[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BJ Young, Rivals #33 - Marquette in Top 5  (Read 40703 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: BJ Young, Rivals #33 - Marquette in Top 5
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2010, 01:15:42 PM »
I say lazy in terms of general commentary, not personally saying you are lazy, only that your comments were lazy.  My point is when people say "you always" or "you never", those are lazy statements that don't come close to being accurate.  They are nothing but generalities.

Peace

Ok get it.  Didn't mean "never" or "always" in a literal sense but point taken.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2010, 03:32:44 PM »
Of course, you ripped on a player's intellectual ability because he mixed up a couple words, something none of us have ever, ever done.

Wanna bet?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2010, 04:10:24 PM »
Wanna bet?

???

I was being sarcastic. We have all messed up a few words on occasion, obviously.  Maybe I didn't write that very clear.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2010, 04:57:03 PM »
???

I was being sarcastic. We have all messed up a few words on occasion, obviously.  Maybe I didn't write that very clear.

You were clear.  Chicos is having a bad week and taking it out on the forums.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »
Dave Telep tweeted earlier this afternoon:

"Lookout BJ Young just eliminated the long island lightning by dropping 47 on them! 47 points!"
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2010, 06:52:04 AM »
Someone should tell BJ that if he commits to IU, he'll be dribbling east and west for 30 sec. on each possession and then hoisting up contested 3 pointers.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2010, 08:48:29 AM »
Two comments. Last year we had a good chance at signing Coleman, a top 40 player who had questionable grades. We apparently backed off and he signed with Louisville. That was a very bad result.

Do we need another point guard. Definitely, Cadougan already had an achillies heal injury. He could never get hurt again or he could be done tomorrow.

Bilsu, just wondering again who you think this ended up being a bad result for?

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2010, 08:59:56 AM »
Someone should tell BJ that if he commits to IU, he'll be dribbling east and west for 30 sec. on each possession and then hoisting up contested 3 pointers.

OMG i just puked in my mouth!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2010, 09:45:33 AM »
Bilsu, just wondering again who you think this ended up being a bad result for?

MU lost a very good player to conference rival. Would have been better to sign him than Newbill. Would have kept him from going to Louisville, which was the worst part about it.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2010, 10:00:44 AM »
MU lost a very good player to conference rival. Would have been better to sign him than Newbill. Would have kept him from going to Louisville, which was the worst part about it.

Reports from the Louisville board right now are that Coleman is unlikely to qualify.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »
Reports from the Louisville board right now are that Coleman is unlikely to qualify.
;D

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2010, 10:25:15 AM »

Exactly my point, that is why I was asking who Bilsu thought it had turned out bad for.  Looks to me like it worked out well for MU as we got Blue, Coleman doesn't appear to be qualified, which leaves Louisville a scholarship player short.  I am glad MU is not in that position.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2010, 12:34:48 PM »
Exactly my point, that is why I was asking who Bilsu thought it had turned out bad for.  Looks to me like it worked out well for MU as we got Blue, Coleman doesn't appear to be qualified, which leaves Louisville a scholarship player short.  I am glad MU is not in that position.
However, one of the reasons the 6'9" center picked Louisville over MU in the spring was that he was friends with Coleman.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »
However, one of the reasons the 6'9" center picked Louisville over MU in the spring was that he was friends with Coleman.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Young commits to Arkansas
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2010, 01:46:03 PM »
Committed to Arkansas yesterday

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Young commits to Arkansas
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »
Committed to Arkansas yesterday

Arkansas seems to be in on ALOT of top recruits.  Is John Pelhprey really a good recruiter/coach?  Something seems a little amiss about Arkansas being in on so many top kids.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »
Arkansas seems to be in on ALOT of top recruits.  Is John Pelhprey really a good recruiter/coach?  Something seems a little amiss about Arkansas being in on so many top kids.

No reason to imply impropriety until there is a real reason to do so. Arkansas has been a big program before, and there is plenty of talent in the south.

They have a very nice class coming in. In addition to Young, two more top 100 forwards. I'd love to have a class like that locked up right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2010, 03:06:52 PM »
No reason to imply impropriety until there is a real reason to do so. Arkansas has been a big program before, and there is plenty of talent in the south.

Yup...still remember them costing me a winner-take-all NCAA pool back in 1995. Had they beat UCLA in the final, I'd have won the pot, and $120 was a lot of money for me when I was making $5/hour as a part-time grocery clerk. Damn Nolan Richardson couldn't seal the deal  >:(
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »

Reserve judgment for 5 years.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2010, 04:09:32 PM »

They have a very nice class coming in. In addition to Young, two more top 100 forwards. I'd love to have a class like that locked up right now.

See your point - guess it just seems a little odd that under Pelphrey's they've gone 14-18 and 14-17, and now land 3 Top 100 kids - plus were listed on many other To 100 kids lists.  It's been practically 15 years since Arkansas was any good under Richardson.

Reserve judgment for 5 years.

How could I forget?  Thanks for the reminder.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2010, 05:24:12 PM »
See your point - guess it just seems a little odd that under Pelphrey's they've gone 14-18 and 14-17, and now land 3 Top 100 kids - plus were listed on many other To 100 kids lists.  It's been practically 15 years since Arkansas was any good under Richardson.
How could I forget?  Thanks for the reminder.

There are many programs that take a few years under coaches to get going.  I believe Crean was 15-14 his first two years until year three when we won 25 or whatever it was.  Just as there are many programs that continue winning ways with brand new coaches and then they bomb out in the 4th or 5th year.

Al McGuire

8-18 year one
14-12 year two

The way some talk here, he would be a disaster at 22-30 after two years.

This is why it's good to wait and not pass judgment so quickly.  Give a coach at least 4 years to have all his kids go through a cycle, then you have a good idea of what is going to be the real long term analysis.  Doesn't mean you can't analyze as you go, but falling in love or proclaiming a coach a disaster, a failure, or the next Al McGuire does the coach no service.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:26:44 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2010, 07:48:30 PM »
I think I read that Young has family in the Arkansas area. I believe I read that on an IU board (and yes I am an MU fan since that needs to be clarified). So that could explain why he was looking at Arkansas.

We've seen all the talent that is in the south since Buzz was hired and we are in on more Southern guys. It isn't a stretch to believe that a school that has some tradition in the SEC is able to pull in some recruits. Especially with a newer coach that might be an up and comer like Buzz. People could probably be saying the same about MU in the South. I don't think it means he's dirty if he's bringing in top recruits to a school that isn't a traditional power.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2010, 10:24:29 AM »
There are many programs that take a few years under coaches to get going.  I believe Crean was 15-14 his first two years until year three when we won 25 or whatever it was.  Just as there are many programs that continue winning ways with brand new coaches and then they bomb out in the 4th or 5th year.

Al McGuire

8-18 year one
14-12 year two

The way some talk here, he would be a disaster at 22-30 after two years.

This is why it's good to wait and not pass judgment so quickly.  Give a coach at least 4 years to have all his kids go through a cycle, then you have a good idea of what is going to be the real long term analysis.  Doesn't mean you can't analyze as you go, but falling in love or proclaiming a coach a disaster, a failure, or the next Al McGuire does the coach no service.

As is frequently the case, Chicos uses facts (McGuire's 8-18 and 14-12 records in his first 2 years) to come to totally bogus conclusions (some people here would call that a disaster, this is WHY it's good to wait and not pass judgement so quickly, etc) He does this by totally ignoring context, something that renders his "facts" meaningless or even contradictory to the conclusions he draws from them.

The context (facts omitted) is that MU was 4-24 the year before Al arrived and that George Thompson was going to be a sophmore in Al's third year (freshmen were ineligible back then). So the truth of the matter was that AL had completely turned the program around in two years and was being hailed a savior by anyone who knew anything about MU basketball. Nice try, though.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2010, 11:00:54 AM »
Thanks for the additional context Lenny - you illustrate a good point about how McGuire improved MU from a 4-24 team to 14-12 team after Year 2.  On the contrary, at Arkansas Pelphrey was hired April 9, 2007.  The 2006-2007 team went 21-14. His first team at Ark, the 2007-2008 team went 23-11, 2008-2009 team went 14-16, 2009-2010 team, 14-17.  The program seems to be slipping under Pelphrey's watch.  I guess that was my original point - what can the guy be selling that has so many recruits listing Arkansas in their Top 5?  Have they turned out any recent pro players?  Pelphrey's track record isn't very good thus far as head coach? 

While it probably isn't right to imply there are some improprities going on at Arkansas, something seems a little amiss. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2010, 11:51:48 AM »
As is frequently the case, Chicos uses facts (McGuire's 8-18 and 14-12 records in his first 2 years) to come to totally bogus conclusions (some people here would call that a disaster, this is WHY it's good to wait and not pass judgement so quickly, etc) He does this by totally ignoring context, something that renders his "facts" meaningless or even contradictory to the conclusions he draws from them.

The context (facts omitted) is that MU was 4-24 the year before Al arrived and that George Thompson was going to be a sophmore in Al's third year (freshmen were ineligible back then). So the truth of the matter was that AL had completely turned the program around in two years and was being hailed a savior by anyone who knew anything about MU basketball. Nice try, though.

Actually, you proved my point for me, thank you.   Too many people here DON'T use context which is why they make absurd proclamations....for example your latest ridiculous post on Indiana and Crean's record...where was the "context" there?   Tit caught in a ringer Lenny?  I love when you try to have it both ways, it's so cute.

LOL

feedback