'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Day 1 at the Pro Am  (Read 30364 times)

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Day 1 at the Pro Am
« on: July 10, 2010, 11:13:33 AM »
Got here for the second round of games. I'm watching the Ryko- Team 2 game. Competition is pretty weak for Jimmy and he probably has 14 half way thru the second quarter. Barro could win them the tourney as he compliment JB well. Vanderstruggling so far about 1 for 6 from the perimeter. The athleticism is obviously there but he really has to tighten up his game. I know ts summer league but the ball security differtial between him and JB is glaring. Has been very uncomfortable in traffic even with the short guards of team 2. To be fair tey are playing a two three zone and really taking away his driving lanes. Going to watch the second Hal of the other game to see Jamail. And Jamil
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: Day 1 at the Pro Am
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:15:10 AM »
DJO Tweeted:

"36pts 11 boards and the Win first pro-am game in Milwaukee"

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
Didn't get to see him play but Gardner looks good. He is big as an Ox but not overweight. Solid 6'9 maybe 275. Doesn't look like he's light on his feet but I don't know he can ever change that. Definitely looks like he's lost some serious weight tho since those YouTube videos everyone was concerned about

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »
Jones has the NBA body. Looks tired since his team is playing withou any subs, but he's 6'6 with the frame to match

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:31:10 AM »
Buycks is in his element with this uptempo playground style. Baird had 60 at half

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 11:41:56 AM »
Vander has nice rotation on his shot but seems to short arm it and ends up flat. JB still gets to the line seemingly everytime down the floor

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »
Love these updates. Keep 'em coming. and thanks!!

in_lazar_we_trust

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 11:48:32 AM »
Thanks for the updates wegz. how come you didnt tell me you were going last night? I would have gone to bed earlier. Instead I wake up to half eaten marquette gyros next to my bed. Im blaming you...

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »
Highlight of the morning: Vander alley oop to JB who carries a guy on his back gets fouled and finishes the drunk. JB still looks lanky but that took some serious strength

romey

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »
That's great to hear about Jimmy.  One weakness in his game last season (although it caused debate among us bloggers) was his ability/inability to finish strong.  Love the updates.  Sweatin' my b@lls off down here in ATL wishin' I could be there in person to see these games.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 12:12:21 PM »
keep it up (the updates)!!!
SS Marquette

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »
Ryko held on and beat their obviously less skilled opponent. Baird blew out north Shore but it was pretty unfair with the run and gunstyle and no subs for North Shore.

Jones - absolutely beautiful three point shot. Hit two i saw with a guy right on top of him and a third with a guy running at him. Underatanably tired but really didn't see him in transition at all. Personal prediction as a perfect three for MU and probably the 7th man to start the season.

Blue - this kid is such a tease. You can see an all Big east player lurking somewhere insde him, but just not there yet. Was stunned by his crossover and ball handling. He will break some ankles. Jump shot wasn't there tidy don't know if it was just a bad day or a sign of something bigger. Strong body for a freshman but he needs to learn to seek out the contact rather than shy away ala JB. All in all I think Buzz can polish him into his full potential. Sixth man right now IMHO

JB - better than lazar this year? Dwarfed the inferior opponents like he should have. Didn't keep track but from eye balling it I say he easily had 35 points. Hit at least one three ball. Worked well against an all be it short zone d

Buycks - he did his thing hitting a few jumpers and trash talking. Took a few bad floaters and in traffic shots but that to be expected. Prolly starts at the beginning of the year. I'll be happy with 8 a game and a decrease in his TOs

Fulce - eh... Missed a big drunk. Rebounded. Starting 5 I think but then again I didn't have a chance to see Chris.

This team is ungodly deep. Trying to speculate as to the lineup is really tough bc of the talent level. I didn't get to see the pgs but if caduogan can be the top tier signing we hoped for then this team is very complete.

My lineup guess (that's all I can call it)

Junior
DJO
Buycks
Butler
Fulce

6 vander
7 jones
8 otule
9 Williams

with hopefully smith an Gardner getting some minutes in as well  

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 12:18:09 PM »
Hottest Kicks of the Pro-Am Award:
1. Dwight Buycks (great grey and blue combo)
2. DJO

Little Tidbits/Impressions off some pick up b-ball:

*Reggie Smith is quick.   Won't have to worry about a pg burning us this year if Cadougan gets in a bad matchup cause he's a turbo pack.  Shot was clicking, has the tools to be really good.   Needs to learn more of the game and how to control it, etc.

*Beautiful Reggie Smith, Chris Otule give and go monstrous dunk by Otule.  Very impressive.  Otule still has trouble running long stretches if the game is up and down.   Is more aggressive rebounding and has a better touch around the rim.

* E Will looked more put together and had a dynamite put back dunk, his stroke looked pretty good.   He looked more comfortable out there.

*Jamail Jones- Pro body, drifts too much and has kind of a passive offensive game right now...has all the tools though.

*Davante Gardner- Nice touch, but needs to meet one Mr. Todd Smith asap.  Needs to improve his conditioning so he doesn't get Mbao'd.  

rico49

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »
My son and I were there for first games and part of second games.  Players that stood out were:

Reggie Smith:  he is a high-speed true point offensive machine, inside and out;  he completely controlled the game speed for both teams, and will definitely push for minutes;  looks real good at the line and appears fearless in the lane.

DJO:  a man playing with boys;  appeared super quick while under control scores, plays hard , and defends...reminds me od another MU 2 guard playing in the GAME.

Chris Otule:  Wow!!  Aggressive D, improved footwork, agile and active.  Can't believe hes the same guy, appears much more confident and aggressive.  With Gardner's inside bulk at back-up, this will be a promising few years inside for MU.  IMO, played better than any of the bigs there today.

Joe Fulce:  all over the court, crashing the boards, hitting his shots an playing tough D...he's serious about this year.

Junior Cadougan:  solid, quick, and aggressive with good D; great to have 2 bonafide point guards on this team!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 12:23:58 PM »
Awesome stuff, thanks!
No Finish Line

wesmat23

• Starter
  • Veezy V G.T.S.T
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 12:27:43 PM »
stone cold, can you post some pics of the kicks?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »
SSSSShhhhhhh! Keep it down about this team.

We want to surprise people!!! ;)

anyone know if Ustreaming is NOT allowed?
SS Marquette

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »
stone cold, can you post some pics of the kicks?

I'm not there anymore or I would....they were pretty hot.    Maybe if someone's still there they can on their phone or I'll get a pic next time if I see them... DJO's were pretty hot too.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 01:10:46 PM »
Here are a few of my takes on the play today:

1)  The best player by far was DJO, man amongst boys.  His shot was on, seemed quicker.
     The boy is chiseled.  Star this year.

2)  Jimmy Butler, looked bigger, more confident, pro potential, played to much inside for the
     next level.  Looked very confident.

3)  Dwight Bucyks, coming on strong, shot the ball well, quick as a cat.  Maturing as a player,
     will get big minutes next year

4)  Joe Fulce, looks like he is the player Buzz recruited, very active, quick to the ball, you can
     tell a senior vs. a freshman.  Would not be surprised if Jimmy and Joe are the forwards with
     DJO, Otule and by mid-season Vander at the point.

5)  Vander is not offensively ready yet, his form needs improvement, long, athletic, will fit perfect
     with this team if he wants to play D and pass to the 2 stars.

6)  Junior you can see is a playmaker but not sure if he will be the starting point, not as gifted athleticly
     as the other 5 ahead of him.  Can go to the hoop like Butch Lee.

7)  Erik Williams athleticly is gifted, great bounce, needs to play, but not at center, power forward, the
     kid is a load.  Needs confidence, needs to play.  Will surprise.

8)  Devante Gardner, big body, will be a nice back-up, did not seem to hang with the other players yet,
     seemed a little distant,  long way away.  I do not see him even as a back-up this year.  Hope I am wrong.
     Did not look fat.

9)  Jamil Jones, can shot, decent body, will do a lot of clapping this year, has potential to be a star but not
     with the group in front of him.  Will hit some 3's.

10) Did not see Otule or Smith but it sounds they could help, add Crowder and you have at least 10
     solid players.  

Buzz has so much talent overall, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  Deeper than ever.  Glad
they will only have 12 scholarship players, as the 13th would never get off the bench.

I hope the following here he only signs 2 kid, maybe take another transfer.  Next year they are already 10
deep.  Could use 1 kid with a little height, 6'8" or so forward.  Add Dawson, enough said.

Playground environment these kids are fun to watch,  maybe better than the season.  This teams needs
to get out and run, they have the tools to do that!

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 01:24:47 PM »
Thought i would share some observations on Day 1.

I was more focused on the unknown commodities and came away very impressed by Otule and JC.

JC was very much in control, without a doubt he is the starting point guard. He has great vision and quickness that allowed him to setup his teammates. He has got the best handles on the team and i think he should have a great year. He also has a good pull up mid range jumper that should be effective for him.

Otule has come a long way which has been documented. I overheard many of the players talking about only wanting to watch Chris and while they were at his game wanted him to touch the ball every time down the court. Much more fluid on the offensive end and also had a couple nice blocks and probably the best dunk i saw all day.

EWill surprised me a little, just oozes athleticism had two very nice blocks and a tip dunk off a missed 3 by DJO. What excited me the most was his jump shot he had very good form and rotation on it

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 01:28:36 PM »
I know he is not on campus, but Jae Crowder will probably be starting or the first sub for JB or Fulce early on. JC college player of the year will get his minutes.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
Thanks all for the update.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 01:43:45 PM »
Thanks all for the update.

Ditto.  Dang I wished I was in Milwaukee this weekend to watch this!

Secret of the Ouse

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »
Love the updates boys, keep them coming during this tourney.  Always nice to get a MUBB fix in the summer.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 02:04:17 PM »
Talk to "Homer" at the Pro-Am. He is worried about the PG spot. He said looked for Buycks to play at the PG spot.

Otule, looked strong and powerfull.

DJO, looked a bit faster and better handle of the ball.

Jimmy was Jimmy!!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton