* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:24:20 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Latest Newbill Developments  (Read 32421 times)

bradforster

• All American
Latest Newbill Developments
« on: July 01, 2010, 10:15:04 PM »
Much has transpired during the past 24 hours so I feel compelled to provide and update.  I had scheduled a sit down interview with Stan Laws and DJ Newbill for tonight in Philadelphia.  Stan welcomed an opportunity to set the record straight and address the many rumors floating around about this unfortunate situation.  The coach called to inform me this afternoon that he'd been instructed by Newbill family attorneys not to speak on camera regarding the events surrounding the recruitment process and dismissal of DJ Newbill.  Fact is, Newbill had offers from other Big East schools and because of an NCAA rule is no longer eligible to participate for a program affiliated with the conference. That is not sitting well with the Newbill family.  Many schools have already called to offer DJ a scholarship.  He will weigh all offers and probably make a decision in the very near future.  

I have stated this before but want to reiterate that I recently moved to Philly for a new job opportunity.  Because I have broadcast experience and my own camera equipment, I decided to call DJ's high school and ask permission to do a feature story on Newbill for the fans of MU.  They recommended I talk to Stan and he and DJ were happy to accommodate my request.  I met them on Saturday to conduct some interviews and get b-roll footage for the piece.  If I lived in Chicago I would have done the same thing with Reggie Smith, etc.  For those asking why I've made such a big deal over a "mid tier" type recruit my answer is because he's the student athlete that happens to be close enough for me to interview and feature on camera.  Period.  It's as simple and straight forward as that.  I wanted to provide fans of Marquette an inside look at an incoming freshman.  I wish I could have done it for each kid joining the Marquette fray.  That was not feasible.  

In my preparation to post the piece on DJ, I developed a relationship with Stan, DJ and other Philadelphia hoops players during this process.  Stan called me on Tuesday to inform me of what had happened earlier in the day so I would not run the Newbill feature as planned next week.  I asked if I could break the most current version of events and he gave me the green light.  I am going to post a video tomorrow which includes portions of the interviews I conducted over the past few weeks to shed some better insight on DJ's journey to Marquette.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:29:22 PM by bradforster »

reinko

• All American
Re: Latest Newbill Developments
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
Much has transpired during the past 24 hours so I feel compelled to provide and update.  I had scheduled a sit down interview with Stan Laws and DJ Newbill for tonight in Philadelphia.  Stan welcomed an opportunity to set the record straight and address the many rumors floating around about this unfortunate situation.  The coach called to inform me this afternoon that he'd been instructed by Newbill family attorneys not to speak on camera regarding the events surrounding the recruitment process and dismissal of DJ Newbill.  Fact is, Newbill had offers from other Big East schools and because of an NCAA rule is no longer eligible to participate for a program affiliated with the conference. That is not sitting well with the Newbill family.  Many schools have already called to offer DJ a scholarship.  He will weigh all offers and probably make a decision in the very near future. 

I have stated this before but want to reiterate that I recently moved to Philly for a new job opportunity.  Because I have broadcast experience and my own camera equipment, I decided to call DJ's high school and ask permission to do a feature story on Newbill for the fans of MU.  They recommended I talk to Stan and he and DJ were happy to accommodate my request.  I met them on Saturday to conduct some interviews and get b-roll footage for the piece.  If I lived in Chicago I would have done the same thing with Reggie Smith, etc.  For those asking why I've made such a big deal over a "mid tier" type recruit my answer is because he's the student athlete that happens to be close enough for me to interview and feature on camera.  Period.  It's as simple and straight forward as that.  I wanted to provide fans of Marquette and inside look at an incoming freshman.  I wish I could have done it for each kid joining the Marquette fray.  That was not feasible. 

In my preparation to post the piece on DJ, I developed a relationship with Stan, DJ and other Philadelphia hoops players during this process.  Stan called me on Tuesday to inform me of what had happened earlier in the day so I would not run the Newbill feature as planned next week.  I asked if I could break the most current version of events and he gave me the green light.  I am going to post a video tomorrow which includes portions of the interviews I conducted over the past few weeks to shed some better insight on DJ's journey to Marquette.

Thanks for the update.  Best of luck to DJ.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:19:42 PM »
Wow, I am stunned, stunned I tell you that you will not deliver on the shocking tell all.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »
It would not surprise me if they took legal action of some kind.  Whether it works or not, who knows.  And I don't blame them for being upset.  We're talking about their kid's life here....his options are limited (no Big East school) and because it's late in the game, fewer schools have any open scholarships.  Yeah, I'd be damn pissed off.

And so would 99% of the people here if they answered honestly and their son \ daughter signed a NLI and was "cut" the last day of June due to no fault of their own.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:35:52 PM »
You know, Chicos, I'd be more than pissed..., I'd be hurt.  However, if I knew from the getgo that I was in effect waitlisted..., well, I guess I'd have had a contingency plan, a fall back school.  It almost seems as though Newbill didn't believe MU was still looking- so, did he know? or not?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 10:39:18 PM »
the high school told you to call Coach Stan, whom they fired?  okay.   ::)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:43:32 PM »
It would not surprise me if they took legal action of some kind.  Whether it works or not, who knows.  And I don't blame them for being upset.  We're talking about their kid's life here....his options are limited (no Big East school) and because it's late in the game, fewer schools have any open scholarships.  Yeah, I'd be damn pissed off.

And so would 99% of the people here if they answered honestly and their son \ daughter signed a NLI and was "cut" the last day of June due to no fault of their own.

1.Do you know that any other Big East team offered him? No,you don't.
2.Do you know that this was through no fault of their own? No, you don't. (I bet if it was your kid the application would have been filled out and submitted prior to June 30th)
3.Do you know that DJ and his family weren't fully apprised that in order to come to MU he might first have to spend a year in prep school? No, you do not.

Save your outrage for Damian Saunders, for whom there were no contingecies. who filled ouy all his paperwork and fully qualified academically only to have his scholarship pulled in August because Crean couldn't run anybody else off. The hypocrisy and faux outrage is wearing very thin.

Mike Deane

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:46:27 PM »
Wait!  Didn't you say something like "laugable!"?  and now "stunned."  Great!  Go get something to back you up with solid evidence, or shut up!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 10:48:57 PM »
I think outside of the application part, the part that I have trouble understanding is the fact that Buzz hasn't made any secret about someone going to prep school. I know if I were in that position I would be constantly talking to the coach about that. For the most part I think the recruits talk to each other, so they would be able to gauge if one wasn't going to prep school. Don't Reggie, Jamail and Vander talk a lot? Jae wouldn't go prep, and I'm pretty sure the prep talk started before Gardner committed. Thus if I were DJ, I'd be calling Buzz every day until I got an answer. Also, I think he said they hadn't talked much since he signed. If true I don't think that makes our staff look great, but then again Newbill could have constantly called Buzz as well.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 10:57:15 PM »
Thank goodness someone came to their senses.  Nothing positive could have come from that interview, for anyone.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 11:00:06 PM »
It should be interesting. I wonder if Buzz and Marquette received legal advice before this all happened.  With a law school their should of been no shortage of advice.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:04:15 PM »
Sheesh, the whiplash from people who loved Brad's videos 5 minutes ago and now consider him a spawn of Crean is ridiculous.

Settle down people. He doesn't have the acquired wisdom of 50+ year olds who sit on their alma mater's basketball message boards all day at work.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:06:12 PM by warrior07 »

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »
I was referred to Stan by retired Strawberry Mansion high school coach Gerald Hendricks.  He is the gentleman to whom I first spoke at Mansion.  The funniest part of this whole message board process is that I am the one person who will actually state my comments with my real name attached to them.  Hiding behind some crazy self imposed nickname is quite amusing.  How can there be any credibility associated with comments made by people using aliases?  Anyone can show up on line as Mike Deane, Doris Burke's Thong, or Amal McCaskill's jock strap.  Give me a break.  

And the reason DJ and Stan can't sit down for the interview is because they have been instructed not to do so by attorneys.  They had every intention of doing so before then.  I have already interviewed them more than once.  It was they who called me after finding out the news on Tuesday.  You should get YOUR facts straight.  Mine are most certainly in line.  And as an added bonus, they have my actual name attached to them.  They aren't being attributed to Kevin O'Neill's Profanity Filter and Tom "George Hamilton" Crean.  Who the heck would actually use Mike Deane as their screen name anyway?  Obviously you have low expectations of yourself.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:24:06 PM by bradforster »

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 11:31:31 PM »
For the most part, I believe IWB's recount of events.  But, I have a couple questions that I can't reconcile.

1.  An LOI is only good for this coming season, correct?  (I say this because next years class (2011 freshmen) cannot even sign an LOI until November.)

2.  Assuming this is true, why do you accept an LOI from someone you are planning to send to Prep School?

The LOI doesn't make sense for this year if you are planning to send a kid to prep school, and is void for the following season.  I have no problem with giving a kid a contingent offer, but the LOI along with it just doesn't make sense. If he gives you a verbal, down the road you have the option of admitting him, cutting ties with him or sending him to prep with no hard feelings.

Am I missing something?  If there is a benefit to accepting a LOI from a kid with a contingent offer, can someone please explain it to me?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 11:43:13 PM »
You know, Chicos, I'd be more than pissed..., I'd be hurt.  However, if I knew from the getgo that I was in effect waitlisted..., well, I guess I'd have had a contingency plan, a fall back school.  It almost seems as though Newbill didn't believe MU was still looking- so, did he know? or not?

Ask yourself, would you sign a letter of intent to a school if you were told there was a good chance you would never play there?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 11:46:42 PM »
Sheesh, the whiplash from people who loved Brad's videos 5 minutes ago and now consider him a spawn of Crean is ridiculous.

Settle down people. He doesn't have the acquired wisdom of 50+ year olds who sit on their alma mater's basketball message boards all day at work.

No kidding, it's hilarious.  Same with DJ's coach.  A few months ago they loved him, loved the Journal Sentinel write-up about Newbill with all the quotes from the coach.  Last month, they loved PhillyCoach as well, but now he's Hitler.

Incredible.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 11:57:02 PM »
Chico, your man Crean isn't coming back.  We like Buzz and what he is doing for the program.  Buzz may make some mistakes.  All and all he has been awesome.  Is your soap box high enough?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 12:00:50 AM »
Chico, your man Crean isn't coming back.  We like Buzz and what he is doing for the program.  Buzz may make some mistakes.  All and all he has been awesome.  Is your soap box high enough?

He's not my man, hate to break it to you. 

Buzz will make mistakes, we all do.

I like what Buzz has done so far.....I also want us to do the right thing and that includes honoring commitments.  I'm not sure why that's so hard for you to understand. 

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 01:04:18 AM »
Fact is, Newbill had offers from other Big East schools and because of an NCAA rule is no longer eligible to participate for a program affiliated with the conference. That is not sitting well with the Newbill family.  

Once he signed that LOI, he was never going to play for another Big East school.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 02:04:34 AM »
Once he signed that LOI, he was never going to play for another Big East school.

Therein lies the problem and why lives are affected when you throw 18 year olds under a bus and don't honor commitments.

Yet people here get cranky when this is pointed out and the messenger is the bad guy.  The koolaid is very strong for some.  Jim Jones is smiling in hell somewhere.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
um
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 02:09:03 AM »
Therein lies the problem and why lives are affected when you throw 18 year olds under a bus and don't honor commitments.

Yet people here get cranky when this is pointed out and the messenger is the bad guy.  The koolaid is very strong for some.  Jim Jones is smiling in hell somewhere.

Question: If MU took him on and cut him after next year, that would satisfy your idea of a "commitment", correct?
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 02:24:46 AM »
1.Do you know that any other Big East team offered him? No,you don't.

Todd Rosiak says he was offered....maybe he's just confused or got his Newbills mixed up.

"Newbill, who scored 64 points in a game last season, wasn't a high-profile recruit but turned down a scholarship offer to West Virginia and also had inquiries from Rutgers and Seton Hall. Because he signed with MU, he's no longer able to sign with any other Big East school."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/97542559.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: um
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 02:37:14 AM »
Question: If MU took him on and cut him after next year, that would satisfy your idea of a "commitment", correct?

Yes, because a scholarship is a one year renewable offer.

My biggest beef with all this is that school is about to start, this kid had an offer from another Big East school as well as other programs, and at the 11th hour we push him to the curb because a more attractive player comes along.  You don't do that to people.  We've now left this kid in a pinch, his Big East options are screwed and more than likely a lot of his other options are screwed, at least in the short run. Who knows about the long run. 

And this idea about stashing players at Prep schools.  Yeah, it does happen SOME times.....but often without the kid signing any NLI.  Once the kid signs a NLI, his options are gone. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 05:25:57 AM »
What's an attorney going to do for Newbill? He won't get stink.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

nyg

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 05:38:24 AM »
Brad, the family instructed you not to conduct the interviews on camera regarding the recent events. 

Did you conduct the interviews off camera?  If so, did you utilize any of the questions that you solicited in a previous thread?