[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Who will the Packers sign?  (Read 15425 times)

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
Re: Who will the Packers sign?
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2010, 03:23:19 PM »
Certainly won't be Marshawn Lynch, he was traded to the Seahawks for a 4th round pick. Are you telling me a significantly better running game isn't worth a 4th rounder? Lynch is only 24-he could be a major player for us for the next 4-5 years. And with the overall talent and depth of this roster, how many draft picks does TT expect to make this team next year?

I love the way he drafts, but I couldn't be more frustrated with the overall direction of his management. Its not that I'm mad there are roster deficiencies. I'm mad that TT looks at completely reasonable, inexpensive ways to correct those deficiencies and rejects them offhand because they are not "the Ted Thompson way". For the record, TT has also previously declined to acquire Tony Gonzalez and Randy Moss for 3rd and 4th round picks.

Anyone who wants to defend Ted Thompson for this one, please stand up.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »
Certainly won't be Marshawn Lynch, he was traded to the Seahawks for a 4th round pick. Are you telling me a significantly better running game isn't worth a 4th rounder? Lynch is only 24-he could be a major player for us for the next 4-5 years. And with the overall talent and depth of this roster, how many draft picks does TT expect to make this team next year?

I love the way he drafts, but I couldn't be more frustrated with the overall direction of his management. Its not that I'm mad there are roster deficiencies. I'm mad that TT looks at completely reasonable, inexpensive ways to correct those deficiencies and rejects them offhand because they are not "the Ted Thompson way". For the record, TT has also previously declined to acquire Tony Gonzalez and Randy Moss for 3rd and 4th round picks.

Anyone who wants to defend Ted Thompson for this one, please stand up.

Not defending TT, but we'll never know if indeed the Pack offered a 4th rounder or not.  Bills held a good deal of leverage with teams like the Pack, probably demanding more than a 4th, because they are in a position to make a postseason run.  Not too mention the conditional 5th/6th rounder.

Frack it, you idiot Thompson.  Trade the picks.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2010, 03:35:07 PM »
I was shocked when Lynch went for a 4th. All of the talk the last couple of weeks was that Buffalo wanted a starting OL and a 2nd round pick. I would not have favored TT making that deal. However...when it came down that he got moved for a 4th and a 6th (in 2012) I got frustrated.

I have a feeling GB is going to ride with Jackson/Kuhn/Nance/Starks the rest of the way. Should be interesting...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2010, 04:23:06 PM »
Who cares--sign Paul Hornung

He would take that bet.     ;)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »
Ted Thompson is an idiot when it comes to acquiring free agents/proven veteran NFL players.  I have NO idea why the guy acquired Woodson and Pickett via free agency when he first started on the job in Green Bay..but since that time has been hesitant to pull the trigger on Moss, Gonzalez, and now Lynch??  Woodson and Pickett are two of his better acquisitions.  Aaron Rodgers gave the nod/vote of approval on Lynch from their days back at Cal.  Moss probably would have meant another Super Bowl win for Green Bay.  Remains to be seen how BAD the Green Bay running game is the rest of this year..but to me this would have been a non-brainer acquistion - after all how many of Thompson's 4th round picks have actualy stuck - or for that matter 4th round picks in general.  Lynch is a proven NFL back.  Period.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2010, 05:08:54 PM »
Ted Thompson is an idiot when it comes to acquiring free agents/proven veteran NFL players.  I have NO idea why the guy acquired Woodson and Pickett via free agency when he first started on the job in Green Bay..but since that time has been hesitant to pull the trigger on Moss, Gonzalez, and now Lynch??  Woodson and Pickett are two of his better acquisitions.  Aaron Rodgers gave the nod/vote of approval on Lynch from their days back at Cal.  Moss probably would have meant another Super Bowl win for Green Bay.  Remains to be seen how BAD the Green Bay running game is the rest of this year..but to me this would have been a non-brainer acquistion - after all how many of Thompson's 4th round picks have actualy stuck - or for that matter 4th round picks in general.  Lynch is a proven NFL back.  Period.

I thought Moss said he didn't want to play in Green Bay.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2010, 05:29:38 PM »
When Moss first wanted out of Oakland, the Packers wanted him. GB offered a 2 year deal, but Moss and his agent insisted on a 1 year. Packers wouldn't budge, New England did.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »

I will point out that not signing Moss or Gonzalez did not harm the Packers one bit.  We are deep enough at receiver without Moss and Finley >>>>>>>>> Gonzalez...especially considering the age difference.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2010, 07:39:55 PM »

I will point out that not signing Moss or Gonzalez did not harm the Packers one bit.  We are deep enough at receiver without Moss and Finley >>>>>>>>> Gonzalez...especially considering the age difference.

I can see your point about Gonzalez - but in the case of Randy Moss..not being willing to give up a 3rd round pick, or sign him to a 1-year deal...ludicrous.  Moss in 2007 was a HUGE game changer.  His contributions to the Patriots that year were huge.  A player of his caliber would have made Brett Farve better, Donald Driver better and Greg Jennings better...and the cost..was so low.

Now in the case of Lynch - he's a Pro Bowl back that has had 2, 1,000 yard seasons in his first 2 years in the league..and all you had to give to acquire was a 3rd round pick?  What's the downside?  Most likely the 3rd round pick doesn't amount to anything close to a Prow Bowl player.  But that's Green Bay's issue..glad they aren't my Number 1 team..cause this would really make me pull my hair out.  Standing pat with the current running backs in GB could cost them an appearance in the Super  Bowl..teams will sell out to stop the pass as Jackson and Kuhn aren't going to scare any team as home run threats.  GB probably still makes the playoffs..but is that really good enough?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2010, 07:58:11 PM »
Unlike MANY Packers fans, I have sided with Ted Thompson pretty much the entire time he has been in Green Bay.  He has a strategy, and he is hell bent on sticking to it.  He, for the most part, avoids free agency...something that totally agree with. Spending big in free agency is not the way to build a team in the NFL.

He has put together a very talented team, possibly a Super Bowl contender even with the loss off Grant. Hopefully the group of Jackson/Kuhn/Nance/Starks can provide enough the rest of the way, because that is who they are likely going to ride with.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2010, 07:59:36 PM »
Jay Glazer is tweeting that a deal to send Moss to the 'Queens is in the works...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2010, 08:00:12 PM »
I can see your point about Gonzalez - but in the case of Randy Moss..not being willing to give up a 3rd round pick, or sign him to a 1-year deal...ludicrous.  Moss in 2007 was a HUGE game changer.  His contributions to the Patriots that year were huge.  A player of his caliber would have made Brett Farve better, Donald Driver better and Greg Jennings better...and the cost..was so low.

Now in the case of Lynch - he's a Pro Bowl back that has had 2, 1,000 yard seasons in his first 2 years in the league..and all you had to give to acquire was a 3rd round pick?  What's the downside?  Most likely the 3rd round pick doesn't amount to anything close to a Prow Bowl player.  But that's Green Bay's issue..glad they aren't my Number 1 team..cause this would really make me pull my hair out.  Standing pat with the current running backs in GB could cost them an appearance in the Super  Bowl..teams will sell out to stop the pass as Jackson and Kuhn aren't going to scare any team as home run threats.  GB probably still makes the playoffs..but is that really good enough?

The Packers hosted the NFCCG that year.  They got there without Moss.  They didn't need him.

And Lynch is off the table...he was traded to Seattle.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2010, 08:00:49 PM »
Jay Glazer is tweeting that a deal to send Moss to the 'Queens is in the works...

My stomach just turned a little.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2010, 09:07:36 PM »
Unlike MANY Packers fans, I have sided with Ted Thompson pretty much the entire time he has been in Green Bay.  He has a strategy, and he is hell bent on sticking to it.  He, for the most part, avoids free agency...something that totally agree with. Spending big in free agency is not the way to build a team in the NFL.
He has put together a very talented team, possibly a Super Bowl contender even with the loss off Grant. Hopefully the group of Jackson/Kuhn/Nance/Starks can provide enough the rest of the way, because that is who they are likely going to ride with.

So you didn't like or approve of the acquistions of Charles Woodson or Ryan Pickett?  You advocate holding draft picks for unknown quantities such as college kids, rather than giving away an occasional 3rd or 4th round pick for PROVEN NFL All Pro/Pro Bowl type players such as Moss, Gonzalez, or Marshawn Lynch? 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2010, 09:23:42 PM »
not happening per boston sports radio 30  minutes ago.  WEEI, 98.5 AM, Boston.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2010, 09:24:08 PM »
So you didn't like or approve of the acquistions of Charles Woodson or Ryan Pickett?  You advocate holding draft picks for unknown quantities such as college kids, rather than giving away an occasional 3rd or 4th round pick for PROVEN NFL All Pro/Pro Bowl type players such as Moss, Gonzalez, or Marshawn Lynch? 

He has done well the times he has dipped into free agency (Woodson, Pickett, Chillar), but doing it too much will get you in serious trouble.  Building through the draft is the way to go.

Again, I told you why Moss didnt sign with Green Bay. Gonzalez is moot because they have Finley. And I will admit...I was pretty disappointed when I heard Lynch was gone for a 4th rounder. At the same time, im not sure how "proven" he is...a solid first 2 years, but theres a reason the worst team in football let him go for relatively little in return...

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2010, 09:25:40 PM »
I think the Pack missed a bet by not getting Lynch.  And, we'll probably pay for it with no running game and the problems that will ensue

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »
not happening per boston sports radio 30  minutes ago.  WEEI, 98.5 AM, Boston.

Happening. Via Adam Schefter's Twitter, 15 minutes ago.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2010, 07:58:05 AM »

I think it is pretty well proven that the Packers don't need Moss or Gonzalez.  Woodson and Pickett came at bargain prices.  Thompson does not buy at the high end.  (Which is what Gonzalez was at the time.)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »

Woodson and Pickett came at bargain prices.  Thompson does not buy at the high end.  (Which is what Gonzalez was at the time.)

that's correct, nobody wanted Woodson at the time and he initially declined to sign with GB until he learned there were no other takers

why was Lynch 3rd string in Buffalo if he's so good? Ryan Grant is what I would consider journeyman level but he also gets 1200 yards/year, I think the 1000 yard rusher is a short measuring stick in a 16 game season