[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Balanced Roster in 2011  (Read 8511 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Balanced Roster in 2011
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 08:38:04 AM »
Finally, we agree on something.  I've posted several times on here that I think the 2011-2012 team might be the most talented team EVER at MU.  Now, having said that I'm sure some (not you) will be quick to say Buzz didn't do a good coaching job if the 2011-2012 team doesn't win a National Championship.  However, if DJO stays for his senior year (which some laugh at the notion that he could be an early entry candidate), and this year's freshman class develops well, add in Jamil Wilson - we very easily could be a Final Four caliber team.

I think next year's team is going to be fantastic, and can't even imagine how much fun it will be to see this team in 2011-12. As long as Cadougan can develop as a point, ball-handling is solid, and Smith can provide some minutes off the bench, this team could easily be a Final Four contender
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 12:05:45 PM »
I think next year's team is going to be fantastic, and can't even imagine how much fun it will be to see this team in 2011-12. As long as Cadougan can develop as a point, ball-handling is solid, and Smith can provide some minutes off the bench, this team could easily be a Final Four contender

I think that all depends on if someone can step up and be the go to guy, star, leader of this team.  Jimmy is the obvious choice but he will have to prove that he is ready to fill that role vacated by Lazar.

Either way, this team will be very fun to watch.  I will keep my expectations a little lower than Final Four contender though.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »
I think that all depends on if someone can step up and be the go to guy, star, leader of this team.  Jimmy is the obvious choice but he will have to prove that he is ready to fill that role vacated by Lazar.

Either way, this team will be very fun to watch.  I will keep my expectations a little lower than Final Four contender though.

Well, I'm hoping to contend for the Final Four the year after this...but if DJO has a Wade-like second season, it's not impossible to imagine this year. That being said, that's high expectations for any player.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »
That still in absolutly no way implies that we will be down with DePaul. Overall dumb comment. We need a big to contend for the title, Pitt handled us last year with MCghee, freaking Mcghee.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
That still in absolutly no way implies that we will be down with DePaul. Overall dumb comment. We need a big to contend for the title, Pitt handled us last year with MCghee, freaking Mcghee.

Ok...and it was dumb of you to say that we NEED Dawson, and that EVERYONE AGREED WITH THAT.  Again, what happens if we dont get Dawson, if we NEED him so bad?  You havent answered that yet...

Once again, Dawson isnt a big...hes a 6'5" SF.

And for the record, McGehee killed us because our guards couldnt stop there penetration, so help had to come from somewhere...leaving McGehee wide open for dunk after dunk. He only had 5 rebounds that game.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »
and Pitt overall handled us with there size.

What happens if we dont have a guy like Dawson who can rebound at will

Lopez twins 2.0

Washington all over again

Gtown thrashing

We can play with the big boys. We just need size and rebounding to consistently beat them. We were far better than St.Johns but they hung around twice with us because they had rebounders.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
When 3 deep at PG and wing----will be hard to attract a top recruit at those positions.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Ners is right on most talented ever if we mean top 8 players
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 04:06:23 PM »
I think Ners is right on most talented team ever if you are talking number of talented players.  Going back through the historic rosters, I don't believe any team had as strong a top EIGHT players as the 2011-12 team will have. 

I believe the 2012 bench could clearly be stronger than the benches even on the Final Four teams.
In 1974, it was all the starting 5 (Lucas, Ellis, Washington, Walton and Tatum), while 77 was really the old 3 1/2 star rule (Lee, Ellis, Whitehead with Boylan as the unselfish half star) and 2003 was the same (Wade, Jackson, Diener and either a still improving Novak or Merritt).

I think there are only nine teams in MU history that go even SIX deep with the 2012 roster (2002, 1996, 1994, 1983, 1979, 1972, 1955, 1938 and 1922), and the 2012 team is not only EIGHT deep but clearly better than all of those teams except 1955 and 1972.

The only problem I see is potential trouble convincing a star 2012 recruit that he is going to play right away unless he is a stud C/PF, but even if we don't land one of them and Otule or Gardner don't develop how I hope they will, the reason I don't believe a big team will grind us like Pitt or Gtown did this year is that now we have enough bodies to run opposing bigs into the ground and just keep throwing more bodies at them.

Agreed, we don't NEED anything to make a deep run in 2012, but even one big PF/C would be unreal.

The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »
This team is going to be awesome to watch.

I don't want to place expectations too high for next year but it should at least be exciting to watch all of this talent.

2011 should be exciting.

I love some good Kool Aid but its really hard to put high expectations on this team.  I understand the "talent" or number of stars but the only player that is proven is Jimmy.  DJO needs to be better than last season.  Junior hasn't proven his ability.  Nor has Otule, Fulce, EWill, Buycks, and every incoming freshmen.  Odds are that we will be better but I am treating this season like the last two.  Cautiously optimistic.  I am not really sure what kind of team we have.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 04:43:13 PM »
Most talented team ever was the 1976 team.

Whitehead
Ellis
Tatum
Lee
Walton
Toone
Rosenberger
Payne
Butrym
Neary

C Whitehead sophomore vs Otule sophomore edge Whitehead
PF Ellis Junior vs Butler senior big edge to Ellis
SF Tatum senior vs Blue freshmen edge to Tatum
SG Lee sophomore DJO junior edge to Lee
PG Walton senior vs Cadougan sophomore big edge to Walton

Through Bernard Toone and you have 6 players that played in the NBA on that team.

Rosenberger was a very good outside shooter, who would have excelled at the three point shot. Ulice Payne was also a very good player. Both were drafted in the 9th round by the NBA.

2011-2012 Wilson replaces Butler is still no match for 1976 team.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »
Most talented team ever was the 1976 team.

Whitehead
Ellis
Tatum
Lee
Walton
Toone
Rosenberger
Payne
Butrym
Neary

C Whitehead sophomore vs Otule sophomore edge Whitehead
PF Ellis Junior vs Butler senior big edge to Ellis
SF Tatum senior vs Blue freshmen edge to Tatum
SG Lee sophomore DJO junior edge to Lee
PG Walton senior vs Cadougan sophomore big edge to Walton

Through Bernard Toone and you have 6 players that played in the NBA on that team.

Rosenberger was a very good outside shooter, who would have excelled at the three point shot. Ulice Payne was also a very good player. Both were drafted in the 9th round by the NBA.

2011-2012 Wilson replaces Butler is still no match for 1976 team.

I think I agree with your analysis.  The 1976 team was awesome.   But thr fact that we are discussing the potential of the current team in the same sentence means that there is plenty to look forward to with these kids.

feedback