[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is going to Prep School?  (Read 22439 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Who is going to Prep School?
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2010, 04:48:20 PM »

I know they aren't legally beholden.  I mean even ethically beholden.  Or even beholden because of the Mac Irvin connection.

I am very confident that if Reggie goes prep, he will never play for MU.

If RS goes prep just to improve his grades, then don't you think he's likely to sign with MU in the early signing period in November?  Sounds to me like Buzz would still be extending the offer at that point if those were the circumstances.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »
If RS goes prep just to improve his grades, then don't you think he's likely to sign with MU in the early signing period in November?  Sounds to me like Buzz would still be extending the offer at that point if those were the circumstances.

Why do you assume that?  Would Reggie still want to come here?  Would we still want him?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »

No, cats change there minds. Were you ever 18 years old? Oh, and coaches change their minds too.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2010, 07:42:56 PM »
I think whoever goes to prep school will not be coming back. I also think even Buzz does not know who that is at this point. I think Buzz is oversigned, because in his first two years he had a player quit the team prior to the start of school year and he expects it to happen again. It is not unreasonable to assume that one of the seven new comers will decide that they do not want to work as hard as Buzz is going to push them. Sending one to prep school only happens, if no one decides to quit. That player will not be happy and will not come back to MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2010, 08:39:11 PM »
I think whoever goes to prep school will not be coming back. I also think even Buzz does not know who that is at this point. I think Buzz is oversigned, because in his first two years he had a player quit the team prior to the start of school year and he expects it to happen again. It is not unreasonable to assume that one of the seven new comers will decide that they do not want to work as hard as Buzz is going to push them. Sending one to prep school only happens, if no one decides to quit. That player will not be happy and will not come back to MU.

You are off base here.  The player going to prep school knows he's going to prep school and will not be here in the summer.  I think the guess is Smith since he wasn't here the past weekend.  It also won't be because they don't want to work hard.  IMO, it will be because of grades.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2010, 08:47:34 PM »
I agree.  I believe that it's a grades thing with one of the Frosh.  Buzz is not tossing a player.  I won't speculate who the player might be because these kids read the boards and who am I to guess.  I hope they are all successful.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2010, 09:06:21 PM »
Sultan and 4ever I think you guys are being a little critical and cynical.  4ever you recall the days of Al stashing players in Jucos and Prep schools

What would be so sinister of the following and why would the player not still be interested in Mu or vice versa?

Say it is Smith..

1.  he does not have the grades and Buzz stashes him at St. John's is able to keep him close and a part of the program .  he can come to a bunch of games and have a realiatvely close relationship with the program while playing at a very high level and be ready to go for 2011.

2. he suggestes to Smith that with Blue, junior , new bill and Buycks and DJo he might position himself better by spending a year at a prep school playing against elite competition and starting and probably starring at Prep school versus being the 3rd Pg and probably the 4th or 5th 2g on the team.  that with a year in Prep Buycks graduates, Djo becomes a Senior and they space out the classes at the Pg and Sg spots.  Again he keeps him close by and part of the program.  very similar to a redshirt yet the kid gets to play the whole year and not use a year of eleigibilty.

Either situation are great if both the player and Buzz are fully committed to each other and the player wants to play at Mu and Mu fully wants the playr.  I think each scenario is potentially great for the player and Mu and i would have no problem with either scenario

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2010, 09:09:49 PM »
Dimes, that is exactly the scenario that I am envisioning. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »
Dimes, that is exactly the scenario that I am envisioning. 

Agree with both you and Dimes.  As I'd posted earlier, when Reggie signed with MU he was estatic, and talked about how much he wanted to be at MU.  I get that he is 18 and things can change..but..if it is him..and it is academics..and he cannot qualify to play D-1 ball for MU (or anyone else for that matter) why would he have bitterness toward MU??  What could happen would be that he have an amazing year at prep school, and all of the "marquee" programs coming calling:  UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke....and then Reggie decides to change HIS mind.  I don't see Buzz pulling the offer from him just because he didn't qualify this year academically.

I really hope Reggie makes it to MU either this year or next, because I think he is going to be a dynamite player.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »
CD,
The best example of Al stashing a player was Jerome Whitehead out of Waukegan. Was sent to Al's friend, Bill Mulligan, who coached at Saddleback JC in California. Later Mulligan moved on to coach Cal-Irvine.
I think it's different now, however. Let's say Player A is "stashed." And suppose that player matures on the court while prepping and improves as a baller by a factor of 10. All of a sudden Roy, Mike, Cal, and Self come sniffin'. His handlers get into his ear and convinces him MU is dog meat compared to the Top 5 programs now diggin' his droppings. Bam, Player A is no longer ticketed for MU. Likewise, maybe Player A sucks sewer water and Buzz, one year later, is able to land a 5 star stud who plays the same spot as Player A. Adios, it was nice knowing you.
I think the likelihood both parties fall out of love, while Player A is in prep school, is virtually certain.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2010, 10:30:22 AM »
Just remember the November signing period kicks in before the prep school player is likely to explode next season. 

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »
CD,
The best example of Al stashing a player was Jerome Whitehead out of Waukegan. Was sent to Al's friend, Bill Mulligan, who coached at Saddleback JC in California. Later Mulligan moved on to coach Cal-Irvine.
I think it's different now, however. Let's say Player A is "stashed." And suppose that player matures on the court while prepping and improves as a baller by a factor of 10. All of a sudden Roy, Mike, Cal, and Self come sniffin'. His handlers get into his ear and convinces him MU is dog meat compared to the Top 5 programs now diggin' his droppings. Bam, Player A is no longer ticketed for MU. Likewise, maybe Player A sucks sewer water and Buzz, one year later, is able to land a 5 star stud who plays the same spot as Player A. Adios, it was nice knowing you.
I think the likelihood both parties fall out of love, while Player A is in prep school, is virtually certain.

4ever i agree with everything that you state being a possibility.  However, I see the possibility of your two possiblities happening to be less likely than "certain".  First of all Buzz signed him becuase he liked him.  I think we have all realized at this point that unlike the 9 years before Buzz that this coach just doesnt sign anyone.  Buzz has said he will only sign players that he thinks are High major players.  So not sure what transpires between now and Novemeber that would change Buzzes mind... he seemed to do very well this year for Thorton and has held or increased his rankings.  On the flip side he could "expode" and the likes of UNC could come calling but the label of a SG ina PG's body, etc. wont go away between now and Novemeber.  Additonally, Buzz keeps him close, bing an hour away he can attend most home games, etc.

based on your thiking ...it's "certainty"  how did Whitehead ever make it to MArquette?   

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2010, 01:37:04 PM »
Perhaps I should have said "unlikely" rather than "certain." I still contend the landscape has changed and it is my opinion that whomever goes the prep school route, will never return.
J, by the way, was placed in JC 34 years ago, in a friend's program with express purpose of qualifying him for MU. He played the 5. The player we're speculating on is an under-sized 2 guard or at best, a combo guard. I'll go out on a limb and say if this scenerio plays out, Buzz recruits right over him, Mac Irvin or not.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"