[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Time Warner/ESPN  (Read 24239 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Time Warner/ESPN
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 08:11:51 PM »
Way way down the road, perhaps.  You could make the argument that they wouldn't need a network and everything essentially becomes source to end user.  It comes down to the adaption rate of those type of technologies and would someone like the Big East want to bypass the hardlined world?  In my mind, these new technologies will work together but not against one another because you cut your own throat in terms of distribution otherwise.  Either through sour business relationships or simply because 60% of the country won't have this stuff for years and years.  Think of just today, we can't even get a solid 3G network across this country, let alone in many major cities as calls are dropped, etc.  We have a long way to go...it's exciting stuff but a long way to go.

Yea, I know what you mean. The phone company still exists because some people still want/need a hard line.

But, I remember in 2000 when a Nokia phone that you could play solitaire on was cutting edge. In 2010, the iphone and android are basically mini-computers that can make phone calls.

I can't imagine where TV's and handsets will be in 2010. The demand for infrastructure and faster speeds is going to remain high, and people are going to continue to pay for it. It won't be just early adopters, as these technologies become more and more user friendly.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 08:14:15 PM »
Yea, I know what you mean. The phone company still exists because some people still want/need a hard line.

But, I remember in 2000 when a Nokia phone that you could play solitaire on was cutting edge. In 2010, the iphone and android are basically mini-computers that can make phone calls.

I can't imagine where TV's and handsets will be in 2010. The demand for infrastructure and faster speeds is going to remain high, and people are going to continue to pay for it. It won't be just early adopters, as these technologies become more and more user friendly.

You should see some of the stuff coming, it's pretty cool.  Wireless TV...I've seen a demo.  No cables...nothing but it's not rabbit ears either, it actually still pulls in the video from provider so you can get ESPN, HBO, etc.  Very cool.  Some of the media servers are going to be very cool that come out in late 2010 and early 2011 from some of the well knowns.  It's going to be fun and interesting to say the least.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Deal very close to completion
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/finance/news/e3idbe87d2389f4477c073719b553d69422
The second big point of contention has been whether TW Cable should pay Disney for online sports service ESPN 3 or whether the content company should directly charge consumers, which the cable firm prefers.

Oh, right, because THAT won't get complicated.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 03:53:46 PM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 06:28:46 PM »
http://www.thewrap.com/television/article/time-warner-cable-disney-near-agreement-20524

ESPN will be on your tv come Thursday.

I'd agree, and with a nice price increase coming later this year or early next year to cover it.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 08:57:32 AM »
Looks like TWC customers will now get ESPN3.com!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »
Does ESPN3 = ESPN360?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 09:31:56 AM »
Does ESPN3 = ESPN360?

Yes.  It's the same service, they just rebranded it.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2010/08/30/daily51.html

I guess they signed a deal. I hope they used ink.

If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »
I'd agree, and with a nice price increase coming later this year or early next year to cover it.

I actaully just moved into a new house and got TWC...was able to get a price "locked in" for the next two years. Still a month-to-month subscriber, but no chance of paying any more than what I'm at now.

My guess would be if you are an existing customer, you could call in and try to do the same?
The "average fan" is an idiot.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 06:59:33 PM »
I can't get espn3.com yet? Does anyone else have it or not?
-Bill Walton

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 07:49:16 PM »
I actually just checked mine a couple hours ago and it was working.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 09:12:48 AM »
I actually just checked mine a couple hours ago and it was working.
I still do not have it. Did you watch a game?

Roadrunner is not there.
-Bill Walton

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 05:22:13 PM »
I still do not have it. Did you watch a game?

Roadrunner is not there.

Didn't watch a game.  Just wanted to check it and clicked on a tennis match - worked fine.  Just clicked on the UT v. Rice football game and it came up without a problem.  Not sure why you aren't getting it. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 08:08:18 AM »
Didn't watch a game.  Just wanted to check it and clicked on a tennis match - worked fine.  Just clicked on the UT v. Rice football game and it came up without a problem.  Not sure why you aren't getting it. 
Do you have roadrunner? Roadrunner was not on the list.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Still can't watch ESPN3, will it go into effect next Thursday? No listing of either Roadrunner or Time-Warner on the dropdown box.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 12:19:23 PM »
Do you have roadrunner? Roadrunner was not on the list.

I do have Roadrunner.  When you say it is not on the list I assume you mean on some sort of registration page?  For whatever reason I didn't have to register.  I'm guessing because I had previously registered my computer when in school (because on campus I could access espn3/espn360).  When accessing espn3.com the other day, it didn't take me to a registration page, just went right to the various live events I could watch.

Sorry this isn't much help, I don't know enough about computers to determine why it's accessible to me and not you.  Hopefully it gets taken care of soon.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2010, 06:31:02 PM »
I do have Roadrunner.  When you say it is not on the list I assume you mean on some sort of registration page?  For whatever reason I didn't have to register.  I'm guessing because I had previously registered my computer when in school (because on campus I could access espn3/espn360).  When accessing espn3.com the other day, it didn't take me to a registration page, just went right to the various live events I could watch.

Sorry this isn't much help, I don't know enough about computers to determine why it's accessible to me and not you.  Hopefully it gets taken care of soon.
You must have something else, other than Roadrunner.
-Bill Walton

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »
You must have something else, other than Roadrunner.

I don't - I looked at my TWC bill to verify.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »
Still can't watch ESPN3, will it go into effect next Thursday? No listing of either Roadrunner or Time-Warner on the dropdown box.

Same here. There's some Euro qualifiers I wouldn't mind checking in on this afternoon.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »
Did anyone else see the bit in the announcement about the TWC exclusive Buzzer Beater channel for college hoops?  :o
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »
Did anyone else see the bit in the announcement about the TWC exclusive Buzzer Beater channel for college hoops?  :o

It's a service they are going to launch similar to their "goal line" service for college hoops. Similar to how Directv created RedZone and StrikeZone and now everyone has it, other providers are creating their own content channels as well.  All in the hopes of keeping customers from going to other providers. You'll see more and more of it, but the interesting thing will be at what production quality level. 

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2010, 06:34:12 PM »
ESPN3 is active for Time Warner customers as of this morning, though they've added another wrench into their already-confusing business model.  You must have ESPN in your Time Warner television package and sign into an account on Time Warner's website to access ESPN3.  I'm not sure if you have to do this through a Time Warner/RoadRunner internet connection or subscribe to their internet at all.  Also not sure what the Xbox implications are.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2010, 07:14:33 PM »
ESPN3 is active for Time Warner customers as of this morning, though they've added another wrench into their already-confusing business model.  You must have ESPN in your Time Warner television package and sign into an account on Time Warner's website to access ESPN3.  I'm not sure if you have to do this through a Time Warner/RoadRunner internet connection or subscribe to their internet at all.  Also not sure what the Xbox implications are.

It's called authentication and pretty much every MSO is going to demand this moving forward.  Basically, if you want to view ESPN online you are authenticated if you have it already as a linear paying customer via the cable (or satellite or telco) product.  It becomes a gateway for that product.