[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wiki question  (Read 5056 times)

bma725

• All American
Wiki question
« on: May 07, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »
Hopefully this makes sense.....

When you go to a player's bio page, many of them have the high school set up with a link that when you click it takes you to a page containing a list of everyone who ever played for MU and attended that high school....i.e. when you click the Hillcrest link in Jerel McNeal's bio, you get a list of Jerel, Mo, and ODB.

I know there has to be a way to do the same sort of thing for the player's city as well, i.e. put a list together of every player from Milwaukee or New York or wherever, but I don't have a clue on how that is done.  Is there some simple way to do something like that so that sort of thing would be searchable?  I tried looking at the code for the search page in a couple of the school pages, but they appear to have been manually created.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Wiki question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »
Uhh .. I think all pages are manually created.

I.E., someone edited Jerel's page, and included a link to a high school page they created called "Hillcrest" .. then they found the 3 people who went there, and manually added them to the Hillcrest page.

So .. how would you do that for other players and their "city"?  You'd edit a player's page, change the text in their city field to point to a page for that city .. then create/edit the page of that city to include a link back to the player.

Sorry .. there's nothing automatic in the wiki, it's all just a series of manually edited pages.  The only "automatic" one is a search page, I suppose.

I think Wikipedia has some cool software that does stuff like that, though.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
Yeah the only thing I can think of would be to go down the all-time player list, find out where they are from, then add them to a city page accordingly.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »
Not really what you're looking for, but one cool feature....if you add "?do=backlink" to a wiki URL, it will show you all the pages that link to the current one.  For example, for McNeal:

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/jerel_mcneal?do=backlink

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 01:25:04 PM »
If the wiki supported categories, I think that'd be the ideal way to do it.  Don't think this software does, however.

feedback