball foundation and tradition, I would think violations may be a type of necessary risk when trying to pull a program out from the abyss. Not saying you go as insane and unethical as Calipari-  But hell, Bill Self got in some media flack a year or so ago for saying "good game" to a recruit during the period when you can't officially contact them.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

groove

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
was his daughter involved in recruiting?  :o

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
was his daughter involved in recruiting?  :o

pimpin ain't easy and it ain't never free.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 06:48:20 PM »
Maybe I don't know everything concerning Pearl's time at UWM (wasn't around Milwaukee during Pearl's time) but why would UWM fans be happy with Pearl being gone? That program had never been better or more exciting and useful to its University. I hardly think one small violation is reason enough to have wanted Pearl out b/c Jeter is a "straight shooter." Just seems a bit extreme, and looking in hindsight, to say they are happy they "escaped."

And for a school trying to establish a basketball foundation and tradition, I would think violations may be a type of necessary risk when trying to pull a program out from the abyss. Not saying you go as insane and unethical as Calipari-  But hell, Bill Self got in some media flack a year or so ago for saying "good game" to a recruit during the period when you can't officially contact them.

Ask blowhard(s)

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=6343363

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/104361789.html

http://uwmfreak.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Blow&action=display&thread=5369&page=1

feedback