Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It Took Until About Day 821,,,  (Read 11944 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
It Took Until About Day 821,,,
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:33:20 AM »
for us to become completely polarized on Buzz. Wow, much early than with the departed. Time will tell which camp's opinion rings true. If Williams produces on the court, as all coaches ultimately are judged by performance, he'll be idolized. If, on the other hand, the program blows both on the court and off, adios MF'er and the horse you rode in on. Such is the behavior of we, the fans.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: It Took Until About Day 821,,,
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:17:11 AM »
for us to become completely polarized on Buzz. Wow, much early than with the departed. Time will tell which camp's opinion rings true. If Williams produces on the court, as all coaches ultimately are judged by performance, he'll be idolized. If, on the other hand, the program blows both on the court and off, adios MF'er and the horse you rode in on. Such is the behavior of we, the fans.
  Don't you think you are overstating the situation? 

Only the lunatic fringe have become completely polarized on Buzz.  IMO, the vast majority of MU fans have adopted a wait and see approach and have given the benefit of the doubt (and there are plenty of doubts to go around) to Buzz and the program.  Whe the facts are known most of us will come to our own conclusions. Until then, it is silly to be critical of Buzz and the program since we really don't know if he/MU did anything to be critical of and criticism of either party is mere conjecture.  Why don't we all give this subject and the multiple threads it has spun off, a rest.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:38:10 AM »
Hey, I'm in Buzz's corner. But, can we all agree, at the very least he's exercised poor judgment on several occasions? He's young and so I expect he'll learn from these experiences.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:55:08 AM »
I wish that he had never lost his cool with Mac, and that he had recognized earlier that Roseboro was not BE ready.  Not nearly enough for me to become completely polarized or even more than slightly annoyed with Buzz or the program.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 07:38:19 AM »
I wish that he had never lost his cool with Mac, and that he had recognized earlier that Roseboro was not BE ready.  Not nearly enough for me to become completely polarized or even more than slightly annoyed with Buzz or the program.

Would you feel the same way if we had finished 9th in the BEast last year and went to the NIT?

Should it matter?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 07:41:16 AM »
Hey, I'm in Buzz's corner. But, can we all agree, at the very least he's exercised poor judgment on several occasions? He's young and so I expect he'll learn from these experiences.

I agree. You say Buzz is wrong on a situation and you come across as a Buzz hater on this board. I find Buzz as an above average coach/recruiter and human being. That said, I will never completely trust a NCAA D-1 coach.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:43:57 AM »
for us to become completely polarized on Buzz.

If by 'us' you mean the nerds on boards like this one, then I agree. If you mentioned DJ Newbill in a crowded room of normal MU fans, the majority of them wouldn't know what you are talking about (even though the story was on oversigning.com.).

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 07:45:05 AM »
Would you feel the same way if we had finished 9th in the BEast last year and went to the NIT?

Should it matter?
 At least if we finished 9th in the BE and went to the NIT I'd actually have something over which to be upset.    

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 07:46:12 AM »
  Don't you think you are overstating the situation? 

Only the lunatic fringe have become completely polarized on Buzz.  IMO, the vast majority of MU fans have adopted a wait and see approach and have given the benefit of the doubt (and there are plenty of doubts to go around) to Buzz and the program.  Whe the facts are known most of us will come to our own conclusions. Until then, it is silly to be critical of Buzz and the program since we really don't know if he/MU did anything to be critical of and criticism of either party is mere conjecture.  Why don't we all give this subject and the multiple threads it has spun off, a rest.

This is a huge overstatement of the situation. The only place i hear anything about the newbill situation is on this board or from obscure blogs posted on this board. I don't hear the outrage from the local media or sports talk shows that I hear from Chicos and others. Everything I have heard has been positive about Wilson coming in. The fact of the matter is the comments on this board represent a small portion of the fan base.

I think we have beaten this dead horse enough. We all get that chicos and others are outraged. I am sure Chicos got a hard on when he could find something that he could rail on Buzz for. I am sure he will come back and say something like, I like Buzz, but we need to give it 3 to 5 years why are you drinking the kool aid, blah blah blah.  Why don't you give it 3 to 5 years when Buzz does something you feel isn't right. Why do we get inundated with outraged posts and blogs when you want to criticize but when he is a great representative of the University for 2 years all we get is, lets give it "3 to 5 years"

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 07:49:33 AM »
Why, hairyworthen? Because Chicos is a hypocritical loser that thinks the world revolves around everything he says, and he'll post anything to create drama.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 08:00:35 AM »
 At least if we finished 9th in the BE and went to the NIT I'd actually have something over which to be upset.    

Well said.

I mean, for pete's sake, people really still have their panties in a bunch over an odd radio exchange from some 18 months ago? An odd radio exchange for which Buzz very publicly apoligized ... an apology likely heard by far more people than the initial exchange? A radio exchange that the so-called victim of which has said is not, a never was, a big deal or cause for offense?

Let's face it, there's a small segment here of those who initially opposed Buzz's hiring who now, two years later, continue to harp on every error or perceived fault in an effort to justify their initial opposition.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 08:00:52 AM »
The only people that care are on this board. No other MU fans or college fans care at all. Nothing is polarizing about this, and I'm sure the people in the athletic department are wondering what all the hubbub is about. He's been telling this to us for months, the DJ camp obviously knew it was possible, failure to recognize that is just dumb. If it weren't for 2 people on this board, there would be 1 thread on the matter, IWB's statement would come out, and that would be that.

Can't somebody make a Vander Blue FIBA mixtape or something to start a new topic?

Now if someone can tell me why Jae isn't in the Milwaukee ProAm or why we haven't heard anything about him in a while, that would be interesting.

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 08:31:57 AM »
Can't somebody make a Vander Blue FIBA mixtape or something to start a new topic?

Now if someone can tell me why Jae isn't in the Milwaukee ProAm or why we haven't heard anything about him in a while, that would be interesting.

+12

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »

+1.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 08:40:14 AM »
I do not believe we are polarized about Buzz.  I take that comment to mean some of us dislike Buzz, or perhaps wish he wasn't our coach. -- A statement I do not believe in the least.

I think there's a lot of teeth gnashing about a handful of recruiting decisions and/or off-court issues that people are critical of.   I deem most of them legit questions, where you can fall on one side or the other "if you were the coach, calling the shots."

That's not polarization.  -- Honestly, the camps are probably (not completely) the same as they were for TC, as those who recognize what TC brought to MU often see double-standards being applied to Buzz.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »
I am still a believer in Buzz and as long as he produces on the court and is not breaking any rules, I will continue to support him.  That being said, I do not like the fact that our roster seems to be in constantly in flux and every few months or so we have another story about a player that "has decided to part ways with MU...we wish him the best of luck in his future pursuits, blah, blah, blah."  Unfortunately high major basketball is a cutthroat business and this is part of it.

Now let's see some YouTube clips of Jamil Wilson dunking on people on move on.  I'm already getting tired of watching baseball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »

I'm in Buzz's corner as well, he just made a bad mistake here.  I certainly don't want him fired but I'd like someone at MU to say this crosses the line.

We seem to have made a shift in the last few years with a Go For Broke mentality and are doing some things we  did not do in the past. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 09:36:38 AM »
I am still in Buzz's corner. I just wish he would have accepted a verbal commitment from Newbill instead of having him sign an NLI. The NLI signing part is what I do not understand. Why sign a player you are going to actively over recruit. That part makes no sense to me.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 09:37:32 AM »
Besides that in another 821 days this will all be forgotten about.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 09:39:02 AM »
Besides that in another 821 days this will all be forgotten about.

Unless it happens again.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 09:47:35 AM »

Yeah - Considering the talent on the roster now - I'm pretty sure our program won't blow on the court.  There has never been more talent assembled at MU than there is currently and particularily for the 2011-2012 season.  So, I'm quite confident we won't be saying adios MF'er and the horse you rode in on.  What kind of statement is that anyway?  My money is that Buzz will be idolized - and adios to the MF'ers and the horse they rode in on who have been ultra critical of Buzz. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »
I am still in Buzz's corner. I just wish he would have accepted a verbal commitment from Newbill instead of having him sign an NLI. The NLI signing part is what I do not understand. Why sign a player you are going to actively over recruit. That part makes no sense to me.

This is a great point.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 10:28:40 AM »

Who knows maybe the kid was so excited about the possibility that he was adamnant about signing and Buzz relented with the caveat that they may find someone else. Sometimes when you try and do someone a favor it comes back to bite you in the ars. I am not saying that is what happened but maybe a possibility. Still Buzzes fault. I agree a verbal would have been better.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 10:38:05 AM »
This has become ridiculous.  People claim to know the real story or have sources blah blah blah....by all accounts Buzz didn't break any rules and, according to some, MU was open with Newbill on what the priorities of the team were in terms of position players, priorities, etc. but he decided to sign with MU anyway.  Should Buzz have had him stick to a verbal rather than sign a LOI?  Probably.  Lesson learned.  Does it suck for DJ?  Yes it does.  Choose to believe whichever version you want....it's not going to change that we just inherited a consensus top 50/100 player.

What would people say if they found out Wilson wanted to transfer here and MU simply said "no thanks?"  I'm guessing a lot of the people trying to take the high road by criticizing Buzz would also be the ones complaining that we blew an opportunity with Wilson and instead added to our logjam of guards/wings.  Which one is it?

In two years when MU is ranked 9th in the country and playing for a 3 seed I'm guessing a lot of the complainers will be pretty pleased about the state of the program.  We've come a long way from accepting a last minute, out-of-nowhere recruit to fill out a class (i.e. Mbao).

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »
Unless it happens again.

Love the optimism.