[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We Need A Recruit. Badly.  (Read 23462 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: We Need A Recruit. Badly.
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 11:20:40 PM »
To continue on from my main point, Rutgers picks up another great recruit today in Mack.

The competition within conference has stepped up dramatically over the last four months. This is bearing out with prospects and with momentum gaining in perception. If your anchor class isn't as strong as the hype, you may not have much to fall back on.

I understand spots are limited. I get that the fans aren't too worried because the hype meter is high on the kids who have never played. And I know people don't get too worked up when recruits go elsewhere -- after all, you can't have everyone. But you still need to land the guys you target and we haven't this summer.
It's been posted in a different thread that we have offer 23 kids, and only 6 of the 23 have gone elsewhere.  This means there are still 17 kids we are targeting that we could land, plus some likely kids we are targeting that aren't on that list.  MU has never had as much talent assembled on its roster, as it does right now - certainly the sell will be a little more difficult to get a Top 100 kid to come to MU right now - than it would to St. Johns, Rutgers or Seton Hall where ample playing time was available.  We saw Tom Crean be very effective recruiting 1 good class every 4 years..so far Buzz is basically 2 for 2.  Let's see how it shakes out in the next 3 months.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 11:29:53 PM »
I think all of us posters need a recruit a lot more than Marquette basketball does.
+1000000
Original member of the "Dean's List"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 09:49:31 AM »
I think all of us posters need a recruit a lot more than Marquette basketball does.
Wrongo.

We definitely need to start reeling in some bigs that are not projects.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 10:32:48 AM »
Then Buzz should go to JC Penney's and visit the big and tall men's shop.   Oh, wait, they don't actually have big and tall men down at Penney's ?!?!?   Wow, I thought it was that easy and our coach's have just been ignoring this easy solution.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 10:43:34 AM »

I think Buzz had to take best players available because of lack of depth the last few years, but this year he should recruit need for 2/3 scholarships.  They need to be interior players to balance the roster for practice and depth.

I think whatever big we will get is going to be a project.  Whether we like it or not, when you think of places that produce pro big men, we do not come to mind.  There are so few bigs that are not projects to start with, and they have better choices.  Maybe it will happen, but give me a Barro/Burke clone to go with what we have and I would be happy.

TheRock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 10:44:12 AM »
Then Buzz should go to JC Penney's and visit the big and tall men's shop.   Oh, wait, they don't actually have big and tall men down at Penney's ?!?!?   Wow, I thought it was that easy and our coach's have just been ignoring this easy solution.  

There is a big and tall section at Macy's, I suggest he check it out.
"It doesn't matter what your name is"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 10:50:24 AM »
True, I have to believe that you could get a better quality B & T man in the B&T men's department at Macy's than you can get from Penney's.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

dmjt4160

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »
Just to let you guys know apparently Faust's dad is sort of shutting down his recruitment. The final 4 are Oregon State, Florida State, Marquette and Maryland. Its basically Marquette and Maryland but they are going to let those other two schools come for an in home. MD and Marquette will go in-home on September 15th not sure about the other two. His dad initially said a couple of weeks ago that they would let 6 schools come in for in-home visits and then choose 3 to visit officially. I'm not even sure if he will take officials at this point.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »
Just to let you guys know apparently Faust's dad is sort of shutting down his recruitment. The final 4 are Oregon State, Florida State, Marquette and Maryland. Its basically Marquette and Maryland but they are going to let those other two schools come for an in home. MD and Marquette will go in-home on September 15th not sure about the other two. His dad initially said a couple of weeks ago that they would let 6 schools come in for in-home visits and then choose 3 to visit officially. I'm not even sure if he will take officials at this point.

This is really big news, almost deserves to be posted in a new thread. I really hope we land Faust. Latest on ESPN had him at 16 overall. How did you hear this?
Warrior in the class of 2011.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »
Agreed.  If we could miraculously land Faust and Shaw I could care less who the 3rd scholarship was given to....hek give it to Freeway for all I care.  Let's see if we can land one of these MAJOR prospects.....the next 4-6 weeks is going to be very interesting.

dmjt4160

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »

This is really big news, almost deserves to be posted in a new thread. I really hope we land Faust. Latest on ESPN had him at 16 overall. How did you hear this?

MD site.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 01:04:54 PM »

Thanks a lot for all the great info on the Faust recruitment!

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »
Wrongo.

Of course we need to improve our big man situation. But it is still very early in the process and I don't see it as particularly urgent right now. Even though there are more and more signings every day throughout the Big East and nation, most of the guys MU has targeted are still out there. There may have been some others, but it seems like the only guy we really put the full-court press on who has signed elsewhere so far is Brandon Dawson.

I meant to say that we posters may feel nervous, but the Marquette basketball program is doing fine as is. And I don't think we should be worried about keeping up with the Rutgers and St. Johns of the world.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 01:52:24 PM »
MD site.

Which site, aren't they all premium?
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

dmjt4160

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »
Which site, aren't they all premium?

insidemdsports.com has a free board. But I'm a MD fan so I'm on all the premium sites. I've been checking in here for awhile posting about Faust so I figured I would give you guys the latest update.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »
insidemdsports.com has a free board. But I'm a MD fan so I'm on all the premium sites. I've been checking in here for awhile posting about Faust so I figured I would give you guys the latest update.

Props to you for posting updates here - thanks.  Sounds as though this is going to come down to which coach presents a better case for their university/program, and who's personality connects best with Faust and family.  I'd think y'all have the inside track on him if Bino Ransom has close ties to the family - yet I wouldn't underestimate Buzz.

What is the complexion of MD's roster at the 2 position, with regard to current talent?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

dmjt4160

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 04:55:55 PM »
Props to you for posting updates here - thanks.  Sounds as though this is going to come down to which coach presents a better case for their university/program, and who's personality connects best with Faust and family.  I'd think y'all have the inside track on him if Bino Ransom has close ties to the family - yet I wouldn't underestimate Buzz.

What is the complexion of MD's roster at the 2 position, with regard to current talent?

Not good!

When Faust comes in Sean Mosley will be a senior but he is more of a small forward type of player as opposed to a pure shooting 2 guard. We have two guards coming in as freshmen this year but both are more combo guards that will be asked to carry the load at PG for their careers. Both are capable of playing the 2 but are 6'1" ish combo guard types as I mentioned. Then we have Mychal Parker who is an athletic slashing small forward. So we've got 2 solid pgs, 2 talented small forwards, a beast center, and a couple other solid frontcourt players. Faust is the missing piece so to speak.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 09:19:48 AM »
Is this like walking around McCormick shouting, as ZFB was known to do, "I need to get laid, badly?"

Best scene in Fellini's Amacord was the crazy uncle climbing the tree and shouting out, "I need a woman!" for hours on end.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »
What, no haiku?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 09:37:47 AM »
What, no haiku?

Just back from Afghanistan. Lost my poetic touch while killing jihadis. Funny thing is that War Fighting takes the soft, creamy filling right out of a man.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »
Just back from Afghanistan. Lost my poetic touch while killing jihadis. Funny thing is that War Fighting takes the soft, creamy filling right out of a man.

Bleh...sorry to hear that, but thanks for your service!

Is your son still playing football at WSU?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »

Bleh...sorry to hear that, but thanks for your service!

Is your son still playing football at WSU?

He is Sultan. Kid has put on 30 pounds and lost every ounce of fat. He's almost too big to fit into a cockpit (Having said which, Chad Hennings not only played for the Cowboys but was also a combat tested Warthog Driver.) Wazoo's season doesn't look promising but it's the journey and not the destination.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 09:57:30 AM »

Welcome home. Quick turnaround or are you stateside for awhile?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 10:04:41 AM »
Welcome home. Quick turnaround or are you stateside for awhile?

Looks like the end of the runway for this old fighter pilot. Six years, six deployments to the SWA Area of Operations. Mrs Warthog simply said, "You're done, Colonel."  I think she means it this time. Looks like I might need to get a real job soon...

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 10:09:47 AM »
Looks like the end of the runway for this old fighter pilot. Six years, six deployments to the SWA Area of Operations. Mrs Warthog simply said, "You're done, Colonel."  I think she means it this time. Looks like I might need to get a real job soon...
Welcome back.  And may I say that Uncle Sam's loss is this board's gain...this is a far more interesting and entertaining place with you around.