[Today at 02:22:57 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #1 in our hearts, #42 per Hoops Report  (Read 16512 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
Re: #1 in our hearts, #42 per Hoops Report
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:18:56 PM »
Crowder is not even on the key reserves... gimme a break
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:25:09 PM »

Nor is Cadougan, who you would think should be penciled in as the starter at point.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »

Yup, exactly the same reason why preseason polls are ridiculous.  No one does their homework on this stuff, least of all the voters.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »
This is pure bullcrap. Caddy will be a starter and so will Crowder, and they are not even listed as key reserves. Stupid!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 02:42:14 PM »
"the Golden Eagles now expect to get back to the NCAA tournament, but just getting there isn't good enough this time around."

Best part of the article. Hoping this is the case for MANY years to come.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 03:01:49 PM »
Yup, exactly the same reason why preseason polls are ridiculous.  No one does their homework on this stuff, least of all the voters.

Some preseason evaluators (like this no name you referenced) are worthless. (which begs the question-why did you reference them?) Others (Blue Ribbon, Katz, Gottlieb,etc.) can prove worthwhile.

Garbage in ("NO ONE does their homework on this stuff) necessarily leads to garbage out (preseason polls are all ridiculous). Ironic that you would be universal in accusing  every writer, coach, broadcaster, etc with being sloppy with their facts even as you commit the same sin.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 03:28:20 PM »
This is pure bullcrap. Caddy will be a starter and so will Crowder, and they are not even listed as key reserves. Stupid!
Caddy is a terrible nickname. Lets stop this one before it catches on. I think "Junior Cadougan" is a cool enough name that it doesn't really need a nickname.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »
What a terribly written article by the way, besides the fact that he clearly doesn't know too much about the team.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 08:31:54 PM »
Indiana in the Big Dance at #63?  Cue the Crean vs. Al poll...

http://thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=525

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »
Indiana in the Big Dance at #63?  Cue the Crean vs. Al poll...

Did the IU fan who commented really say that their new conditioning coach is Tough Cookie?

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 06:43:28 AM »
Yup, he's got 2/5 of the starting line-up wrong.

That said, does anyone think we should start the year in the top 20 given all of our question marks?

We see all of the incoming talent and the apparently revitalized Otule as reasons for optimism but could a neutral observer really be blamed for taking a more cautious approach to rating this year's team?

We return about 8 rebounds per game from a poor rebounding team and, while I hope it's not the case, Otule may have feet like Mike Kinsella.

I'm happy for us to lurk low in pre-season expectations and surprise people when all of that young talent starts to find its way.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 08:33:48 AM »
Was that article written by a 16-year-old for his high school paper? Aside from the player omissions, the writing was an embarassingly bad. What a pointless piece of "journalism." Thanks for sharing.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 08:35:42 AM »
Yup, he's got 2/5 of the starting line-up wrong.

That said, does anyone think we should start the year in the top 20 given all of our question marks?

We see all of the incoming talent and the apparently revitalized Otule as reasons for optimism but could a neutral observer really be blamed for taking a more cautious approach to rating this year's team?

We return about 8 rebounds per game from a poor rebounding team and, while I hope it's not the case, Otule may have feet like Mike Kinsella.

I'm happy for us to lurk low in pre-season expectations and surprise people when all of that young talent starts to find its way.

I've not no beef with the ranking he gave us.  If he gives us #42 with a solid, well-researched analysis that doesn't fail to mention two favorites to start  I've got no complaints.   Looking at the comments at the bottom of the IU article it appears that they were not well researched either.  

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 09:03:58 AM »

The 63rd best team does not make the big dance.  Cut-off is usually around 45.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 09:17:12 AM »
http://www.thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=550

Why is it when it is Marquette it is #1 in our hearts....but when it isabout Buzz, it is #1 in "your" hearts?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 09:33:02 AM »

As a result, Tom Crean inherited a depleted team without much clout in the recruiting sphere, and the team has experienced limited success during Crean's tenure so far.

I would submit that IU has experienced NO success during Crean's tenure. May it continue.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »
Why is it when it is Marquette it is #1 in our hearts....but when it isabout Buzz, it is #1 in "your" hearts?

In the business this is known as a "Fruedian slip". Buzz would call this an example of Chicos "revealing himself".

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »
In the business this is known as a "Fruedian slip". Buzz would call this an example of Chicos "revealing himself".

+1 trillion....and he does it frequently

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 10:25:12 AM »
Caddy is a terrible nickname. Lets stop this one before it catches on. I think "Junior Cadougan" is a cool enough name that it doesn't really need a nickname.
Caddy is easier to type. Kind of like DJO.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 10:49:05 AM »
Just don't start calling him Doogie......

Easier to type?  Isn't Jr. easiest to type?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »
As a result, Tom Crean inherited a depleted team without much clout in the recruiting sphere, and the team has experienced limited success during Crean's tenure so far.

I would submit that IU has experienced NO success during Crean's tenure. May it continue.

16-46 overall, 5-31 in conference, 0-2 in big 10 post season play. That's no success any way you slice it. They did lead the nation in % of victories that resulted in storming the court, though most would consider that another negative.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 11:31:49 AM »
16-46 overall, 5-31 in conference, 0-2 in big 10 post season play. That's no success any way you slice it. They did lead the nation in % of victories that resulted in storming the court, though most would consider that another negative.

Hoosier fans should never storm the court. I mean, it's Indiana. It's Indiana.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »

Because Buzz isn't number one in my heart, no coach or player ever is.  The school \ program is always above the players and the coaches because they come and go. 

No freudian slip Lenny and Robert (Canadian Dimes), absolutely 100% intentional.   I'd say the same thing if Dean Smith was our coach.  Program \ School #1, not any individual(s)

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 11:58:02 AM »
I do not mind a #42 preseason - if we surprise and play well, it's not far from the Top 25. 

I don;t remember, did we ever crack the Top 25 last year?  I remember we were very clsoe a few times. . .

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 12:05:49 PM »
Because Buzz isn't number one in my heart, no coach or player ever is.  The school \ program is always above the players and the coaches because they come and go. 

No freudian slip Lenny and Robert (Canadian Dimes), absolutely 100% intentional.   I'd say the same thing if Dean Smith was our coach.  Program \ School #1, not any individual(s)

After 8000+ posts you'd think that Chicos would understand that teal means sarcasm.

Lighten up, big guy.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 12:07:55 PM »
Im still wondering about the recession comment   :D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »
After 8000+ posts you'd think that Chicos would understand that teal means sarcasm.

Lighten up, big guy.

I understand the teal concept completely....apparently Robert and Lenny don't.  My response was more for those than Indee, but I figured I'd answer all 3 with one post.  Trying to be more efficient these days.   ;)

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 12:38:33 PM »
I do not mind a #42 preseason - if we surprise and play well, it's not far from the Top 25. 

I don;t remember, did we ever crack the Top 25 last year?  I remember we were very clsoe a few times. . .

I'm pretty sure we never did. I know we got votes a few times, but I don't think we ever cracked it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 12:49:59 PM »

False argument. This isn't an either/or situation. Saying that Buzz (or Al or Dean or Dwade or MJ) is #1 in your heart doesn't suggest that one elevates them to an equal or higher status than the school/program, only to the status of favorite coach/player/etc. Most people's hearts are large enough to accomodate multiple #1s (God, wife, kids, teams (in different sports), players, coaches, books, movies, candy bars, ice cream flavors, etc, etc, etc). Lighten up.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 01:22:35 PM »
False argument. This isn't an either/or situation. Saying that Buzz (or Al or Dean or Dwade or MJ) is #1 in your heart doesn't suggest that one elevates them to an equal or higher status than the school/program, only to the status of favorite coach/player/etc. Most people's hearts are large enough to accomodate multiple #1s (God, wife, kids, teams (in different sports), players, coaches, books, movies, candy bars, ice cream flavors, etc, etc, etc). Lighten up.

Exactly. Well put. Lennys sounds like a lawyer here (I mean that in a good way)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 01:34:32 PM »

That's fine if you view it that way, you view it differently then I do.  No player and certainly no coach is above it all. I do find it hilarious that you say most people have hearts large enough to accomodate it all, when these very people you talk about (including yourself) have crapped on so many of the MU coaches upon their departure or even prior to departure.  Ironic as hell. 

The reality is, I do like all of our coaches we've had, but I put them a step below the bigger umbrella of MU and MU hoops.  I don't put them on an equal footing...you do, that's fine.  We're all different.  Lighten up.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 01:44:26 PM »
Guys, can't you pick fights over PM?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 02:41:12 PM »
Exactly. Well put. Lennys sounds like a lawyer here (I mean that in a good way)

I'm not, though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 03:05:07 PM »

don't really mind this either. its not like its the first time we've had to prove someone wrong. last year we started in the upper 80s. an early start will not be hard to crack the top 25.

last year we hit 27 for a week

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 03:12:09 PM »
That's fine if you view it that way, you view it differently then I do.  No player and certainly no coach is above it all. I do find it hilarious that you say most people have hearts large enough to accomodate it all, when these very people you talk about (including yourself) have crapped on so many of the MU coaches upon their departure or even prior to departure.  Ironic as hell. 

The reality is, I do like all of our coaches we've had, but I put them a step below the bigger umbrella of MU and MU hoops.  I don't put them on an equal footing...you do, that's fine.  We're all different.  Lighten up.

Amigo, you are still missing the point. Having a player or coach who is "#1 in your heart" does not mean one places them on equal footing with one's favorite team/program. Nor does it mean you place them "above it all". It means they are your favorite player or coach. Nothing more, nothing less.

In addition, their is absolutely no irony in the fact that I'm not fond of every coach in my favorite program's history. Pretty normal (universal?) in any fanbase.

Now, saying you like all of our coaches after the way you've absolutely trashed some of them (most notably KO) - that's more like it.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
Amigo, you are still missing the point. Having a player or coach who is "#1 in your heart" does not mean one places them on equal footing with one's favorite team/program. Nor does it mean you place them "above it all". It means they are your favorite player or coach. Nothing more, nothing less.

In addition, their is absolutely no irony in the fact that I'm not fond of every coach in my favorite program's history. Pretty normal (universal?) in any fanbase.

Now, saying you like all of our coaches after the way you've absolutely trashed some of them (most notably KO) - that's more like it.

Wow....another thread where it just becomes an off-topic argument between Chicos and some other regular.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »
Wow....another thread where it just becomes an off-topic argument between Chicos and some other regular.

Partially cleaned - but I'm on my cell so hard to get everything.  Folks, please try to self moderate!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 12:57:22 AM »

I didn't trash KO, I stated the truth in how he acted....he trashed himself with his own actions.  How is telling the truth trashing someone?  That's a new one. 

You miss the point in the irony....see heart and size of...the argument you were making.  I can't help you get there, you'll have to do it all by yourself. 

There are some people that I fear pop little blue pills for our coach because they are in such an orgasmic stage at times.  You'll forgive me if I don't go that far.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 09:58:36 AM »

There are some people that I fear pop little blue pills for our coach because they are in such an orgasmic stage at times.  You'll forgive me if I don't go that far.

You sure you haven't gone that far?  Seems you are still sporting wood 3 years after Tan Tommy's departure - so what is wrong with people such as myself who are all wood over Buzz?  At least he is our present day coach, and thus far has done a great job.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »
I didn't trash KO, I stated the truth in how he acted....he trashed himself with his own actions.  How is telling the truth trashing someone?  That's a new one. 

You miss the point in the irony....see heart and size of...the argument you were making.  I can't help you get there, you'll have to do it all by yourself. 

When you trash KO's character you're just reciting facts.  When people criticize Crean's character by reciting the facts we are "haters". Sounds fair.