Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can't we just get to the heart of the matter. What is the RIGHT THING TO DO?  (Read 20699 times)

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
You married your high school sweetheart?? How sad to not explore what is out there.
No need for that cheap shot.  Getting married at an early age is easy.  Staying married for so long is amazing.  Good for him.  His wife must have the patience of a saint though.   ;)

For the record, I am disappointed that Marquette allowed the LOI to be signed.  Hopefully it doesn't happen in this manner again.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
No need for that cheap shot.  Getting married at an early age is easy.  Staying married for so long is amazing.  Good for him.  His wife must have the patience of a saint though.   ;)

For the record, I am disappointed that Marquette allowed the LOI to be signed.  Hopefully it doesn't happen in this manner again.

For the record, no, I got married when I was 29....and we didn't even date in high school....I went to the Homecoming dance with the Senior princess.   ;D   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
And how do you know this scenario did NOT exist?  How do you know this was NOT communicated to DJ?  Or are you automatically only going to gravitate to one version?

Because logically speaking, it makes no sense.  You don't sign a NLI to go to a school that may say you're not going to make it and you'll be cut.  Why on earth would you do this and put yourself at risk?  Makes no sense.

Quite frankly, we shouldn't be accepting LOIs from student athletes unless we're 100% committed, that way this stuff doesn't happen.  That's the shame in all of this. 

This action puts MU in a terrible light.

willie warrior

• All American
Man, I cannot believe all the vitriol, slams, name calling etc. going on here.

Oh, I guess I can--just like politics.

The long and short is that Newbill get hosed, whether it was by MU or his advisers--likely it was by both.

This episode does not make me real proud of MU, although I will still follow them through thick and thin. I just get queasy looking at some of these recent deals: Roseboro, Maymon, Newbill, Mbao (and throw in M. Clark offer) and wonder if there is a trend here. It seems like we are averaging about two judgmental errors per year on recruits. Since you usually bring about 4 guys per year, a 50% failure rate sucks.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Madtown, I don't bash Buzz at every given moment, you're just wrong.  I just don't have koolaid blinders on. I've complimented Buzz many many times over, you just don't bother to read it or ignore it on purpose.

I also don't have a man-crush on Crean...I had to work for the guy, I know what a complete a-hole he is more than 99% of people on here.  It's one thing to deal with TC for 30 minutes at a function or an hour here or there, quite another to spend 60 to 70 hours a week.

And don't ever question my MU fandom...ever.

So now that you're 0 for 3, try again.

You spent 70 hours a week with Crean? Explains many, many things. Doesn't excuse them, mind you. But it does explain them.

MerrittsMustache

• All American

Because logically speaking, it makes no sense.  You don't sign a NLI to go to a school that may say you're not going to make it and you'll be cut.  Why on earth would you do this and put yourself at risk?  Makes no sense.

In other words, you don't know.

Logically speaking, a player might do this because 1) he didn't fully understand the agreement, 2) he didn't think MU would sign another player, 3) his advisors told him MU wouldn't sign another player, 4) his advisors kept him largely in the dark on this agreement, 5) he's a kid earning a scholarship to play college basketball and only heard what he wanted to hear.

I obviously don't know if any of this is true, but neither does anyone else on these boards. Therefore, I'm not going to present my presumptions as facts.

cheebs09

• All American
Sometimes thinking logically doesn't get you the answer in recruiting and dealing with high school kids. I know you could look at some of my decisions when I was that age and I didn't make the logical choice.

It is a very real possibility that there was a breakdown in communication somewhere as alluded to in other threads and stuff. Maybe like was said an adviser handled a large part of the recruitment and didn't relay the information correctly to DJ. Maybe Monarch didn't relay it to the adviser or Newbill the right way. I think we just have to wait for more details to come out, I'm sure they will. There was an email circulating about the Maymon incident, maybe that will happen with this. However, we will probably never know the full story. Depending on who tells the story, it will be from a certain perspective.