[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: We Need A Recruit. Badly.  (Read 23233 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
We Need A Recruit. Badly.
« on: August 31, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »
St. John's and Rutgers picking up studs. Pittsburgh rolling as usual. Nova, Cuse, and UConn always get the cream. WVU coming off a Final Four. Seton Hall is the attractive option now in NYC metro. Hell, even crapty DePaul is getting looks. Meanwhile, crickets.

In the Big East corporation, it doesn't take long to fall behind. Pray for good news soon -- and not the kind from coal mining Scranton.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
Re: We Need A Recruit. Badly.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »
Pitt over-recruited by one (GASP!).

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:40:14 PM »
One of those you listed that we probably won't be fighting for recruits with is UConn. Word is that their infractions committee suspension will be finalized this friday. One of their major targets for this class, PF Angelo Chol, who had previously had UConn at or near the top of their list, recently scratched them off. Asked why, he tweeted that it was because they had lost their scholarships. (This has since been deleted and its likely he wasn't supposed to make that statement) What exactly that means, I'm not sure. Is it all their scholarships this year, one a year for a few? We'll see this friday.

Yea, it would be nice to have a recruit or two in the bag, but it looks like the pieces are starting to fall into place on a national level, and that should mean we have a commit or two in the next month. With the sheer amount of top guys we are in on, I am not too worried about a dud class for us.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 03:46:29 PM »
The one thing I have noticed about Buzz is things seem to come out of nowhere.  Outside of the Maymon commit, it seems to me that most of the recruiting announcements seem to come out of left field.  Bowen, Jones, Blue (even though we knew we were in the final bunch), Smith, Newbill, and the Wilson transfer...

There don't seem to be a lot of "leaks" of information about commits.  My guess is that we will hear something soon and it may surprise us.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 03:50:14 PM »
One of those you listed that we probably won't be fighting for recruits with is UConn. Word is that their infractions committee suspension will be finalized this friday. One of their major targets for this class, PF Angelo Chol, who had previously had UConn at or near the top of their list, recently scratched them off. Asked why, he tweeted that it was because they had lost their scholarships. (This has since been deleted and its likely he wasn't supposed to make that statement) What exactly that means, I'm not sure. Is it all their scholarships this year, one a year for a few? We'll see this friday.

Yea, it would be nice to have a recruit or two in the bag, but it looks like the pieces are starting to fall into place on a national level, and that should mean we have a commit or two in the next month. With the sheer amount of top guys we are in on, I am not too worried about a dud class for us.

Not necessarily true. This Friday was the date that UConn's admins and attorneys would present their findings to the NCAA infractions commitee. They may or may not present their self-imposed penalties at this time as well. One very likely possibility is that they will lose several scholarships next year and the year after and count this year's loss of Ater Majok towards the penalty.  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »
St. John's and Rutgers picking up studs. Pittsburgh rolling as usual. Nova, Cuse, and UConn always get the cream. WVU coming off a Final Four. Seton Hall is the attractive option now in NYC metro. Hell, even crapty DePaul is getting looks. Meanwhile, crickets.

In the Big East corporation, it doesn't take long to fall behind. Pray for good news soon -- and not the kind from coal mining Scranton.

Pretty sure we are facing some challenge trying to convince kids to come to MU..given all the talent on the roster currently - with  Smith, Blue, Jamil Jones, and Jamil Wilson all sophomores next year..the immediate PT available at the 1, 2 and 3 spots..is going to be pretty hard to come by.  I'm sure we will end up with at least 1 Top 100 kid of the 3 scholarships..as for the other 2 players..could be more fly under the radar types...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 05:24:19 PM »
Patience young padawan.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »
happy to hear SJU pick up Harkless. When sju is good, the BE is a much better conference. rutgers picking up Jack though is unfortunate. I always wish and hope for bad things to happen to that athletic program.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 06:05:06 PM »
Is this like walking around McCormick shouting, as ZFB was known to do, "I need to get laid, badly?"
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 06:45:16 PM »
Seton Hall and Rutgers need to go away.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
recruiting will be harder this year for buzz.  he has a team loaded with really talented young players.  Buzz will really earn his recruitng stripes this year.  I too despite the loaded team still expect him sign a very good class.  nevertheless as a prospect looking at Mu we are very talented and deep and young at every spot.  Makes things tougher for Buzz.

I agree on some of the signings coming out of left field but Buzz will continue to recruit the JUCO's as it is his strength and there is just not alot of coverage on the Jucos and their leanings etc.  Also, guys like Smith and Jones Buzz was on long and hard for along time.  i was told back in the spring of last year that Jones was Buzz's number 1 guy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:45:02 PM by Canadian Dimes »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »

Look at when the guys committed last year....Jone was around this time, but Vander and Reggie didn't come on board until the fall.  It's still early.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »
Chill out......it's still early.  We have roughly 8-9 months between the 2 signing periods and there are plenty of high quality guys still out there.  And honestly, some of the best prospects like to hold out until spring to see how some team rosters shake out.  I am not worried in the slightest as Buzz has been more than diligent in the recruiting department.  I expect we will get 1-2 committments by the end of October and probably 1 in the spring, which could very well be a JuCo guy.  In Buzz we trust.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 09:04:37 PM »
I'll worry if we don't have a very good commitment a few days after Marquette Madness.  We always get one during that time.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 11:52:23 PM »

I am really interested to see what post-Gonzo Seton Hall looks like.  I have hated Gonzo since the Nutter incident, but really have nothing against the program. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »

Throwing rocks from a glass house? Do you have friends that are BE football school alums? Wow. Where did the superiority complex come from?

Btw, I think Rutgers would GLADLY go away....for a fat check at a more stable conference.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:05:35 AM by goodgreatgrand »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 08:04:19 AM »
Throwing rocks from a glass house? Do you have friends that are BE football school alums? Wow. Where did the superiority complex come from?

Btw, I think Rutgers would GLADLY go away....for a fat check at a more stable conference.

What? Where did you get all that from?

Just ripping on the Jersey schools cause its fun...and its not like they care. Big East needs some stable bottom dwellers in this conference and we need it to stay that way...9 NCAA Tourney teams and a few more on the bubble is enough.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:11:34 AM by KCMarq09 »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 10:09:47 AM »
Back to the original premise, why?   Who?    Assuming no transfers or early entries,  we are set at the 1,2 and 3 for a couple of years.    Our only true 'need' is a dominant 5/4.  And you can pick one of those up at the corner store.  ::)  Buzz is going to have a tough sales job because there is little instant PT to be had.     He will find somebody.    And just when we give up hope, he will land a recruit we never saw coming.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 10:23:22 AM »
Back to the original premise, why?   Who?    Assuming no transfers or early entries,  we are set at the 1,2 and 3 for a couple of years.    Our only true 'need' is a dominant 5/4.  And you can pick one of those up at the corner store.  ::)  Buzz is going to have a tough sales job because there is little instant PT to be had.     He will find somebody.    And just when we give up hope, he will land a recruit we never saw coming.   

+1

Selectivity matters in the upcoming class more than it has in some time for MU

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »
I think we should go and get DJ Newbill  ;D

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 06:16:39 PM »
To continue on from my main point, Rutgers picks up another great recruit today in Mack.

The competition within conference has stepped up dramatically over the last four months. This is bearing out with prospects and with momentum gaining in perception. If your anchor class isn't as strong as the hype, you may not have much to fall back on.

I understand spots are limited. I get that the fans aren't too worried because the hype meter is high on the kids who have never played. And I know people don't get too worked up when recruits go elsewhere -- after all, you can't have everyone. But you still need to land the guys you target and we haven't this summer.

MU Ted

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 08:14:27 PM »
no need for desperation, avalanche.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 08:20:03 PM »

But you still need to land the guys you target and we haven't this summer.

Yet...

You dont know what Buzz is working on.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 09:16:49 PM »
no need for desperation, avalanche.

Explain to me where Myles Mack fits in at MU, small point, have Reggie Smith for 3 years after this year, Cadougan has 2 years more
and Blue wants to play some point as well.  Do you think Mack wants to sit behind those 3?  Rutgers and St. Johns should have huge up
years on recruiting, they have no players.  No different than MU last few years, opportunity knocks?  I really only see 1 recruit needed,
if they get Miller or Shaw, the rest of the recruits would be gravy.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 10:15:22 PM »
I think all of us posters need a recruit a lot more than Marquette basketball does.