[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dawson and Coleman updates with Marquette mention  (Read 6971 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

MUSF

• All American
Re: Dawson and Coleman updates with Marquette mention
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:48:32 AM »
Apparently the Newbill situation hasn't affected fellow Philly kid Coleman.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:16:04 PM »
I just don't believe a high school kid from Philly is going to turn down an opportunity to play at Marquette because of what happened to one recruit, the details of which are unclear. If there's another dubious revocation in the future then I would be a little concerned. We're still in fluke territory. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:23:30 PM »
  Agreed.  It's affected posters, only.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »
...especially if the kid is a "high major bubble" as the article states.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »
...especially if the kid is a "high major bubble" as the article states.

Apparently we are focused like a laser the last few years on High Major Bubbles from Pennsylvania.  We have that cohort down pat. 

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »
you are not seriously going to bring into question the talent that has been brought in over the last 3 years , especially when compared to the previous 9 , are you?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »
The Newbill situation doesn't affect anything other than bring out the MU haters.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 08:25:32 PM »
you are not seriously going to bring into question the talent that has been brought in over the last 3 years , especially when compared to the previous 9 , are you?

Based on what...stars by their names?

I'll wait to see how they all pan out.  Last I checked, the previous 9 years brought in these guys

Dwyane Wade....one of the 4 best players on the planet
Lazar Hayward...NBA
Travis Diener...NBA
Steve Novak...NBA
Wesley Matthews...NBA

Jerel McNeal...all-time leading scorer in MU history
Dominic James...third all leading scorer and #2 assist man

etc, etc.

Final Four, lots of NCAA tournament appearances

The talent coming in now is very good, let's see how it translates to the court and the W's and L's.  Maybe we'll go to 2 Final Fours in Buzz's next 7 years.  Maybe we'll win a Big East title or two.  I hope so.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 09:39:08 PM »
Based on what...stars by their names?

I'll wait to see how they all pan out.  Last I checked, the previous 9 years brought in these guys

No arguing the fact that in 9 years Crean brought in 7 very talented players.  In fact a case could be made for even 1 or 2 more as talented players.  So far Buzz has brought in 2 players who I would argue have proven to be elite as well, Butler and DJO.  I'm not going to hold Buzz accountable to recruit a D Wade.  Wade wasn't top 10 in the nation, as he later proved to be, when he was recruited.  Getting another Wade outside the top 10 is as much luck as it is great recruiting.  Where Buzz appears to be surpassing Crean is the depth of his classes.  As Ron Wolf used to say its not your first round pick its the guys you get in the fourth round.  There was a big drop off with Crean after his top picks.  Buzz's talent level 1 -13 is better than Crean ever assembled.  There are 3 or 4 more guys who will be on the team this year who have the capacity to be elite performers.  Oddly enough Buzz's elite players may not compile the individual stats that Crean's stars did because they are surrounded by more talent.  But the overall team will likely be better.

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »
Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »
The depth issues that have plagued MU for the last 10 years...even the 2003 team really only went about 7 deep was becuase Crean either greatly misevaluated talent or could not attract it.

the debacles of 2004 and 2005 were a case of literally only having a few high major D1 players on the team. 

The 3 amigos were thanked by their coach for commiting to MU with Lazar Hayward and 9 other players that were not high major talent. 

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 04:05:05 PM »
The shame and humiliation of the NIT loss at home to Western Michigan still stings. Our lack of depth was tragic; Our lack of preparedness was hateful.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 05:02:44 PM »
Thank God this thread turned into something new and insightful.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 05:28:42 PM »
Thank God this thread turned into something new and insightful.

+1... we always need another thread to bring up Crean.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 08:45:46 PM »
Has Doc Rivers found a way to clone himself, and decided to turn his back on MU?  A quote from the article:

"Lanky wing David Rivers  of the Arkansas Wings said that he's got a top four of Clemson, Wichita State, UTEP and Ole Miss and that Clemson is his current leader. During the game we watched we spotted two Wichita State assistants, Ole Miss boss Andy Kennedy and UTEP's Tim Floyd. Nebraska's Doc Rivers was also on hand to watch."

????????
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 07:42:23 AM »
Has Doc Rivers found a way to clone himself, and decided to turn his back on MU?  A quote from the article:

"Lanky wing David Rivers  of the Arkansas Wings said that he's got a top four of Clemson, Wichita State, UTEP and Ole Miss and that Clemson is his current leader. During the game we watched we spotted two Wichita State assistants, Ole Miss boss Andy Kennedy and UTEP's Tim Floyd. Nebraska's Doc Rivers was also on hand to watch."

????????

:D

I guess all Doc's are the same...Nebraska's coach is Doc Sadler ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 01:03:53 PM »
No arguing the fact that in 9 years Crean brought in 7 very talented players.  In fact a case could be made for even 1 or 2 more as talented players.  So far Buzz has brought in 2 players who I would argue have proven to be elite as well, Butler and DJO.  I'm not going to hold Buzz accountable to recruit a D Wade.  Wade wasn't top 10 in the nation, as he later proved to be, when he was recruited.  Getting another Wade outside the top 10 is as much luck as it is great recruiting.  Where Buzz appears to be surpassing Crean is the depth of his classes.  As Ron Wolf used to say its not your first round pick its the guys you get in the fourth round.  There was a big drop off with Crean after his top picks.  Buzz's talent level 1 -13 is better than Crean ever assembled.  There are 3 or 4 more guys who will be on the team this year who have the capacity to be elite performers.  Oddly enough Buzz's elite players may not compile the individual stats that Crean's stars did because they are surrounded by more talent.  But the overall team will likely be better.

We have a roster with five players who have yet to play a minute of D1 (Crowder, Jones, Blue, Smith, Gardner), and three more with only token D1 experience (Cadougan, Otule & Williams).

While those eight may hold a lot of promise, we're not yet at the point where those players are certain to be a solid 13 deep roster. 

The fact of the matter is that we're still debating whether or not we have an adequate backup at the point on the team, whether we have a Big East-calibre 5, or who beyond DJO and Butler will be in the starting lineup.   

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 01:58:33 PM »
The 13 deep roster is needed for practice only. The fact is with counting our regular walk on and two red shirts we have 15 practice players, which is much better than the last two years when Buzz sometimes did not have enough players to practice. Of the 13 players that can play this year at the most 9 will see significant playing time. That will be determined by how well they play defense and how few offensive mistakes they make. As far as a backup point guard goes that is less important with Biuzz than it was with Crean. Crean's offense depended alot on the point guard dribble. Buzz's offense is a motion which depends on players moving and passing the ball. It is not a point guard dominated offense.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 08:29:42 PM »
The 13 deep roster is needed for practice only. The fact is with counting our regular walk on and two red shirts we have 15 practice players, which is much better than the last two years when Buzz sometimes did not have enough players to practice.

In reality, we're about where we were each of the last two seasons.  In both the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons, on the first of August all 13 scholarships filled, plus a walk-on each year.   

This year the only difference is that we have 13 scholarship players and two walk-ons instead of just one.