Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Complete BCS redesign (just for fun, relax!)  (Read 1675 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Complete BCS redesign (just for fun, relax!)
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:31:37 AM »
Quick explaination:  Setting up for football, trying to keep all schools with rivals (where possible!!!), and in same regional area (not possible in some situations).  Some teams are packs and harder to move around.  Added a few schools to BCS.  NON-football schools get tacked onto each BCS conference (as evenly as possible) for basketball season.  Added them with a *

BCS North (14 teams)
EAST DIVISION
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern
Purdue
Indiana
Notre Dame
*Dayton
WEST DIVISION
Wisconsin
Iowa
Illinois
Minnesota
Missouri
Iowa State
Nebraska
*Marquette

BCS East (14 teams)
NORTH DIVISION
Penn State
Pittsburgh
UConn
Syracuse
BC
Rutgers
WVU
*Villanova
SOUTH DIVISION
Maryland
Clemson
FSU
Georgia Tech
UVA
VT
Miami
*Providence/SJU (though SJU is pretty far from these schools... not that Providence isn't either)

BCS South (14 teams)
EAST DIVISION
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Arkansas
Miss st.
Mississippi
Auburn
*Butler? I realize they are in Indiana, but this is the closest I could get them.
WEST DIVISION
Texas
T A&M
Baylor
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
OK St.
LSU
*SLU/Depaul? (Either team would get murdered and make no money here)

BCS Central (14 teams)
EAST DIVISION
Wake Forest
UNC
NC St.
Duke
South Carolina
South Florida
Vanderbilt
*Georgetown
WEST DIVISION
Louisville
Cincinatti
Memphis
Kansas
Kansas State
Kentucky
Tennessee
*Xavier

BCS West (14 teams)
NORTH DIVISION
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Colorado
Cal
Boise State
*Gonzaga
SOUTH DIVISION
UCLA
USC
Stanford
Arizona
Arizona St.
TCU (long way from Ft. Worth out to the west   :-\)
San Diego State??
*New Mexico???? (see below)

I realize I left out UCF.  Sorry, I didn't have a place for them, maybe you guys can shuffle these around better than I did, but unfortunately, they are the odd man out at this time.  We could make some of the teams out west be 'basketball invite only' schools... New Mexico... but I don't know.  Fitting in the basketball schools was very difficult, and I think that is sort of the point... Conference realignment is sort of like conference suicide for the non-football schools.

14 team leagues are nice, but have their flaws (match making and tournaments come to mind, but not everyone has to play everyone, and not everyone has to play in the tourney).

Thoughts, ideas, criticism welcome... This is a work in progress more than anything.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:26:49 AM by Hards_Alumni »

HoopsMalone

• All American
Re: Complete BCS redesign (just for fun, relax!)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 09:39:19 AM »
St. John's and DePaul would be in as basketball only schools based on the markets they would provide and their histories.  Probably over Providence and SLU.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »
St. John's and DePaul would be in as basketball only schools based on the markets they would provide and their histories.  Probably over Providence and SLU.

ha! good point on SLU, I had Depaul where Dayton is, but forgot about Dayton, and forgot to switch Depaul to where SLU was.

fixed!

I couldn't find a place for SJU.  I realize they had good runs back when they could cheat, but they are as irrelavent as Providence at the moment, so I just picked one over the other... I'll add a /SJU.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »
Maybe a redesign is ideal rather than just trying to make 6 conferences into 4 or 5.

And unless they scratch the NCAA hoops tourney, I think adding the private schools you listed would be a net present value for them.  And, I would be very happy if the way things are blows up and Marquette is fortunate enough to be one of those hoops schools. 

I would also expect some BCS North, West Division championships out of Marquette if that is how things shook out. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:01:20 AM »
Maybe a redesign is ideal rather than just trying to make 6 conferences into 4 or 5.

And unless they scratch the NCAA hoops tourney, I think adding the private schools you listed would be a net present value for them.  And, I would be very happy if the way things are blows up and Marquette is fortunate enough to be one of those hoops schools. 

I would also expect some BCS North, West Division championships out of Marquette if that is how things shook out. 

I completely agree, the competition is somewhat weaker in the west... only ILL and UW to worry about, and to a lesser extent Mizzou

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 11:21:47 AM »
a re-alignment like that makes too much sense for it to ever be done.

also, what about Gonzaga? They would have to be in the BCS West somewhere.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »
a re-alignment like that makes too much sense for it to ever be done.

also, what about Gonzaga? They would have to be in the BCS West somewhere.

good point, removed UNLV, replaced with Gonzaga.

not sure how I overlooked them.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:09 AM »
If the football schools do the thing where they leave the NCAA and start their own tourney, then MU, Gonzaga, etc. are screwed.  But, if they keep the NCAA tourney as is, I was under the impression that the NCAA tourney is where the money is made.  Why not take teams that have a decent chance at getting an at-large bid?  It fits with the trend of trying to hoard as much money as possible to these conferences.  Why let "the Catholic League" pocket MU, Georgetown, and Villanova's money when the BCS leagues could take it?