'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Crean's gotta go  (Read 13098 times)

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
Crean's gotta go
« on: February 26, 2007, 04:14:38 PM »
Let me start off by saying I have attended Marquette home games since I was 5 and have been a Fanatic for just as long.

I was down in ND for the game and after that hot start it just seemed that the guys relaxed and then stopped trying and laid back.  The boys seem to be playing more and more for personal gratification as opposed to team success.  When people are wide open at the three spot and Jerel or Dom drive to three defenders and put up a dud instead of kicking out - you know they have stopped looking for each other and have turned toward personal success

This can only be attributed to one man-Tom Crean

This team, much like every Tom Crean team (excluding Dwyane's year), fell apart in February and I do not know if they can pull it together, again

Every year Tom Crean's teams (excluding Dwyane’s year) fumble away winnable games (51-39 St. Louis loss) or get blown out (99-52 Louisville) and undoubtedly stink it up in Conference Tournaments (TCU, UAB, a Georgetown team we beat less than a week earlier) And follow it up with an even worse tournament showing (Tulsa and Alabama in the NCAA's) (Side note: Do not forget Western Michigan in NIT play) While not winning an NCAA game since D-wade's year.  Let us not forget fellow fanatics that TC has yet to bring a productive big-man to the university(barring the great Robert Jackson) and next year will be the same scenario.

He has no offense and even worse bench presence.  He may be the best PR coach in America but he is about the bottom of the barrel in X's and O's.  Just glad to say he's here to stay 10 more years - so get comfortable with mediocre basketball when it counts.

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: Crean's gotta go
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:19:44 PM »
Let me start off by saying I have attended Marquette home games since I was 5 and have been a Fanatic for just as long.

I was down in ND for the game and after that hot start it just seemed that the guys relaxed and then stopped trying and laid back.  The boys seem to be playing more and more for personal gratification as opposed to team success.  When people are wide open at the three spot and Jerel or Dom drive to three defenders and put up a dud instead of kicking out - you know they have stopped looking for each other and have turned toward personal success

This team, much like every Tom Crean team (excluding Dwyane's year), fell apart in February and I do not know if they can pull it together, again

Every year Tom Crean's teams (excluding Dwyane’s year) fumble away winnable games (51-39 St. Louis loss) or get blown out (99-52 Louisville) and undoubtedly stink it up in Conference Tournaments (TCU, UAB, a Georgetown team we beat less than a week earlier) And follow it up with an even worse tournament showing (Tulsa and Alabama in the NCAA's) (Side note: Do not forget Western Michigan in NIT play) While not winning an NCAA game since D-wade's year.  Let us not forget fellow fanatics that TC has yet to bring a productive big-man to the university(barring the great Robert Jackson) and next year will be the same scenario.

He has no offense and even worse bench presence.  He may be the best PR coach in America but he is about the bottom of the barrel in X's and O's.  Just glad to say he's here to stay 10 more years - so get comfortable with mediocre basketball when it counts.

the problem with getting rid of someone is that it's only a good idea if there is someone better to bring in.  he wins a lot of games for a bottom of the barrel coach. Perhaps attending that many games has made you lose touch with reality, that being we were a mid major school just 10 years ago.  Now no one wants to play us.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 04:20:04 PM »
Right....Marquette only has a top 25 team at the beginning of March.  Clearly Tom Crean is to blame - lets get rid of him.

Some people are ridiculous.  Listen, Marquette's bball team isn't without *some* problems, but there's a few here (and I *really* think it's a minority) that just don't get that we're a pretty good team.  Not awesome, but pretty good.

Anybody that wants to fire Crean after the past two years - well, I just won't even try to reason with you, because you're obviously an unreasonable person.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 04:20:25 PM »
Based on this foolish post, this could be our year!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 04:21:44 PM »
yeah, maybe we should just totally sell out and bring in sleazeballs like Pitino or Huggy or Calipari.

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 04:26:18 PM »
You are an idiot if you think Crean should be fired. A huge idiot.

Crean is not going anywhere, nor should he. He is a good coach. I sometimes question his big man (or lack thereof) substitution, but overall he is good.

I am as frustrated as anyone with regards to the last few weeks, but just hang on. The team is young, and the season is FAR from over.

If we lose our next three (Pitt, 1 conference game, 1 round of the tourny) then let the bitching continue.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »
For real?

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Horsecrap.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 04:41:38 PM »
dumbest.

post.

ever.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 04:43:48 PM »
Wow, we all seem to have issues with Crean now and then, but to say Crean has to go is ridiculous. Look at where the program is now compared to the end of the Deane era. Can Crean improve in some areas, certainly, but no way do I want to see Crean roaming any other sideline.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 04:46:02 PM »
You must be 9 then.  Because if you have been attending games since you were 5 and these are the worst years you can remember, I am guessing you are 9.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:48:28 PM by MUEng92 »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 04:47:15 PM »
think I'm done.. wait.. nope.. still laughing.

Hmm.. think that mighta just woken me up for the home stretch today - thanks!!  :D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 04:48:24 PM »
I think Warrior55 is Gary Woeffley.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 04:53:14 PM »

I don't agree that kind of behavior can only be attributed to Crean. I believe there is a chemistry problem on this team and you can't fault Crean for that. He may add fuel to it at times, but these things happen. The off season may be revealing in this regard.

By the way, I do not agree that Crean "must go." But he was completely out of control on Saturday. I'm just wondering if it's possible to defend your players without throwing a temper tantrum.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:59:29 PM by PuertoRicanNightmare »

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 05:10:29 PM »
I don't think there any chemistry issues on this team. Our guys seem to genuinely like each other. Have you ever seen a more rah-rah bench than ours?

Our struggles are pretty simple to understand:
1) We sometimes struggle to shoot the ball well.
2) We do not have a tremendous amount of size and talent in our front line.
3) Our team is composed largely of underclassmen who are still learning what it takes to succeed on a consistent basis in D1 basketball.

beantownmu

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 05:27:16 PM »
- As a sophomore at the university, I certainly can question some things about Crean.  However, who else would we hire???  Yes Crean struggles with x's and o's but is anybody better in the living room than Crean.  Milwaukee is not exactly South Beach might I remind you.  I agree that Crean doesn't have much of an offense and he seems to really struggle to have answers for the 2-3 zone.  However, he averages 20 wins a season, that's impressive.  There's over 300 teams in D1 basketball, Crean is in the top 15% of coaches if not top 10%.  However, if a Marquette team does not reach the sweet 16 in the next 3 or 4 years, fine you could gripe.  But enjoy this, your basketball team currently has 20+ wins and is headed to the big dance.

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »

the problem with getting rid of someone is that it's only a good idea if there is someone better to bring in.  he wins a lot of games for a bottom of the barrel coach. Perhaps attending that many games has made you lose touch with reality, that being we were a mid major school just 10 years ago.  Now no one wants to play us.

What if Tony Bennett was available?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 05:56:42 PM »
There's 10 seconds of my life I'll never get back.  Worst. Post. Ever.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 06:00:04 PM »
Talk to your doctor.  He may want to adjust your dosage.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 06:09:07 PM »
Is Bob Dukiet available?

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 06:10:57 PM »

What if Tony Bennett was available?

You think we struggle on offense now...?  ;)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 07:24:08 PM »
I saw the subject line, and I'm thinking:

1.  Crean's gotta go --- see some big junior in high school that no one else is recruiting, or

2.  Crean's gotta go --- deep into the Big East tourney to get a nice seed, or

3.  Crean's gotta go --- watch the film of his explosion during the ND game, or

4.  Crean's gotta go --- out of his way to thank the many, many fans that travelled this past weekend to ND,

but I read "Gotta go" as in "get rid of" and I'm floored.  I will confess and admit that I was one of those that was upset when we fired Deane, because I thought he was a pretty good game coach.  (Keep in mind that I was an undergrad when we won the championship, and watched the program tank, and then slowly regain some respectability with KO and crazy Mike Deane.)   But Crean has put this program back into what can arguably be considered elite status.

Often we compare him to Bo Ryan, who is (grudgingly) a very good coach.  Bo has way more experience than TC, but even he blew it yesterday with an over coached time out at games end.  Be critical of his recruiting style, game plan, game strategy, etc., but get rid of him?  As others have correctly wondered -- for whom?
Ludum habemus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 07:31:08 PM »
Warrior1955

It's a great country isn't?  And to think, the full moon doesn't even kick in until March 2nd

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:48:55 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 07:38:13 PM »
First of all you may have been going to games for the past 15 years, but not watching them. I'd  gladly take the direction we are going in over the previous 15 plus years. And if we have no offense and Crean can't coach, how do we consistently win over 20 games a year? Remember, this is his first job as  a head coach, he's young and will only get better. Just this season, go back to Providence and Syracuse, those were horribly played and coached games, nobody thought we'd bounce back. But with good play and good game plans we have.  Oh and can I have $100, cause that's how much I charge for people wasting 10 seconds of my time.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 07:52:36 PM »
what a silly thread.  still, i am glad the moderators are letting it continue  ;D

feedback