[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Can you imagine internet message boards in 1977  (Read 24281 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Can you imagine internet message boards in 1977
« on: February 25, 2007, 09:25:13 PM »
At roughly this time in 1977, Marquette had 7 regular season losses (we have 8 right now)....I can just imagine the vitriol.

::)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Can you imagine internet message boards in 1977
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 09:47:19 PM »
But there were differences.

The year before MU went to the NCAAs with a team that was similar to their 1977 team.

AND we had AL.  ;)
SS Marquette

mviale

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 10:20:23 PM »
It shows that any team can get hot and take it all.   When these guys are firing on all cylinders - watch out.  Yes, I wish we had Greg Oden, but this is the army we have.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 12:00:57 AM »
I guarantee you we are not a team the high seeds will want to see, say we get a ten seed... do you think that any 2 seed would want to see MU in the second round knowing what this team is capable of? I think not

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 12:34:27 AM »
But there were differences.

The year before MU went to the NCAAs with a team that was similar to their 1977 team.

AND we had AL.  ;)

Yes, but 7 losses back in those days was pretty bad for a NCAA team...some will argue we only got in because it was Al's last year.

The point is, we weren't hitting on all cylinders and based on what I've read here at times I'm sure there would be more than a few that would lite that team up for not delivering the goodies to satisfy the desires of some fans...God forbid.   :'(

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 08:47:03 AM »
I suppose so.

But I'd have more confidence in an experienced team returning to the tourney than one that's as inexperienced as ours now.

Plus, the 77 team had AL.

;)
SS Marquette

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:43:19 AM »
For those amongst this group who do not know the story, Marquette was the last team selected for the field of 32 -- yes, 32 -- in 1977. 

The selections were made at halftime of Marquette's final regular season game versus a strong Michigan team.  [This is how things were done before big money entered the tournament.  There was no televised selection show, the NIT was only a slightly less acceptable alternative, and championships were played in venues designed for basketball rather than domed stadiums.]  Marquette was winning the game at halftime, but eventually lost.

To indicate that Marquette received a bid, if they received a bid, Al promised to change his suit at halftime.  After halftime, he came out in a different suit, and wore that suit for every game throughout the rest of the tournament.

Also, at the time Marquette won the championship in 1977, it had the most was losses of any team to win it all. 

As for Chico's suggestion about the impact of the Internet if it existed at that time, I am left to wonder about what consipracy theories would have resulted regarding the game versus UNC-Charlotte (the George Mason of the 1977 tournament).  It has always appeared to me -- from the time it happened -- that Jerome Whitehead's game winning shot was offensive goal tending.  He attempts a dunk, the ball slips out of his hand, goes off the backboard, and makes contact in the cylinder with the back of his hand, which on his follow through went into the basket, and then fell through (the ball not his hand).  Maybe the stars were properly aligned -- Marquette gets the last spot in the tournament, wins this game and goes on to win it all in Al's final game, or was it something more at play here?   ;)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
At roughly this time in 1977, Marquette had 7 regular season losses (we have 8 right now)....I can just imagine the vitriol.

You couldn't be more right. All of Al's techniques are cheered and romanticized today, but let's face it: a lot of people hated him, including his own players.

Al was a master motivator and knew what he was doing (at least we all assume so), but the message boards would have been burning up if people had heard the rumor about him fighting his own players.

Hell, people were mad at Crean for grabbing the ball and yelling at the refs. Al stood on the scorers table while people flipped him the finger!

Big difference, yet Al is looked upon as a saint and Crean gets blasted.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 10:01:12 AM »
Al McGuire had more personality and charisma in one of his hair follicles than Crean will ever have. To compare the two is just beyond ridiculous.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 10:32:25 AM »
Easy to compare Crean and McGuire.  Crean is the only other MU coach to take us to the Final four and he is far from done.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 11:09:14 AM »
If there was message boards in 1977, I wouldn't have seen them  :)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

augoman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 11:42:04 AM »

You couldn't be more right. All of Al's techniques are cheered and romanticized today, but let's face it: a lot of people hated him, including his own players.

Al was a master motivator and knew what he was doing (at least we all assume so), but the message boards would have been burning up if people had heard the rumor about him fighting his own players.

Hell, people were mad at Crean for grabbing the ball and yelling at the refs. Al stood on the scorers table while people flipped him the finger!

Actually, 'people didn't flip him the bird'... just the father of UW's Kim and Kerry Hughes.  It made the front page of the journal sports, and he was very visible and very obvious.  A typical UW fan.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 12:03:04 PM »

Imagine the outrage if Crean stood on the scorers table or danced at half court ala St. Mike Deane*.

*sainthood for M. Deane has only been achieved in the minds of a small number of people who still believe that MU would be better off with Deane at the helm.  ;)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 01:20:19 PM »
Al McGuire had more personality and charisma in one of his hair follicles than Crean will ever have. To compare the two is just beyond ridiculous.

Actually, I was comparing the reactions of the fans, not Crean and Al. I was referencing what the fan reaction/message boards would have been like given Al's controversial nature. Please re-read my post. Thanks.

Again, people love to make it seem like Al was a national hero, when truth be told he had plenty of doubters. Read any old interviews with him, he says that a lot of people used to hate him (even MU fans).

I will not compare Crean to Al, but I will say that the fan reaction for Crean is probably similar to what Al faced. (again, I’m comparing FAN reaction, not the 2 coaches)

Some people don't like Crean, some people love him. I'm not really for or against him, but I am for success. He is BY FAR the second most successful coach at MU and he's only been here since 1999.

Other coaches have had some success, but nobody (outside of Al) has the resume that Crean is building.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 01:23:24 PM »

You may be right, but Al McGuire liked Tom Crean tremendously and hearing that directly from Al is enough for me.

McGuire believed in Crean.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »

Actually, 'people didn't flip him the bird'... just the father of UW's Kim and Kerry Hughes.  It made the front page of the journal sports, and he was very visible and very obvious.  A typical UW fan.

Agreed. I've seen the picture and heard the story. I think its great.

I'm just saying that Al had plenty of contraversial tatics that people (mu fans and opposing fans) hated. I'm sure there are plenty of MU fans that hated that he stood on the table.

If there were message boards back then... people would have been burning them up and saying some crazy stuff about Al.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 03:07:25 PM »
I suppose so.

But I'd have more confidence in an experienced team returning to the tourney than one that's as inexperienced as ours now.

And given the level of complaint with an inexperienced team and 8 losses, can you imagine what 7 losses would cause when you have everyone back from a 28-2 team?

Lets have some fun with today's board magically transported to Late-February 1977:

"SEVEN losses with this much experience returning is UNACCEPTABLE!"

"We've underachieved every year McGuire has been here, and we're screwing the pooch BIG TIME this year.  Thank God he's gone."

"If only AM could recruit a decent big man.  We need another aircraft carrier--we haven't had once since Chones left, and Ellis and Whitehead simply aren't getting the job done."

"We can't really give AM credit for the Final Four, because he had Tatum and Lucas"  What has Al done without players like that?

"We should have at least FOUR championships already.  Our talent since '74 is at least as good as Wooden's."

"Clearly scheduling is hurting us down the stretch.  We're simply not prepared to play in February and March."

"We had the greatest MU player ever in George Thompson--and all he have to show for his efforts is an NIT runner-up. "

"Rutgers doesn't have a single player who would start for us, and they made the final four last year."

"At least we don't have to go through the heartbreak of ANOTHER early exit from the NCAA--we won't even MAKE the field this year."

"The administration doesn't care about the alumni.  Our nickname will always be the HILLTOPPERS."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 03:23:57 PM »
Marquette84....post of the year

Nicely done

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 03:43:56 PM »
that should be put in the Wiki!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 03:53:37 PM »
That's pretty funny stuff.

Well done.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 04:17:26 PM »
That might be deja vu for some of the old-timers.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 02:11:50 PM »
Excellent work, Marquette84!  The only thing I would add to keep it relevant with the times is -- "The days of the major independent are gone.  Marquette cannot survive, let alone perform at a high level, without conference affiliation."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 02:33:55 PM by Coach Norman Dale »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 02:19:46 PM »
Also add:
  • "There is NO WAY Bo Ellis will get drafted with the way he's playing.
  • "I hope Butch Lee DOES go pro - we'll be a better team without him next year.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 03:02:25 PM »
I would add:

• Is Al McGuire so impressed with celebrity that he needs to constantly reference his great friendship with Dodgers manager Walter Alston?
  • The fact that McGuire can't keep assistant coaches for more than a single season is proof positive that he's an unlikable control freak

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 04:00:51 PM »
I would add:

• Is Al McGuire so impressed with celebrity that he needs to constantly reference his great friendship with Dodgers manager Walter Alston?
  • The fact that McGuire can't keep assistant coaches for more than a single season is proof positive that he's an unlikable control freak

The point that everybody was making was that often times/most times fan blow things about coaches and teams out of propotion.

We all know Al was great, but he wasn't without his share of adversity and/or doubters.

I'm sure there was somebody like you back in 1977 who didn't like Al and told everybody he knew about it whenever he got the chance.

Do you believe that Al liked Crean? Or do you think that story is made up?