[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Milwaukee Pro Am Highlight Thread  (Read 28466 times)

YoungMUFan4

• All American
The Milwaukee Pro Am Highlight Thread
« on: July 18, 2010, 04:25:13 PM »
Figured it would be easier for people to see them if it was just in one thread.

DJO and Erik Williams from Day 1
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGn3yjMuUak&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RGn3yjMuUak&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1</a>

Jamil Wilson, Jamail Jones, Junior Cadougan and Davante Gardner from Day 2
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mR7xf-RI1xI&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mR7xf-RI1xI&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1</a>

Bonus Vid: Wesley Matthews makes his debut (from Day 2)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D0v-VwL-VeM&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D0v-VwL-VeM&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1</a>

DJO, Erik Williams, Chris Otule and Reggie Smith from Day 3
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rbn2BlFjnso&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Rbn2BlFjnso&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1</a>

Bonus Vid: Trend Blackledge booms on defender
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AicGRkaa2HY&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AicGRkaa2HY&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1</a>

Matthews, Otule, Smith and Blackledge from Day 4
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3fj_QAxSdA&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D3fj_QAxSdA&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1</a>

Various Clips of Buycks, Fulce, Jones, Otule, Butler and Blue
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rp8Y_6RL97M&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rp8Y_6RL97M&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1</a>
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:54:30 AM by YoungMUFan4 »

Blackhat

• All American
Re: The Milwaukee Pro Am Highlight Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 06:38:37 PM »
Thanks for putting these together Youngmufan. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 07:20:04 PM »
If you watch the Day 3 video (last one in this group) of DJO - there is a possesion where Number 24 blocks his shot, DJO gets it back, goes to the basket against 2 guys, with 24 trailing the play..24 goes to block shot again from behind, and DJO lets it go from an odd release point..ball rolls around rim..goes in and 24 just does a pirouette/oh man..damn kind of reaction - like what do I have to do stop this guy.

Thanks YoungMU for putting these up - great stuff.  (Love Reggie Smith's speed/explosiveness)
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
24 is Trend Blackledge

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:34:28 PM »
A few things stood out for me.

-Cadougan looked like he's in excellent shape. Really quick and assertive. Hopefully his jumper continues to develop to keep the defense honest.

-Wilson looks he's gotten a good bit stronger since HS. He really covers a lot of ground with one dribble. Jumper looked good as well.

-Didn't think Gardner looked overweight at all. He seemed to have a habit of contorting his body when going up with the ball. Would love to see that turn into a more vertical move with some time with Todd.

Thanks for putting these up! I should be there hopefully Friday, and definitely Saturday. Looking forward to seeing these guys in person.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:05:12 AM »
Alex, you are the man! :)

Couldn't stop grinning from video 1 to video 4!
SS Marquette

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 08:30:15 AM »
Reggie Smith looks like he is in fast forward on the highlights.  Super quick.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »
I was able to go and watch the games on Friday night, and it was a lot of fun.  Wes showed up, which was a nice surprise, and it was fun to get a look at all the new guys. 

From what I saw, Gardner didn't look fat, and he was getting up and down pretty well.  He even drove one in from the arc and layed it in late in the 4th quarter.  Wilson was actually a bit bigger than I thought, and he got up very high for a dunk-putback late in his game.  Vander is incredibly quick and has a pretty nice shot.  Unfortunately, I didn't really get to see Jamail Jones, and Reggie Smith didn't play.

Of the guys we know about, DJO was just doing whatever he wanted, scoring from everywhere on the floor.  Erik Williams was on DJO's team, and I thought he played well too.  Jimmy didn't play, which ended up being the most fun part of the evening, because he was half coaching his team, half ripping on Frozena the whole time.  (Every time Rob touches the ball, its like a point for our team!  I love you Rob.)  Jimmy is quite a character, and with Reggie and Jamil sitting right next to him after their game, it looks like he'll be a good team leader this year. 

If you have the chance to go to one of these, you definitely should.  Its very interesting to watch these guys in a smaller venue where you can really see how they interact.  Plus, its fun watching some of the old players: I was able to see Wes knock down turnarounds again, and watch Ous jack some threes at the behest of Jimmy. 

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 10:32:11 AM »
Awesome thanks for the videos, great job.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 12:30:25 PM »
YoungMUFan making a strong case for "Scooper of the Year"
The "average fan" is an idiot.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 12:48:56 AM »
My impressions from these videos:

--Cadougan is starting to look like the player we were all hoping for when he signed  for us. Looks quick, and seems to have good finishing ability for someone who is billed as a pass-first pg. I agree with another poster who said his shot reminds him of Dominic James. At times he looks to be thinking about the form of his shot as he is shooting, something DJ did a lot. Hopefully he can avoid that.

--Reggie Smith also reminds me of DJ. He has that explosiveness, although he seems to be at least 2 inches taller than DJ.

--Erik Williams looks a ways away from being a skilled offensive player. He has an impressive frame though. I expect him to be a really nice player by his junior year. When you think about it though, when can he expect to start? Senior year at best, I'd say, with all the talented players on our roster who play similar positions.

--Otule is the big mystery to me. From the highlight videos, it certainly looks like theres something there. Reports that his hands are weak trouble me, however. I expect him to contribute (and improve greatly) this year, since he has size that we simply don't have anywhere else. We could actually have a size advantage at center in some games! Crazy, I know...

--Gardner looks in better condition than I expected. He doesn't seem like a true center, but he could be a mismatch on many as a PF. Regarding the way he contorts his body as he finishes, I actually see that as a positive. It is a way to make up for his lack of vertical leap. He sticks his body in to the defender, which allows him to use his very long arms and excellent hands to finish away from the defender's arms, even though he isn't above them. 100% agree that he needs to be more vertical, but he has a natural feel for finishing. And that NBA 3 was impressive. He looks about 6'8 to me, maybe a tiny bit less. Thats big enough though.

--Jamil Wilson has NBA written all over him. He is strong, explosive, has a great pull up game, has good range and form on his shot, and appears to be every bit of 6'7. It will be tough waiting to watch him play.

--Jamail Jones has beautiful form on his jumpshot.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 12:55:32 AM »
Let's all keep in mind a couple things.  1) These are highlight videos.  It shows the player's best plays, so naturally they're going to look good.  2) This is a summer league that is pretty loose and there isn't much emphasis on defense.  Again, these players can look great, but the players they are playing against are nowhere near Big East caliber.  To go along with that, the Marquette players are much taller than almost any player they are matching up against in this league, which won't always be the case in the Big East.

I just don't want anybody looking TOO into what's happening at he Pro-Am and basing expectations off of some highlight films from it.  This is as good as a pickup game on the playground.  While it is nice to watch them play and get SOME idea as to what they can bring to the table, it is going to be very different seeing how the team can gel and play together as a team with structure involved and opposing players who are just as big and athletically talented as our players are.  We shall see, but it sure should be fun.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 01:57:13 AM »
Let's all keep in mind a couple things.  1) These are highlight videos.  It shows the player's best plays, so naturally they're going to look good.  2) This is a summer league that is pretty loose and there isn't much emphasis on defense.  Again, these players can look great, but the players they are playing against are nowhere near Big East caliber.  To go along with that, the Marquette players are much taller than almost any player they are matching up against in this league, which won't always be the case in the Big East.

I just don't want anybody looking TOO into what's happening at he Pro-Am and basing expectations off of some highlight films from it.  This is as good as a pickup game on the playground.  While it is nice to watch them play and get SOME idea as to what they can bring to the table, it is going to be very different seeing how the team can gel and play together as a team with structure involved and opposing players who are just as big and athletically talented as our players are.  We shall see, but it sure should be fun.

you mean DJO isn't going to be scoring 40 to 50 points per game in Big East competition?  Damn!  ;)

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 08:35:39 AM »
One thing that a few people have mentioned is that Gardner is more of 4.  I totally disagree.  He will get all his minutes at the 5.  He will not have quick enough feet to guard 4's in the big East.  He may give up a few Inchs to some of the 5's (we always do) but he should be strong enough by his Soph year to hold good postion D.  Also in regard to gettting his body on people to create some space, he will also get alot of foul's and was a good FT shooter in high school.  I think one game they mentioned 15-17.  I also think the EW is going to grow into a face up 4 man.  With Butler, Jones, Wilson at the 3 the next couple of years, I just don't see him getting many minutes at the 3. 

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 08:56:17 AM »
I can't stop replaying the J. Wilson highlights.  He looks big, smooth and super talented.  I know these are just highlight videos, but call me impressed. 

I know he played last year for the ducks, but seemed to have a very average freshman year looking at his stats.  What gives?  Freshman might be the operative word I guess.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 09:08:18 AM »
I can't stop replaying the J. Wilson highlights.  He looks big, smooth and super talented.  I know these are just highlight videos, but call me impressed. 

I know he played last year for the ducks, but seemed to have a very average freshman year looking at his stats.  What gives?  Freshman might be the operative word I guess.

Is he mentally strong during games (have a diener killer instinct/heart, etc.)?? Can he play/does he want to play intense, team defense?

Those are all factors that we can't really determine during this pro-am and effects how much you play in DI basketball. 

Plus he was a freshman away from home for the first time. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 09:21:16 AM »
Hopefully Wilson will have a Wes Johnson impact as a transfer.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 09:39:10 AM »
you mean DJO isn't going to be scoring 40 to 50 points per game in Big East competition?  Damn!  ;)
That is because Buzz will not let him shoot that much.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 10:21:21 AM »
Davante can dribble pretty well for such a huge guy, and has a good stroke from mid range. Jamil just looks amazing

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 10:24:36 AM »
Davante can dribble pretty well for such a huge guy, and has a good stroke from mid range. Jamil just looks amazing

I'm glad to have Wilson in the fold.  But one things still mystifies me...why did he not play the last 6 games?  Was he injured?  Just curious. Not being critical.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 10:31:13 AM »
I'm sure the fact that he wanted to transfer was well known by that point. He could have thrown in the towel for the year or his coach who was about to be fired threw in the towel.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 10:37:52 AM »
Too bad we have to wait a whole season before we can see him in action...but if he stays on track for a whole year of development...man, that'll be AWESOME!  We haven't heard any definite NO yet from his appeal, have we?  I'm not optimistic about it, but I mean...until there's a straight up NO, then mayyybe he'll be able to suit up...

Gardner is going to be awesome...maybe not so much this year...but I think he could have Dwight Burke-on-a-good-day-productivity consistently midway through his sophomore year...obviously their games were different, but I think he will contribute a lot...maybe not this year, but definitely down the road.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 10:39:42 AM »
How many years of eligibility will Jamil Wilson have after sitting out a year?  Will his year sitting out count towards his 4 years?

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 10:44:39 AM »
How many years of eligibility will Jamil Wilson have after sitting out a year?  Will his year sitting out count towards his 4 years?

After sitting out 2010-2011, Jamil Wilson will have 3 years of Eligibility beginning in the fall of 2011

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 12:14:21 PM »
One thing that a few people have mentioned is that Gardner is more of 4.  I totally disagree.  He will get all his minutes at the 5.  He will not have quick enough feet to guard 4's in the big East.  He may give up a few Inchs to some of the 5's (we always do) but he should be strong enough by his Soph year to hold good postion D.  Also in regard to gettting his body on people to create some space, he will also get alot of foul's and was a good FT shooter in high school.  I think one game they mentioned 15-17.  I also think the EW is going to grow into a face up 4 man.  With Butler, Jones, Wilson at the 3 the next couple of years, I just don't see him getting many minutes at the 3. 

I think that gardner could play either