[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ledaryl Billingsley  (Read 17032 times)

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
Ledaryl Billingsley
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
Who remembers the shame of this episode? This was the beginning of the end for Mike Deane.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Ledaryl Billingsley
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »
What's the point of this?  Seriously, I cannot wait for recruits to start committing and the season to start to get garbage threads like this off the boards.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:46:14 AM »
"shame" is a pretty strong word.  Deane was used by LD, but did not realize it.  Should have moved on when LD did not sign that NLI that early signing period.  but, the episode did bring on the start of Dean's demise.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »
Too bad no time machine has been invented, you'd totally be on top of this issue in 1997.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:42:58 PM »
Why bring up the incompetence in the recruiting area of our last two head coaches?
..maybe only to contrast them to what we have going on now?

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »
Why bring up the incompetence in the recruiting area of our last two head coaches?

He only mentioned one coach.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 01:26:23 PM »
What's the point of this?  Seriously, I cannot wait for recruits to start committing and the season to start to get garbage threads like this off the boards.

What is the objecton to bringing this up? Younger posters may not remember this! I

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
He only mentioned one coach.

That's exactly what I was thinking. CD is always looking to turn any thread into a Crean bashing...even in threads that have nothing to do with TC.

We understand you hate the guy, but this was a reach. Enough already. Take your hatred of him to an Indiana board.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 02:41:06 PM »
The problem I had with it was the continued recruiting of LB after he verballed to MU.  In football, it happens all the time, but in hoops it wasn't happening that much, especially during the 1990's.  There were many pissed off folks in the AD at the time when that was going on.  Many fans were upset as well.  The irony, of course, is that now we continue to recruit kids that have verballed (by now, I don't mean just the last two years...we've been doing it the back half of this decade) .... it's one of the things that doesn't sit well with me.

Things change, I'm an old codger on some of this stuff.  Oh welll

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 02:47:49 PM »
The problem I had with it was the continued recruiting of LB after he verballed to MU.  In football, it happens all the time, but in hoops it wasn't happening that much, especially during the 1990's.  There were many pissed off folks in the AD at the time when that was going on.  Many fans were upset as well.  The irony, of course, is that now we continue to recruit kids that have verballed (by now, I don't mean just the last two years...we've been doing it the back half of this decade) .... it's one of the things that doesn't sit well with me.

Basketball has become very cut throat. That is what happens when you start paying coaches $1,000,000+. They have no way of replacing that kind of income if they are fired.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 02:54:18 PM »
Basketball has become very cut throat. That is what happens when you start paying coaches $1,000,000+. They have no way of replacing that kind of income if they are fired.

Bilsu, I agree with you 100%.  Unfortunately, it leads to decisions and actions it didn't used to lead to when the $$$ wasn't where it is today. 

I'll now return to being a stick in the mud and wishing things were like they used to be.    :-\

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »

I recall the coach at Tulae was Perry Clark. His reputation was a bit on the downside, no?

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 06:35:25 PM »
Wasn't the issue with Billingsley that his father knew Bo Ellis and the father seemed to want Marquette while LeDarryl couldn't or wouldn't pull the trigger to sign with Marquette in November?

That's how I remember it and if that was the case, the MU coaching staff at the time should have told him they were going to still recruit him, but that they would also recruit others if he couldn't give them a firm answer. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 07:44:59 PM »
Bilsu, I agree with you 100%.  Unfortunately, it leads to decisions and actions it didn't used to lead to when the $$$ wasn't where it is today.  

I'll now return to being a stick in the mud and wishing things were like they used to be.    :-\

Isn't it ironic that you (Chico's) are in the television/broadcast industry, which can be blamed for the $$$ and increasing arms race in college sports?

Crazy ain't it...

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/article_8d143b7f-00cd-51c0-91e2-68919ddc00d3.html

Billingsley still thinking of MU
Story
Discussion
By By | Posted: Monday, April 14, 1997 12:00 am | No Comments Posted
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

JERRY KARPOWICZ
Journal Times
MILWAUKEE — A man is only as good as his word, and that is all Marquette University men's basketball followers have to comfort themselves with in regards to LeDaryl Billingsley, the 6-foot-7 forward from Morgan Park High School in Chicago. In this case, the man is Mike Daniels, Billingsley's stepfather.
"I'm telling everyone to relax," Daniels said via telephone Sunday from Chicago. "He's going to sign."
That's as close to a guarantee as Marquette is going to get until letter of intent is signed, sealed and delivered to MU. The spring signing period started April 9 and runs for a month.
Daniels said Billingsley would not be providing any reassuring statements.
"Right now he doesn't want to talk to anyone," Daniels said. "And I'm not going to let him. Don't worry. Just don't worry."
Billingsley made a verbal commitment to MU late last summer. He did not make it official during last fall's signing period because he was concerned about his score on his college entrance test, a concern that proved to be unfounded.
Marquette gave what then was its last available scholarship to 6-10 center Greg Clausen of Dixon, Ill. A scholarship became available in January when Alton Mason transferred because of academic struggles.
Billingsley averaged 23 points and 18 rebounds a game as a senior. He was named to the Chicago Sun-Times' 20-player Class AA All-State team and received All-State special mention in the Chicago Tribune.
Daniels said a report Billingsley wanted to make a visit to another school so that he had something to compare Marquette with was not true. "We're not looking at any other schools," Daniels said. "He's not going anywhere."
Asked what was holding up the signing, Daniels said: "I just think he's nervous."
Daniels said he and Billingsley spoke with Marquette coach Mike Deane and assistant Bo Ellis last week. Marquette coaches cannot comment on recruits until they are signed.
One interested observer who can comment on Billingsley is Brian Wardle, the 6-5 forward from Hinsdale (Ill.) Central who signed with MU last fall.
"I haven't seen him in a while," said Wardle, who has played with and against Billingsley. "Hopefully, LeDaryl will come to Marquette. He's a great player."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:47:40 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 08:01:18 PM »

I'll now return to being a stick in the mud

What year did you graduate from dental school?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 08:02:44 PM »
Isn't it ironic that you (Chico's) are in the television/broadcast industry, which can be blamed for the $$$ and increasing arms race in college sports?

Crazy ain't it...

Maybe, though is it a chicken or the egg?  People want to see college sports, so they build bigger arenas and stadiums.  TV came along and they put games on over the air for free.  Then people wanted more games, so they put them on cable...then satellite came along so people could get the games no matter where they lived.  Now they can consume them online or via mobile.

Is it demand or supply that has caused it?   Part of it I'm sure is a "if you build it, they will come" scenario.  In other instances, the building didn't happen until the demand was there.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:04:25 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 08:16:46 PM »
I actually called one of Deane's assistant coaches when the fit was hitting the shan over Billingsley. Told him I recommend he tell Billingsley and his father that MU's schollie offer was off the table. Basically, he should have intercourse with himself.
Ass't coach said Al often told him he "put his head in the sand" many times over recruits. So, that's the philosophy Deane and staff had at the time. They just let Billingsley play them.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 01:51:36 AM »
Maybe, though is it a chicken or the egg?  People want to see college sports, so they build bigger arenas and stadiums.  TV came along and they put games on over the air for free.  Then people wanted more games, so they put them on cable...then satellite came along so people could get the games no matter where they lived.  Now they can consume them online or via mobile.

Is it demand or supply that has caused it?   Part of it I'm sure is a "if you build it, they will come" scenario.  In other instances, the building didn't happen until the demand was there.

Agreed.

I would say the professional teams really impacted the college scene.

The days of Columbia football and CCNY basketball were numbered when television sets allowed for coverage of games.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 02:18:37 AM »
I actually called one of Deane's assistant coaches when the fit was hitting the shan over Billingsley. Told him I recommend he tell Billingsley and his father that MU's schollie offer was off the table. Basically, he should have intercourse with himself.
Ass't coach said Al often told him he "put his head in the sand" many times over recruits. So, that's the philosophy Deane and staff had at the time. They just let Billingsley play them.

If memory serves, and I was in the department at the time, we eventually did tell him to love himself wrong time.  That's when Claussen was given the offer instead.  Obviously it was drawn out and took awhile.

So was it Bidlingmyer, Theiss or Bo that you called?   ;D   I'm going with Theiss.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 06:22:51 AM »
Dan Thiess
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
And where is LeDaryl today?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 11:57:43 AM »
Who cares?  18 year olds make dumb decisions occasionally.  I am certain that you wouldn't want some of the decisions you made at that age to be discussed on a public message board 15 years after the fact.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 12:18:22 PM »
Hopefully the warrants have expired

feedback