Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2010 Recruit Steadman Short (6'9" PF) Visited Friday (May 7) And Was Offered!!  (Read 30720 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Could a second player be leaving or not qualifying?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/marshall/basketball/recruiting/player-Steadman-Short-102608

Says that 6'9' PF Steadman Short was on campus this Friday (May 7) and was offered.

He is a Juco from Chipola College (Florida) and backed out of Marshall when they changed coaches (supposedly picked them over WVU)

Here is an article from Saturday

http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/5/8/1463680/looking-at-marylands-juco-options

The other major possibility is the awesomely named Steadman Short, a former Marshall signee from Chipola CC in Florida. Originally at High Point, Short averaged about 7 points and 6 boards his freshman year. He went the JuCo route after the High Point coach left, and qe quickly committed to Marshall over (reportedly) West Virginia and Indiana. Marshall HC Donnie Jones recently left for Central Florida, so Short is now back on the market. Rivals has Marquette as the leader, with Maryland and Ole Miss on the radar.

Short possesses great size at 6-9 and is reportedly athletic enough to play on the perimeter. The Marshall coach said about as much, and also praised his work ethic:

"Steadman is very versatile with his size and skill and will give us the ability to play him on the perimeter," Jones said. "He reminds me, with his tenacity and athleticism, of former Gator Corey Brewer. Steadman loves to play and he has a great work ethic."

Meanwhile, a Marshall-area journalist calls him a "tall forward" with the "potential to play on the perimeter"; he's not a SF, according to this guy.

There's not a ton of information online about Steadman's situation, so judging Maryland's involvement is difficult. Rivals has a story on an official decommitment, though, so it appears that we'll hear more soon.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:20:00 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Markusquette

• All American
Interesting

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
This development raises more questions than answers.

Is a guy who averages 7 boards and 6 rebounds at JC going to be a big near term contributor or is he another project with less eligibility?

If he commits, who else leaves?

Does he only have one year of JC under his belt (the article talks about his freshman JC averages) and thus has 3 years of eligibility? 

Does he have any JC honors like almost all our other JC commits?  If he does, what are they?

What does Buzz see to be his role on the team?

I trust Buzz, but I am just trying to understand this one. 

TVDirector

• All American
I read it as 7 boards and 6 rebounds at High Point, before transferring for a year at JC....

this is an interesting development- not sure what I think of it if it means one of our incoming frosh are not qualifying.

willie warrior

• All American
I do not feel the tingle running down my leg over this as...

Why do we need a 7 point Juco scorer over what we have? Not getting this at all. This is not interesting---more like it makes no sense--unless we are losing a bunch of guys and Williams is getting desperate. I find this tremendously hard to believe.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:18:48 AM by mu_hilltopper »
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
I'm figuring the program knows someone is transferring. That will not be announced until he finishes finals and the semester ends. Actually prefers this route, if it comes to this, rather than an incoming freshman not qualifying.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
I'm shocked by this especially considering the "Noreen ultimatum."

However, the one thing this would do is better even out the classes rather than having 5 freshmen next year.  If he has two years of eligibility left, that would put him in a three person class with Crowder and DJO.

As a side note, in looking at the scholarship table, every single one of our juniors and seniors next year are JC transfers. 

nyg

• All American

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I'm figuring the program knows someone is transferring. That will not be announced until he finishes finals and the semester ends. Actually prefers this route, if it comes to this, rather than an incoming freshman not qualifying.

I initially thought this and realized this also makes no sense.  

If you are going to transfer, you need to line up your transferring school (remember you will take up a schollie as you sit out a year).  If you start the process in late May, you really limit your options as spots at other schools fill up (see MU).  

Considering the names we throw around that might transfer, meaning the bottom of the bench, these guys are not good enough to have worked out a transfer and have the transferring school hold a spot open for them until the formal announcement in late May, unless they are going to a D2 school. The transferring school risks a potential transferring player having a change of heart or picking another school.  

The bottom if the bench is not worth this risk.  This means we might be looking at two incoming freshmen not qualifying.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:57:45 AM by AnotherMU84 »

MauraDay

• Team Captain

As a side note, in looking at the scholarship table, every single one of our juniors and seniors next year are JC transfers. 
[/quote]

How do people feel about the influx of JC's? I honestly don't know how I feel about it, but was wondering if anyone else has a strong feeling one way or the other.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
I do not feel the tingle running down my leg over this as Chris mathews did over his butt boy Obama.

Why do we need a 7 point Juco scorer over what we have? Not getting this at all. This is not interesting---more like it makes no sense--unless we are losing a bunch of guys and Williams is getting desperate. I find this tremendously hard to believe.

Read the article, he averaged 7 points as a freshman at High Point... which is not a Juco.

Maybe you need that tingle
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Tugg Speedman

• All American
How do people feel about the influx of JC's? I honestly don't know how I feel about it, but was wondering if anyone else has a strong feeling one way or the other.

Jucos have a bad reputation ... they went to Juco because they could not go to a four year college straight away, either academics or discipline.  That is the concern everyone has with them.

DJO, Buycks, Crowder, Butler, Fucle ... we could see a game next year where all five starters are Jucos.

It seems like Buzz is exploiting a market inefficiency in finding good players in Jucos.  Who else is getting this level of talent out of Jucos right now?  So as long as our Jucos do not live up to this reputation, I do not have a problem with it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:07:36 AM by AnotherMU84 »

GGGG

• All American
Jucos have a bad reputation ... they went to Juco because they could not go to a four year college straight away, either academics or discipline.  That is the concern everyone has with them.

But that's not accurate.  DJO, Fulce and Butler, and if he comes here even Short, were full qualifiers coming out of high school and went the JUCO route to improve their choices.  Buycks and Crowder were not.

However, I don't have a problem with JUCOs in general.  Buzz definately needed them to balance out the classes.  Unless I am misremembering something, the only seniors we would have had next year would have been Hazel and Christopherson had they not transferred.  The decommits of Nick Williams and Tyshawn Taylor, along with the McMorrow injury, means that the junior class needed the JUCOs.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
But that's not accurate.  DJO, Fulce and Butler, and if he comes here even Short, were full qualifiers coming out of high school and went the JUCO route to improve their choices.  Buycks and Crowder were not.

I was talking about the general reputation of Jucos among fans, not the specific circumstances of our players.

I still believe my characterization is accurate and why so many fans "look down" upon them.

willie warrior

• All American
Read the article, he averaged 7 points as a freshman at High Point... which is not a Juco.

Maybe you need that tingle
I read the article--does not indicate what High point is. is it a HS, a prep school, a Military School or simply the top of the hill? At any rate, how does a 7 point scorer help us? Sounds to me like he might help weigh down the bunch. We do not need to waste a shollie we do not have on this.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
I read the article--does not indicate what High point is. is it a HS, a prep school, a Military School or simply the top of the hill? At any rate, how does a 7 point scorer help us? Sounds to me like he might help weigh down the bunch. We do not need to waste a shollie we do not have on this.

I'm 99% sure high point is a small university in north Carolina. they are div 1 in baseball but not sure about basketball - Sal bandos son was the baseball coach there. so there's my useless sports trivia for the day.

Galway03

• Walk-On
Wow, it looks like the train has left the station on this one for a bunch of folks who seem to pride themselves in basketball knowledge.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
Here is a link to Short's record at High Point.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/players/82285/

He apparently went to Chipola JC when the High Point coach left after a terrible season. Looking at his numbers there. he did show some nice rebounding games against some decent competition.

Couldn't find much about his numbers at Chipola other than a 22 point game and another at 13. Apparently he signed with Marshall but was later released when their coach left.

Finally a dunk of his on You Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2OfACfbnpM

Doesn't look like he has any range from his numbers and FT % but seems to board well.
Players win awards but teams win championships

GOMU1104

• All American
A couple of things...

-When he was at High Point University, he was coached by Bart Lundy...who is currently on MU's coaching staff. So there is the connection.

But that's not accurate.  DJO, Fulce and Butler, and if he comes here even Short, were full qualifiers coming out of high school and went the JUCO route to improve their choices.  Buycks and Crowder were not.

-A common misconception amongst MU fans about our Jucos...Even though they only spent 1 year at JUCO, neither DJO or Fulce were qualifiers out of HS.  After 4 years in HS, both needed prep school before Juco.

-Buzz will continue to recruit the JUCO ranks. I wouldn't be surprised if we had 1 per class. It is what he knows, has alot of contacts, and it and what he is comfortable with.

Mayor McCheese

• All American

Well... then instead of making incorrect statements, do some research... all it takes is to type "High Point" into google and you get your answer

http://www.highpointpanthers.com/

They are a university, D1

7 point 6 boards as a freshman... who has some size... beats any big man we have had in the past decade that played for MU as a frosh
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Hards Alumni

• All American
I'm sure High Point plays against some real stellar teams.

NCMUFan

• All American
Bart Lundy-MU Director of Operations was High Point's Head coach.  Maybe he was familiar with Steadman.  

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Even when we try to get big guys, they're still short!
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

4everwarriors

• All American
So, now we're all getting a hard-on for a player nobody knew yesterday.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"