[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For the California contingent, good news. Maybe Buzz schedules games here  (Read 5944 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I hope part of the recruiting pitch was to schedule a game out here with Cal (basically Anderson's home town), Stanford, USF or someone out this way.

First Californian at MU in a LONG TIME. 

GOMU1104

• All American
I thought they had something lined up with USC, I think it fell through though.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
MU was trying to get a home and home with USC. TV didn't work out, that is why that was a no go.

MU has been in Cal alot for the NCAA toury. 3 of the last 5 years.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

HoopsMalone

• All American
Games in California and Texas would be great for Marquette's recruiting efforts.

wadesworld

• All American
Has anybody on the West Coast seen him play live and/or for a full game?  I am obviously very excited for this commitment and thought it would happen but it's hard to say how a player will be based on highlight videos.  They are, after all, HIGHLIGHT videos.  They should look like studs there.  With how few talent evaluators have watched him play it's hard to get an idea of how good he is.

Also, how is the high school basketball seen on the West Coast?  Southern California is a hot bed for football, baseball, and volleyball, but it seems like the East Coast and South are better for basketball.  I guess I just hear more about top players from the East than I do about top players from the West.  Obviously there are the Brandon Jennings's of the world that come out of the West, but is my assumption correct that the West Coast does not produce a huge number of high level basketball players as compared to the East Coast/South?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Has anybody on the West Coast seen him play live and/or for a full game?  I am obviously very excited for this commitment and thought it would happen but it's hard to say how a player will be based on highlight videos.  They are, after all, HIGHLIGHT videos.  They should look like studs there.  With how few talent evaluators have watched him play it's hard to get an idea of how good he is.

Also, how is the high school basketball seen on the West Coast?  Southern California is a hot bed for football, baseball, and volleyball, but it seems like the East Coast and South are better for basketball.  I guess I just hear more about top players from the East than I do about top players from the West.  Obviously there are the Brandon Jennings's of the world that come out of the West, but is my assumption correct that the West Coast does not produce a huge number of high level basketball players as compared to the East Coast/South?

So. Cal basketball has historically been fantastic.  Mater Dei, Crenshaw, Artesia, Westchester, etc are all programs that have put a ton of kids into DI and the pros.  Westchester finished 9th in the final USA Today Super 25 National rankings.  Mater Dei 13th.  Not sure about Northern Cal...De La Salle is good in football and basketball

Blackhat

• All American
I hope part of the recruiting pitch was to schedule a game out here with Cal (basically Anderson's home town), Stanford, USF or someone out this way.

Don't you have some 14 year old b-ball players and a crimson colored dude to go cheer on?

T-Bone

• All American

Er... Mbao?
Obviously, not native.  But Buzz has been out there getting to know people out there.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

PJDunn

• All American
I would not count Mbao as being from CA.  Chicos is right and at least I interpreted it as being supportive of Buzz.  The last highly regarded CA high schooler that I can think of is Terry Reason from Fresno, and that was under Hank Raymonds.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Don't you have some 14 year old b-ball players and a crimson colored dude to go cheer on?

Nope. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: For the California contingent, good news. Maybe Buzz schedules games here
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 06:16:10 PM »
Er... Mbao?
Obviously, not native.  But Buzz has been out there getting to know people out there.

Mbao was as much a Californian as Stone Cold is a TC fan. 

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 07:04:20 PM »
So. Cal basketball has historically been fantastic.  Mater Dei, Crenshaw, Artesia, Westchester, etc are all programs that have put a ton of kids into DI and the pros.  Westchester finished 9th in the final USA Today Super 25 National rankings.  Mater Dei 13th.  Not sure about Northern Cal...De La Salle is good in football and basketball
My cousin teaches, and is the former varsity BB coach at OLU. They currently have 4 star pg Gabe York-- .....
historically--have they been competitive, also ? ( I think OLU beat Mater Dei in FB, regularly)
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
I liked TC and the way he conducted his program. I was one of his biggest supporters when he was here.  Hate the way he left and as Buzz would say, the way TC's "character was revealed".  There's a bad taste there.

Unlike some I don't sit quietly about issues like JUCOs until one coach leaves and then pipe up about the same issues once a coach I don't like/wouldn't have chosen comes in.

I never had problems with Crean or the way he ran his program (Jucos,etc.) when he was here and I've stayed true to those sentiments with Buzz.

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »

Actually, I think the "Dude" is tan colored

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 10:47:33 PM »
Actually, I think the "Dude" is tan colored

cause you've never seen him sh.t-faced.

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 11:01:10 PM »
cause you've never seen him sh.t-faced.

Cannot begin to imagine Tom Crean shyte faced. That guy is so uptight he eats coal for breakfast and craps diamonds before noon.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 12:30:14 AM »
NorCal is hot now for PGs/Gs. See the Oakland AAU programs.

2011 Rivals 150
Josiah Turner (Sacramento) #2 PG
Jabari Brown (Oakland) #5 SG
Juan Anderson (Castro Valley - near Oakland) #19 SF

Archbishop Mitty (San Jose) had Drew Gordon (UCLA, now New Mexico) and Collin Chieverton (former MU target). Gordon's brother, Aaron, is a 6-5 soph at Mitty and teams with 6-6 David Andoh who's getting good D-1 looks.

Modesto Christian had Reeves Nelson (UCLA), Chuck Hayes (UK/NBA), Adrian Oliver (SJSU, a top returning scorer D-1), and the #1 6th grader in the country (forget MoAck's godson...lol), Damon Harge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHYzhXjj9kc

Jeremy Lin (Harvard/NBA GS Warriors) is from Palo Alto. Omar Samhan is from the East Bay.

South Bay is more of a hotbed for baseball, soccer. Football is from all over the bay, but especially the central valley. Basketball mostly from the East Bay.

But this post from NorCalPreps.com kinda addresses the concern about top tier recruits leaving the Bay.
http://norcalpreps.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=444&tid=148391133&mid=148391133&sid=985&style=2
SS Marquette

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 12:36:22 AM »
On games in CA- I want to say MU is going to play in the Anaheim holiday tournament in 2 years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 09:30:20 AM »
I liked TC and the way he conducted his program. I was one of his biggest supporters when he was here.  Hate the way he left and as Buzz would say, the way TC's "character was revealed".  There's a bad taste there.

Unlike some I don't sit quietly about issues like JUCOs until one coach leaves and then pipe up about the same issues once a coach I don't like/wouldn't have chosen comes in.

I never had problems with Crean or the way he ran his program (Jucos,etc.) when he was here and I've stayed true to those sentiments with Buzz.

Stone, I've admitted my bias against Jucos.  My concern is the volume.   I also hate the way TC left, but I think the way we handled Newbill and some other things also "reveals character".  It goes both ways.

As for your comments about who I should be rooting for, I'll stick to MU as priority #1 as has always been the case.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 09:33:33 AM »
My cousin teaches, and is the former varsity BB coach at OLU. They currently have 4 star pg Gabe York-- .....
historically--have they been competitive, also ? ( I think OLU beat Mater Dei in FB, regularly)

OLU?   Do you mean Orange Lutheran?  Yes, they beat Mater Dei a few years ago in football.  They are a good program in the area along with Servite (likely where my son will go).

feedback