Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] What a Big East Network can do  (Read 2402 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] What a Big East Network can do
« on: August 24, 2010, 07:15:04 AM »
What a Big East Network can do

Earlier this month, the commissioner of the Big East Conference raised the possibility of the conference setting up its own television network.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/101369879.html

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] What a Big East Network can do
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:19:21 AM »
I've been saying it all along it is doable.  The paradigm is changing.  Internet connected television, cell phone video and the basic quality of streaming video will make it cost effective and a nice revenue stream.  The new delivery platforms will impact everything across the board including the traditional delivery methods of over the air and cable.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 02:48:41 PM »
The key line in the entire story...."Nelson pointed out that we're talking about revenue here, not profit"

Right now, the rights holders own the rights to the streams, OTA, etc.  Those are negotiated into the deals.  It's great to have mobile, internet televisions, etc, but if you don't have the rights to put the content into them, doesn't do you a lot of good.

Could it happen?  Yes.  Will it happen?  Hard for me to see ESPN letting the Big East walk away.  Harder for me to see the Big East walking away from ESPN and taking the risk.  It will be fun to watch it all unfold.

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 03:05:49 PM »
The key line in the entire story...."Nelson pointed out that we're talking about revenue here, not profit"

Right now, the rights holders own the rights to the streams, OTA, etc.  Those are negotiated into the deals.  It's great to have mobile, internet televisions, etc, but if you don't have the rights to put the content into them, doesn't do you a lot of good.

Could it happen?  Yes.  Will it happen?  Hard for me to see ESPN letting the Big East walk away.  Harder for me to see the Big East walking away from ESPN and taking the risk.  It will be fun to watch it all unfold.

The irony in this is that the Big East and ESPN made each other. No Big East, No ESPN. Shame to see them break up.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »
The irony in this is that the Big East and ESPN made each other. No Big East, No ESPN. Shame to see them break up.

Yes, which is why I don't think they will part ways.  ESPN will probably pay extra to keep them on the mothership do to the relationship.  ESPN basically has to come up with enough money to make the risk not worth it.

In my opinion the Big East will have a tougher time getting distribution than the Big Ten did.  Smaller schools, less alumni, basketball driven means less attractive 24/7 content.  It does have 16 schools going for it, which is a positive in terms of filling the content window, but much of that will be with sports that MSOs won't want to pay for.  But who knows, one way to do it is to sell an equity stake in the channel to different MSO's...in other words, Comcast owns part, DIRECTV, DISH, Time Warner, etc.  It's been done before.

If I were the Big East, I'd definitely pound my chest a few times about the Big East Network to leverage the negotiations, it's the smart thing to do. 

feedback