[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Out of Big East?  (Read 12152 times)

3Mer

• Starter
Marquette Out of Big East?
« on: June 17, 2010, 11:16:15 AM »
A West Virginia University blog is predicting Marquette will get kicked out of the Big East (along with a few other non-footbal members like DePaul and St. John's) when, as expected, the Big East expands with the additionals of Central Florida University and Memphis: http://hailwv.com/2010/06/17/big-east-on-offense/

mugoose

• Team Captain
Re: Marquette Out of Big East?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »
absolute non-sense

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »
A West Virginia University blog is predicting Marquette will get kicked out of the Big East (along with a few other non-footbal members like DePaul and St. John's) when, as expected, the Big East expands with the additionals of Central Florida University and Memphis: http://hailwv.com/2010/06/17/big-east-on-offense/

I have as much inside information as that guy does and I predict that Conference USA will merge with the MAC.

scowwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 11:42:50 AM »
It is all arbitrary, as the Mayans have predicted the end of the world in 2012 ;)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »
Hahahahahaha. 

LON

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »
So they will kick out St. Johns and then still have the conference tourney at MSG?

Yeah right.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:54:13 AM »
It is all arbitrary, as the Mayans have predicted the end of the world in 2012 ;)

Hummm maybe they actually predicted the end of the college conference world in 2012...

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 11:57:07 AM »
Not sure SJU has much to do with the tournament being held there. The contract is between MSG L.P. and the BE Conference.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Does that guy even realize that St. Johns is a founding member of the Big East? lol

Either the conference stays as is, expands, or splits.

Nobody is getting "kicked out".

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »
Does that guy even realize that St. Johns is a founding member of the Big East? lol

Correct. No one will get kicked out, but Marquette might get Creaned.

LON

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »
Not sure SJU has much to do with the tournament being held there. The contract is between MSG L.P. and the BE Conference.

I realize that, but I'd think it would leave a fairly sour taste

+1, I don't see the Big East kicking out SJU and still playing in MSG for the tourney.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:15:36 PM »
The Big East has cooled on Marquette.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 12:18:39 PM »

I stopped reading right there.

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 12:34:23 PM »

Really? You think so? I am seriously asking. I have no insider knowledge and was curious if there was some evidence of this that the public would be able to see.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 12:35:51 PM »
Really? You think so? I am seriously asking. I have no insider knowledge and was curious if there was some evidence of this that the public would be able to see.

He was being sarcastic.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »
I know if MU wanted to leave they would have to pay a penalty buyout. Without the conference disbanding can they kick you out without compensating you?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »
  Was this meant for teal?  To cool on Depaul is one thing, given that they've won one conference game in two years, but get a grip if they'd cool on MU.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 12:57:50 PM »
absolute non-sense

Not really. Eventually the football schools will separate from the hoops only teams. It is only a matter of time.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 01:10:15 PM »
Marquette? The school that is in the top 10 in America in average attendance and has been in the big dance in every Big East season. What a joke!!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 01:12:39 PM »
Marquette? The school that is in the top 10 in America in average attendance and has been in the big dance in every Big East season. What a joke!!

Kansas was close to being homeless. That should tell you something.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 01:47:29 PM »
Not really. Eventually the football schools will separate from the hoops only teams. It is only a matter of time.

Is there a difference in the $$$ paid to teams by the BEAST depending on if they have a BEAST football team or not?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 01:50:58 PM »
  Was this meant for teal?  To cool on Depaul is one thing, given that they've won one conference game in two years, but get a grip if they'd cool on MU.

Some things are so obviously sarcastic they don't need teal.   (or so I thought...)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 01:56:35 PM »
Is there a difference in the $$$ paid to teams by the BEAST depending on if they have a BEAST football team or not?
I'll join the question--as I dont know any answer here, and note like Big 12 orphans accomodated to keep their FB power schools happy-

-I wouldn't have any problem if MU did not share in or receive any BE football sourced income, bowl $, etc....we arent a part of it....why claim it or fight over it? If FB schools are keeping up the auto bcs status...let'em have the FB $.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »
Kansas was close to being homeless. That should tell you something.
[/quote I get you pont on Kansas. If you are going to kick 2 Big East BB schools, it's a joke that Marquette would be one of them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:23:54 PM by mupanther »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

bma725

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »
That's not the point of the WVU story. If you are going to kick 2 Big East BB schools, it's a joke that Marquette would be one of them.

They wouldn't be making the decision based upon the quality of the program.  They'd do it based upon the fact that of the basketball only schools, we have the least time in the conference and don't provide the media market they want.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »
They wouldn't be making the decision based upon the quality of the program.  They'd do it based upon the fact that of the basketball only schools, we have the least time in the conference and don't provide the media market they want.
Seton Hall and Prov.College do? I 'll take the Milwaukee and Chicago market.
-Bill Walton

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 02:26:54 PM »

Part-time members of the BE make roughly $1.7 M per year.
Football schools receive the $1.7 M (for non-football sports) as well as roughly $4-6 M per year (for football).

Last year, the NCAA paid each school that made the NCAA tournament $1 M and approx. $300k for each win. In the BE, all of this revenue goes not to the individual schools, but to the conference where it is split evenly.

Football schools that go to Bowl games get to keep their bowl money.

These nice numbers are why every football school wants to leave the BE.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:30:02 PM by goodgreatgrand »

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 02:27:19 PM »
So in this bright-eyed reporter's (and I use that term loosely) eyes, Marquette is on the same level of non-football schools as Seton Hall, Depaul and St. John's, rather than on the Georgetown/Villanova level?

Perhaps he's forgotten Marquette has a better BIG EAST conference record in the past 5 years than the Mountaineers.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 02:28:26 PM »

BCS Money is shared among the football schools only.  

On a side note, here is how much $$$ was reported to the IRS 2007-2008

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/2094/how-the-big-12-teams-rank-in-revenue-sharing-funds

And here's how the BCS-affiliated conferences rank:

1. Big Ten: $154.2 million
2. ACC: $137.6 million  
3. SEC: $135 million
4. Big 12: $103.1 million
5. Pac-10: $80.1 million
6. Big East: $77.6 million

Source: Omaha World-Herald

TJ

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »
So in this bright-eyed reporter's (and I use that term loosely) eyes, Marquette is on the same level of non-football schools as Seton Hall, Depaul and St. John's, rather than on the Georgetown/Villanova level?

Perhaps he's forgotten Marquette has a better BIG EAST conference record in the past 5 years than the Mountaineers.
This isn't about wins and losses, it is 100% about money.  Remember that and it'll go a long way toward helping make sense of what's happening across the college sports world.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 03:08:01 PM »

Some things are so obviously sarcastic they don't need teal.   (or so I thought...)
thanks.  I was hoping you'd say that.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 03:11:04 PM »
Seton Hall and Prov.College do? I 'll take the Milwaukee and Chicago market.

Seton Hall provides an in to the NY/NJ market, and Providence controls the Big East(look where all of the commissioners have come from). 

Remember, the football schools didn't want us there in the first place, and they only did it to appease the basketball schools.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 03:34:11 PM »
Seton Hall provides an in to the NY/NJ market, and Providence controls the Big East(look where all of the commissioners have come from). 

Remember, the football schools didn't want us there in the first place, and they only did it to appease the basketball schools.
Seton Hall might be in the NJ market, but nobody cares about them.
-Bill Walton

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 03:35:19 PM »
Memphis ain't happening, even with the FedEx money being tossed around.  Reason being?

Tier 4 academically per US News and World Report.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-colleges/2010/03/15/athletic-conference-breakdown-2010-conference-usa.html

Remember the reason for the stink BC raised over Cincy and Louisville being offered in 2003?

Academics.

Why were Syracuse, Rutgers, ND, and Pitt enticing to the Big Ten in the last round of expansion?  

Academics.

The Big East already has 7 tier 3 schools, so I think them to reach even further to invite another Tier 3 (Cincy) and Tier 4 (Memphis) could indeed backfire in the end and force movement of some of the eastern schools to the Big Ten.
The General has taken on a new command.

the eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »
Not siting anything, this is a question I'm directly asking...can a conference even just simply push out someone against that institutions will (besides perhaps breaking rules)?  I have no fear in thinking that Marquette is leaving the Big East in the near future, but I am not sure i can see a conference (and I don't just mean the Big East) suddenly deciding "oh hey, we don't really like this school....tossed..."

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 04:35:08 PM »
The BE voted out Temple due to underwhelming financial support for their football program as well as poor attendance and results.

And when I say that the BE voted them out, I actually mean the football schools (basketball schools were not allowed to participate in the Temple vote). They needeed TWO of the seven votes to remain a member but did not get them (in fact, I dont think they got even one vote).

And I dont think the BE would simply vote a member out for the sake of shrinking the basketball side of the conference. The football schools simply dont like the basketball schools and vice-versa. Eventually, I believe they will vote to split the conference. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 05:04:36 PM »
These types of articles are going to surface until the dust settles on the conference re-alignment.  Maybe when the Big East thought that they were going to lose Rutgers and Notre Dame, they had two schools on hold to try to patch up the conference, and maybe a third was involved.  Who knows. 

I don't know if it makes sense for the Big East to weaken itself in hoops, which dropping us would do.  Football is king now, and it probably will be for the next 30 years at least, but who is to say that hoops won't become more profitable in the future?  Maybe the NBA makes players stay longer, maybe exciting players come up, maybe a lot of different things happen. 

Bball already makes money, and who is to say that it won't do more in the future.  In 1975, would anyone guess the NBA would get the ratings it had in the 1990s? 

A lot of this football re-alignment makes sense money-wise and I cannot blame the conferences really.  It all seems a little hasty though, so hopefully the Big East sees that and does not do anything too rash.  MU's ability to make money in hoops would be dumb to give up on a knee-jerk reaction.  I think we have done our conference proud since we have been in it.  I think we will be all right until the other big conferences try to expand again, if at all.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 05:11:50 PM »
It is nice to point out how much conferences are distributing to football schools. However, that is revenue and not profit. I would think at some point schools are going to consider dropping football, if they are not in one of the big paying conferences.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »
These types of articles are going to surface until the dust settles on the conference re-alignment.  Maybe when the Big East thought that they were going to lose Rutgers and Notre Dame, they had two schools on hold to try to patch up the conference, and maybe a third was involved.  Who knows. 

I don't know if it makes sense for the Big East to weaken itself in hoops, which dropping us would do.  Football is king now, and it probably will be for the next 30 years at least, but who is to say that hoops won't become more profitable in the future?  Maybe the NBA makes players stay longer, maybe exciting players come up, maybe a lot of different things happen. 

Bball already makes money, and who is to say that it won't do more in the future.  In 1975, would anyone guess the NBA would get the ratings it had in the 1990s? 

A lot of this football re-alignment makes sense money-wise and I cannot blame the conferences really.  It all seems a little hasty though, so hopefully the Big East sees that and does not do anything too rash.  MU's ability to make money in hoops would be dumb to give up on a knee-jerk reaction.  I think we have done our conference proud since we have been in it.  I think we will be all right until the other big conferences try to expand again, if at all.
I suspect FB will no longer be king within 20 years as the USA continues its march to diversity and the the boomer generation faes away.  Other sports, soccer?, will take over.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »
I suspect FB will no longer be king within 20 years as the USA continues its march to diversity and the the boomer generation faes away.  Other sports, soccer?, will take over.

Right, for all we know soccer and hockey will be king in 20 years.  I would say it is unlikely, but who knows what kids are going to end up choosing to play I guess.  Maybe in 25 years we will be talking about how basketball is king because the NCAA starts broadcasting globally and it blows viewership of football out of the water.  Who knows? 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 05:29:46 PM »

Just a small point here. The Mayan calendar ends in 2012. Doesn't predict anything.
That would be like picking up a 2010 SI swimsuit calendar and claiming SI predicts the world ends Dec 31st this year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 05:31:59 PM »

They've been saying that about soccer for the past 30 years.

Football is pretty much perfectly suited for our society.  Short-season...almost every game on the weekends.  Who knows?  You could be right..

bma725

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »
Seton Hall might be in the NJ market, but nobody cares about them.

Doesn't matter whether or not people care.  What matters is that they are part of the market, and thus could get a potential Big East TV network into that area.

boyonthedock

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »
Mayan calender ends in 2012 because all the mayans were murdered by europeans

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 07:26:56 PM »
According to that ranking Nova is the #1 school in the country?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/villanova-pa/villanova-3388

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
Football is very likely to be the king fish 30 years from now, unless we move to a society that adopts a Rollerball spectator sport mentality.

80,000 seat stadiums costing 100's of millions of dollars will pretty much ensure that football remains king.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
According to that ranking Nova is the #1 school in the country?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/villanova-pa/villanova-3388

Nova is not ranked #1 in the national university category....Villanova is ranked number 1 in the Universities-Masters North category.  Apparently they offer very few PhDs?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2010, 07:41:31 PM »

According to the "About us" link in this site-- this site is 3 months old, and the author is simply a former WVA poli sci major.

There is no more substance to this, than to any blowhard bs I throw up here (I know--  I am not a blowhard star--but I can dream/aspire).

Best way to get this idiot back for taking us into his crazy point, with absolutely no fact support?

Chant....

WE ARE....
MAR....SHALL
WE ARE...
MAR...SHALL
THE BEST SCHOOL IN WEST VIRGINIA
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2010, 08:31:14 PM »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2010, 09:18:13 PM »
I know if MU wanted to leave they would have to pay a penalty buyout. Without the conference disbanding can they kick you out without compensating you?

I was wondering this also.  Highly doubtful in my estimation.  If a conference has an issue with the effort a school is putting into their sports program, they will vote in some minimum requirements that the effected school is unlikely to meet.  I believe that that is what happen to Temple's football program getting the boot from the Big East previously.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 09:28:43 PM »
According to the "About us" link in this site-- this site is 3 months old, and the author is simply a former WVA poli sci major.

There is no more substance to this, than to any blowhard bs I throw up here (I know--  I am not a blowhard star--but I can dream/aspire).

Best way to get this idiot back for taking us into his crazy point, with absolutely no fact support?

Chant....

WE ARE....
MAR....SHALL
WE ARE...
MAR...SHALL
THE BEST SCHOOL IN WEST VIRGINIA

Exactly, the guy links to a sports story about the Big East being rumored to offer invites to Memphis and Central Florida next week.  All the stuff about tossing out other schools was totally the idea of the yahoo who posted.  It kind of reminds be of our recent thread where someone advocated dumping Providence.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2010, 01:09:42 AM »
Exactly, the guy links to a sports story about the Big East being rumored to offer invites to Memphis and Central Florida next week.  All the stuff about tossing out other schools was totally the idea of the yahoo who posted.  It kind of reminds be of our recent thread where someone advocated dumping Providence.
yes..I doubt providence board lit up with a "report" MU wanted them out of the BE league.

When we "bite" on such an obviously baseless, one man's opinion piece, we risk being seen by others as undiscerning readers. Until something gets beyond the twitter world to a report by a known news source, its little more than typing.

Even then...The internet's unreliability is such that, sadly, I have  seen ESPN guys "report", as stories, items which are still only... one man's twit.

Thats a funny word..."one mans twit" ..

..it sounds like a term to add to the current "Dimes"  lexicon of, "drama queen", "blowhard"," reach around", and "anal retentive school girls".  lol

feedback