'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oregon says eligibility of 'former' players is in question  (Read 23258 times)

Marquette84

• All American
Re: Oregon says eligibility of 'former' players is in question
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2010, 11:00:02 PM »
Sorry for the digression. You can now go back to the "I know something you don't know" routine that you always do.
I guess I will just call BS when somebody gets smug, makes assertions without backing them up with facts, and proceeds to call the current incarnation of the leadership of MU basketball dirty without coming out and saying what he "knows". 
Forgive me for not understanding what you were referring to with your unbelievably vague and abstract implications. I guess maybe what you were actually saying got lost in all the whistling and squirming. Ok, if academics is not at issue, then what is? Benefits? Recruiting Wilson while he was still at Oregon? Please enlighten us...
It's called being a four year old going, "I know a secret, nya nya nya nya nya nya!"  If you have something spill it or don't post anything.
Sultan, just what is he actually saying?? Vague references and saying, "Well, if you knew what I know" is really weak stuff.  Ironic coming from a poster that consistently ripped Badger fans for this same behavior (Shady stuff is going on, but I won't post any real details) when they tried to trash a past MU coach.
Sounds to me like you know absolutely nothing concrete. And why am I not surprised you are sitting here patting yourself on the back when based on the above there is no way you can possibly be wrong.  "it might be something...but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not"  WTF is that?
Hey Chicos,
If you actually have something, then out with it. All this beating around the bush is really annoying, and does nobody any good.

I'm just curious--did any of you bother to send a PM to Chicos to ask him about this before you've turned to personal attacks on him?

I think its obvious to all of us that there are certain things--especially rumors--that shouldn't be posted in a public forum.

That doesn't mean the rumors aren't circulating.

Honestly, do any of you really want the details of rumors posted for all recruits, parents, players, students, fans, NCAA compliance officers, opposing coaches/fans etc. etc. etc. to see?

Bottom Line:  Chico's isn't starting these rumors--he's hearing them because he has access to an insider community, and he's reporting in an intentionally and completely justified vague manner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2010, 11:33:02 PM »

I'm just curious--did any of you bother to send a PM to Chicos to ask him about this before you've turned to personal attacks on him?

I think its obvious to all of us that there are certain things--especially rumors--that shouldn't be posted in a public forum.

Honestly, do any of you really want the details of rumors posted for all recruits, parents, players, students, fans, NCAA compliance officers, opposing coaches/fans etc. etc. etc. to see?

Bottom Line:  Chico's isn't starting these rumors--he's hearing them because he has access to an insider community, and he's reporting in an intentionally and completely justified vague manner.

Honestly, do you think reporting that you are squirming because your  "insiders" are allegedly spreading vague rumors and innuendo about our program is something that gives comfort to our recruits, parents, players, students and fans? In addition, there's nothing an unscrupulous coach loves better than pointing out that this kind of crap is being reported on our own message board. Make no mistake about it, what Chicos is doing sabotages the program. Anyone who denies it has their head very deep in the sand.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2010, 12:06:39 AM »
In addition, there's nothing an unscrupulous coach loves better than pointing out that this kind of crap is being reported on our own message board. Make no mistake about it, what Chicos is doing sabotages the program. Anyone who denies it has their head very deep in the sand.

per your sources?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2010, 04:57:28 AM »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2010, 06:22:50 AM »
Sorry -- I think Chicos is one of the most valuable posters on this board but I don't believe for a second that he has any "insider" community. We know he worked in athletic administration in the early 1990s. Are we supposed to believe there's some hotline for former athletic department employees across the country? It's absurd.

Besides, using sources that old reminds me of old Irv Kupcinet columns. For those unfamiliar, Kupcinet was a Sun Times reporter referencing the Rat Pack, Raquel Welch and the Smothers Brothers until 2001.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2010, 07:35:32 AM »

Making vague posts about how he knows something and then coming back if/when something actually happens and claiming that he knew it all along is nothing more than an attempt to make everyone think he's an important, well-connected person. Whether he is or not, we don't really know but his "rumor" posts contain little to no substance. If Chicos knows something, he should post it. If he knows something but doesn't think it's something that should be posted in a public forum, he should keep quiet. It's not a difficult concept.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2010, 10:54:07 AM »
Marquette 84

Not sure why I'm being accused of personal attacks. I said nothing about him as a person, I just took issue with a couple of his posts, and they were hardly "attacks". I haven't been around here nearly long enough to have any personal problems with anybody, and I think Chicos usually adds a lot to this board.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »
Marquette 84

Not sure why I'm being accused of personal attacks. I said nothing about him as a person, I just took issue with a couple of his posts, and they were hardly "attacks". I haven't been around here nearly long enough to have any personal problems with anybody, and I think Chicos usually adds a lot to this board.

+1. I too don't understand why 84 is claiming that I used a personal attack. I didn't realize saying a post was "weak stuff" and pointing out a conflicting position was a personal attack.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2010, 11:33:14 AM »

Bottom Line:  Chico's isn't starting these rumors--he's hearing them because he has access to an insider community, and he's reporting in an intentionally and completely justified vague manner.

Did you really not get the point of any of those posts? Its not that hard. You don't tell a friend you've got a huge important secret and then tell him you can't say what it is.  You keep your mouth shut or you spill it.....not tease people with it.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2010, 11:42:07 AM »
Evil Pat hinted early on that Wilson was bolting to MU.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2010, 02:37:27 AM »
per common sense.

common sense that recruits read insular school message boards and decide they dont want to attend a school due to the posts of a guy with "bail bonds" in his username?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2010, 08:28:43 AM »
Did you really not get the point of any of those posts? Its not that hard. You don't tell a friend you've got a huge important secret and then tell him you can't say what it is.  You keep your mouth shut or you spill it.....not tease people with it.

You don't get it.  Everyone "hears" things.  They shouldn't post it unless it is verifyable.  But after the fact, when they say "Yeah, I had been hearing that for weeks," don't come down on him for it.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
The point is, if it's not verifiable, don't post anything at all alluding to it. It does just as much harm as if it's true, and it does unnecessary harm when it turns out to not be true, which I guarantee is the case here. Chicos should delete his annoying self-serving post immediately.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »
common sense that recruits read insular school message boards and decide they dont want to attend a school due to the posts of a guy with "bail bonds" in his username?

Not a movie fan, I take it.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »
What's his "insider community?"

If you heard rumors you didn't feel you should spread would you still hint that you're hearing rumors?  I don't see the point in that, other than to have the opportunity to say "I told you so" if something happens.

Are the rumors being talked about against NCAA rules?

I have a good friend working NCAA compliance for a major B10 university.  That person has been right about many coaches, sometime years before it comes to light.  I see no reason to post that information on a message board even knowing what a credible source it is.  I guess I don't understand the reasoning for posting on here.  If concerns exist, there are certainly better ways of expressing them in an appropriate manner and place.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2010, 09:07:04 PM »
Honestly, do you think reporting that you are squirming because your  "insiders" are allegedly spreading vague rumors and innuendo about our program is something that gives comfort to our recruits, parents, players, students and fans? In addition, there's nothing an unscrupulous coach loves better than pointing out that this kind of crap is being reported on our own message board. Make no mistake about it, what Chicos is doing sabotages the program. Anyone who denies it has their head very deep in the sand.

Make no mistake about it, you are full of complete crap Lenny.  As others have said in the past, no one reads these boards so how could I "sabotage" the program?  And if I wanted to do what you accuse me of, couldn't I just run out and put a bunch of these rumors out there online?  Put them on a blog?  Post them on other message board sites of schools that are recruiting the same players we are?  That would get a lot more press....but did I do that?  Nope.  Considering I'm a saboteur (your words), I would think that's a layup to achieve the means you accuse me of.  But of course, I didn't do that. Not only didn't I do that, I haven't put a SINGLE rumor online, have I?  On a message board of any site...have I?  On a blog...have I?  

By the way, it's funny how many people on this thread are saying recruits now read these boards when only a few weeks ago these SAME people were saying recruits don't read these boards.  Jekyll meet Hyde.   This will be classic if we miss out on a recruit, Lenny will start blaming it on a poster on a message board.  LOL.  Gee, I guess Kentucky won't be able to sign any recruits since there are a "few" rumors about them on message boards...a LOT of message boards.  Some are saying the Big East will breakup...OMG, rumors on a message board that could cause us to lose a recruit.   ::)  Get real Lenny.

I told you in my email I would be happy to talk to you over a beer about it but not anything in writing, but you were the one that didn't want to engage in that medium and you started spouting off about sources  without so much as an email response.  Isn't it ironic as hell, Lenny, that in my email several days before the Dunigan \ Oregon story broke in the papers it specifically mentioned Dunigan and Oregon.  Hm mm....  

Marquette84....to answer your question....all the people smashing me here, not ONE of them sent me a PM.  But why does this surprise anyone?  There's a good chunk of people on here that feel accepting a NLI and then kicking the kid to the curb is no big deal either.  Some things make people squirm and others don't care at all.  Different strokes for different folks.

Others did send me a PM and wanted detailed information of what rumors have been going around and I declined to pass them on. As I stated clearly, I'm not going to get into the rumors publicly because who knows what is valid.  I'm certainly not going to put anything in writing.  The internet is full of rumors about athletic teams, etc.  All I said is that when the story came out, I was not surprised.  I also said, which some people simply can't comprehend, is that there are some things that make me uncomfortable (make me squirm).  Things like recruiting someone that has already verballed was just one example of that.  Is it illegal?  Nope.  Do I wish we weren't doing it?  Yup.  Do some fans not care at all about that tactic?  Absolutely, some don't care at all.   Are there other rumors out there...yes there are.  Are they true?  Who knows.  Do SOME of them make me squirm?  Yes they do.  Have there been rumors about the Wisconsin Badgers? Yup.  Duke? Yup.  UNC?  Yup  UCLA?  Yup.  And on and on.  Some come true and into the public domain, others are true but never see the light of day, and others are patently false from day one.

As for the crowd that's saying "spill the beans".  Why?  If they are rumors, which I hope they are, what good does it do?  It's like having a friend and you hear his wife is cheating on him.  Do you go to the friend and tell him the rumor?  Do you sit on it and wait to make sure it's true to avoid breaking up a marriage?    Would you feel like crap for not saying anything if the rumors were true?  Would you feel worse if the rumors were false and you broke up a marriage or caused major strife?  

So no, I'm not going to "spill the beans" over something I can't prove or validate (if I ever did know something 100% dead on, I'd send it to the President of the University...of course to some of you, that would make me a rat...I guess some people have more of a conscious than others....I relish the fact that MU is not Wisconsin or Illinois or UCLA or Kentucky and has never been on probation of any kind).  But when one of these rumors does come true and I have the temerity on a message board to say "doesn't surprise me, been hearing that for days or months"....well, I'm sorry but I'm just being honest.  You can attack me all you wish, which many of you have.  Carry on.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:09:40 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2010, 09:27:30 PM »
Back to the story at hand, the other players rumored to be involved are Matt Humphrey and Josh Crittle.

http://www.kval.com/sports/102936474.html

Don't know how accurate this article is, but feel like it has been lost in the shuffle. This with Mark Miller saying Jamil is fine makes me feel much better.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2010, 10:11:50 PM »
Chicos, you just don't get it. 

If you're going to act all high and mighty as if you know something then it's going to make people, for lack of a better term, squirm when you refuse to give any details. Like I said before, if you know something, share it. If you've heard a rumor that you don't want posted on a message board, keep quiet. It's pretty simple. To use your friend/wife analogy, what you have a tendency to do on these boards would be like telling your friend that you've heard things that could affect his marriage...but you can't tell him any more than that. I'm sure he'd be fine with that and wouldn't ask any follow-up questions, right?

Your immature game of boasting about how you know something but can't share it with the lowly message board serfs has really gotten old. You do add a lot of value to these boards but far too often you present yourself as an arrogant, know-it-all and then act put off when people call you out on that. Ease up on the holier-than-thou attitude and it's likely that your valid points won't continue to get lost in your condescending tone.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2010, 11:05:02 PM »
Chicos, you just don't get it. 

To use your friend/wife analogy, what you have a tendency to do on these boards would be like telling your friend that you've heard things that could affect his marriage...but you can't tell him any more than that. I'm sure he'd be fine with that and wouldn't ask any follow-up questions, right?

Your immature game of boasting about how you know something but can't share it with the lowly message board serfs has really gotten old. You do add a lot of value to these boards but far too often you present yourself as an arrogant, know-it-all and then act put off when people call you out on that. Ease up on the holier-than-thou attitude and it's likely that your valid points won't continue to get lost in your condescending tone.

Bold = right on.  And fixed.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2010, 07:26:02 AM »
Chico, how do you reconcile your declaration of purity with then posting a rumor on the IU Scout board that you got from here with no reference or links.   Or do you save your dudley do right stuff for this board, hoosier baller?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »
Chico, how do you reconcile your declaration of purity with then posting a rumor on the IU Scout board that you got from here with no reference or links.   Or do you save your dudley do right stuff for this board, hoosier baller?

Declaration of purity 'tis not, I'm afraid.  There's a reason that some people choose to spin their webs in certain places... we live in an attention-starved society and some people simply can not deal with starvation as well as others.

I could name three, maybe four, Scoopers here who seem to post for no other reason that to draw attention to themselves through controversy, but I'm not going to tell you who they are.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2010, 09:45:51 AM »

Or posing as a Michigan grad on the Badgerboard...or finding personal stuff about posters here......

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2010, 09:51:51 AM »
Making vague posts about how he knows something and then coming back if/when something actually happens and claiming that he knew it all along is nothing more than an attempt to make everyone think he's an important, well-connected person. Whether he is or not, we don't really know but his "rumor" posts contain little to no substance. If Chicos knows something, he should post it. If he knows something but doesn't think it's something that should be posted in a public forum, he should keep quiet. It's not a difficult concept.

+ 500 billion...

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2010, 09:52:32 AM »
Sorry -- I think Chicos is one of the most valuable posters on this board but I don't believe for a second that he has any "insider" community. We know he worked in athletic administration in the early 1990s. Are we supposed to believe there's some hotline for former athletic department employees across the country? It's absurd.

Besides, using sources that old reminds me of old Irv Kupcinet columns. For those unfamiliar, Kupcinet was a Sun Times reporter referencing the Rat Pack, Raquel Welch and the Smothers Brothers until 2001.

+ 500 trillion