Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JAMIL WILSON TRANSFERRING TO MU!  (Read 10750 times)

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
Re: JAMIL WILSON TRANSFERRING TO MU!
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 11:50:39 AM »
The gomarquette article said that he would have three years left.  Is that because he is burning his redshirt during his transfer year?

Transfers have to sit out a year and that doesn't count against them. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »
The gomarquette article said that he would have three years left.  Is that because he is burning his redshirt during his transfer year?

Yes, that's almost always what happens.  FWIW scholarship table updated...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 11:52:35 AM »
I don't know enough about Jamil yet, but just reading these stats makes me stagger all of the optimism people are telling me I should have:

"He averaged 4.7 points and 3.2 rebounds in 16.9 minutes."

The Pac 10 wasn't too good of a conference and he still didn't put up that great of numbers... is he really THAT great of a catch??

Just to reiterate, I don't know enough about him... looking for some more analysis of his game, etc.

I'm skeptical as well. However, Oregon's program was somewhat in disarray last season. They had a lot of young players, a coach very much on the hot seat and they never quite put it all together. I'm not implying Jamil would have had a breakout season somewhere else, but those are just a few things to consider. This goes on top of the fact that he was a true freshman.

Many players make their biggest improvements between freshman and soph year. With a transfer year to learn Buzz's system and acclimate himself to MU, I think he'll have an excellent first season with the program.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »
I wonder how this will affect the recruitment of Branden Dawson?  They seem to be similar players. (Both in style and in size)

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 12:01:37 PM »
I don't know enough about Jamil yet, but just reading these stats makes me stagger all of the optimism people are telling me I should have:

The Pac 10 wasn't too good of a conference and he still didn't put up that great of numbers... is he really THAT great of a catch??

Just to reiterate, I don't know enough about him... looking for some more analysis of his game, etc.

"Lazar Hayward averaged 6.6 points and 3.6 rebounds in 16.3 minutes this past season.  Will he ever be any good at MU?"

-Golden Warrior, summer 2007

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 12:06:36 PM »
I wonder how this will affect the recruitment of Branden Dawson?  They seem to be similar players. (Both in style and in size)

I've wondered the same thing, but I think Wilson is more of a wing, while Dawson is more of a banger.  He's known as a rebounding force.

Even if it does play a role in Dawson landing elsewhere, you've got to go with the bird in hand theory here.  I'd take Wilson with a whole year of development in the MU system and two years in college ball over Dawson as a freshman in 2011-2012.  It's close though.  I really really want Dawson at MU and I hope this doesn't affect anything in that respect.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 12:10:46 PM »
"Lazar Hayward averaged 6.6 points and 3.6 rebounds in 16.3 minutes this past season.  Will he ever be any good at MU?"

-Golden Warrior, summer 2007
Hahahaha man I'm happy I never said this for The Zar.  But listen, as I said I'm looking for a break down of this kid's game.  As a top 30 recruit in the country... I'm expecting quite a bit more from him his freshman year.  Hayward... not exactly a top 30 recruit in the country at his time.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »
I'm really excited to get Wilson. He has the athletic ability to make a major impact. For both him and MU, this transfer seems to be the perfect fit.

Hopefully, the year away from home at Oregon gave him a little more maturity and the red-shirt year at MU will help polish his skills to maximum his great athletic ability.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »
I'm skeptical as well. However, Oregon's program was somewhat in disarray last season. They had a lot of young players, a coach very much on the hot seat and they never quite put it all together. I'm not implying Jamil would have had a breakout season somewhere else, but those are just a few things to consider. This goes on top of the fact that he was a true freshman.

Many players make their biggest improvements between freshman and soph year. With a transfer year to learn Buzz's system and acclimate himself to MU, I think he'll have an excellent first season with the program.

I tend to agree with you.  I don't buy the "the program at oregon was a mess" argument usually and won't here either, but I do think that a year to learn our system and to acclimate himself with everything here, he should hopefully be able to put the pieces together to shine right out of the gate for us his first year with us on the court.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 12:20:45 PM »
This team will be stacked in 2011-2012, what a class Blue, Wilson, and Jones will be.  Great size and athleticism.

DJO, Blue, Jones, Wilson, Crowder, Cadougan are a lot to look forward too.  Obviously we really only know what one of those is capable of, it's probably premature and it's based only off of rankings, but never before has such depth and talent all been at MU at once! Can't wait!

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 12:21:07 PM »

You're playing with house money with Dawson anyways, especially if he plans on signing late; now this let's you ride that out all the way because you now have a player of similar caliber already on your roster.  
The General has taken on a new command.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 12:25:21 PM »

Okay, lets assume he plays 35 minutes.  That would be about 10 points, and 7 boards per game from a Freshman.  Most of his development came towards the end of the year as well, IIRC.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 01:21:24 PM »
Okay, lets assume he plays 35 minutes.  That would be about 10 points, and 7 boards per game from a Freshman.  Most of his development came towards the end of the year as well, IIRC.
Yeah, I see what the stats are over more time played, but I still think we need to temper our excitement here.  People seem to be thinking this kid is THE get for this program, and yes he's a nice addition, but I don't exactly see him being the piece that gets us a Big East championship or an actually deep NCAA run necessarily...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 01:25:57 PM »
Yeah, I see what the stats are over more time played, but I still think we need to temper our excitement here.  People seem to be thinking this kid is THE get for this program, and yes he's a nice addition, but I don't exactly see him being the piece that gets us a Big East championship or an actually deep NCAA run necessarily...

A top 30 player can't be the extra piece?  Why not?

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 01:32:02 PM »
Hahahaha man I'm happy I never said this for The Zar.  But listen, as I said I'm looking for a break down of this kid's game.  As a top 30 recruit in the country... I'm expecting quite a bit more from him his freshman year.  Hayward... not exactly a top 30 recruit in the country at his time.

I was only kidding.  But freshman numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.  If you're looking for a breakdown of his game, Buzz gave one in the Rosiak article: "He can pass, dribble, and shoot."

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »
A top 30 player can't be the extra piece?  Why not?
I'm not saying he can't be... I'm saying that I'm tempering my excitement and may believe it once I actually see him perform on the court and be successful.  I don't buy into the rankings usually for recruits... Lazar I don't think was ranked in top 100 by most yet he just got drafted 1st round NBA and had a stellar career for us at Marquette.  Obviously there's plenty back and forth to be had of rankings actually being accurate or inaccurate, but I guess I'm just more of a show me what u can do before I buy into it type

nyg

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 01:38:45 PM »

What else do you want???

Here would be the probable lineup as it stands today, not including anyone else Buzz gets in the 2011 class:

PG-Junior
SG-Blue
SG-DJO
PF-Crowder
C-Otule

SF-Wilson
PF-Williams
C-Gardner
PG-Smith
SG-Jones

Plus two new recruits.

Seven of the ten were Top 100 recruits, three were top 50 and one was the JC Player of the Year.

Jeez, I had to put a Center in there, but Wilson could start over him.  The second team listed above could field a Division I starting five.  We had a seven man rotation this year, 2011 could have a ten man. Only problem maybe someone complaining about playing time.  That team will be loaded, highly ranked and will be expected to make a big run. Enjoy it.    

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 03:24:56 PM »
What else do you want???

Here would be the probable lineup as it stands today, not including anyone else Buzz gets in the 2011 class:

PG-Junior
SG-Blue
SG-DJO
PF-Crowder
C-Otule

SF-Wilson
PF-Williams
C-Gardner
PG-Smith
SG-Jones

Plus two new recruits.

Seven of the ten were Top 100 recruits, three were top 50 and one was the JC Player of the Year.

Jeez, I had to put a Center in there, but Wilson could start over him.  The second team listed above could field a Division I starting five.  We had a seven man rotation this year, 2011 could have a ten man. Only problem maybe someone complaining about playing time.  That team will be loaded, highly ranked and will be expected to make a big run. Enjoy it.    
Haha, I'm not saying I don't want Wilson or that I want anything else... I'm saying people should temper their excitement.  As I said, it seems like a LOT of people on here think that this kid is like the second coming of Wade or something!!  I am excited about the potential too, but I'm not exactly doing backflips because we got a guy who may have averaged 10 pts, 7 rbs in 35 mins of work.

I am pumped we got another recruit that seems to fit a mold for our squad.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 06:05:25 AM »
A belated welcome to MU, Jamil!!!

feedback