[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bagdad Surge Working already?  (Read 10306 times)

Murffieus

• All American
Bagdad Surge Working already?
« on: February 24, 2007, 10:44:09 AM »
Looks like we're off to a good start!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070224/ts_nm/iraq_dc

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Bagdad Surge Working already?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 02:01:30 PM »
(scratching head)

Um .. how is "Fuel tanker bomb kills 37 in western Iraq" a good start?  I'm guessing you wanted to link to a different story?  Or is a "good start" that this story isn't about a fuel tanker bomb in Baghdad, that the insurgents have packed up and moved a few miles away and are avoiding the "surge"?   

.. oh, here's the good news, way at the bottom, after the 37 dead, an attack by bad guys .. aha, 426 bad guys were captured .. excellent news.  That leaves ~99,600 left to go.  Makin' progress.  Stay the course.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 06:18:46 PM »
Will the surge offset the British coming to their senses?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 08:11:54 PM »
Bagdad has been a lot less volitile only a few days after the surge has beguan------Anbar province where Al Quida is (where the bomb went off killing 37) will be next after Bagdad is secured!

BTW----all the British did was take 1,500 troops out of Iraq and send 1,500 troops to Afghanistan-----which is the other front of the war on terror.

Meanwhile the homeland is free of attack because Al Quida is bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 08:13:28 PM by Murffieus »

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 09:31:28 PM »
I hope the surge helps restore order in Bagdad. I'm no general so I'm really not qualified to say.

The war in Iraq turned a really messed up secular dictatorship into an even more messed up recruiting and training ground for Sunni extremists of all kinds, especially Al Qaeda.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 01:37:15 PM »
Yep, a lot of mistakes were made-----not enough troops in the initial invasion to keep the peace after. Sadr should have been taken out early on------IMO the generals we had there to fight the insurgency were more like sociologists then guerilla war planners!

Al Quida did increase it's membership in Iraq-----all the more reason we have to win there----for if we lose there, their ranks will swell geometrically with bigger problems down the road for us!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:56:52 PM »
add unnecessary conflict as saddam was already contained
add debathication policy that bremer "puppet" implemented
add elimination of the military
add lack of equipment
add lack of translators

OMG - what a disaster and when we are paying $6 a gallon, we all lose.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 07:35:38 PM »
mvaile----I hope you don't think those UN sanctions were going to go on adifinitum-----Duelfer our postwar weapons inspector said that Saddam retained the wherewithall to build WMD and indeed the intent to do so as soon as those UN sacntions were lifted. Saddam was buying off the UN with kickbacks out of the UN's oil for food program. Do you think he was going to stand pat while Iran was planning Nukes !

Saddam was no friend of the US-----who knows what other skullduggery he was involved in besides promoting suicide bombing against Isreal!

ilovefreeway

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 04:04:06 PM »
"Meanwhile the homeland is free of attack because Al Quida is bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan!"

Murf, what kept the homeland free of attack from 1776 to the first WTC bombing and the 1st to the 2nd?  Because I can't think of an attack for the first 200+ years of our nation and only two in total.  Was the war in Iraq keeping us safe then?

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 07:57:12 PM »
Well the homeland was under attack from foreigners  in the War of 1812 and under attack from inside in the Civil War------but what kept the Homeland free of attack since the civil war was World War l and World War ll----yes and even Vietnam-----(was the turning point in the cold war as communism never gained one inch of ground after that-----and in fact folded 15 years later)!

Using a football analogy-----would you rather be defendng on your territory or would you rather be on offense on the oppositions territory? Football is a war----the object is to protect your goalline (the homeland)!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 02:07:25 PM »
I believe our involvement in Europe was 1942-1945 during WWII and 1917-1919 for WWI.  We are now 4 years into this war - when will the surge produce a "victory"?

Or did we finally find a new spending vehicle to fuel our military industrial complex?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 05:08:41 PM »
There are no battle grounds in this war with defined lines drawn-----it's and ideological and guerilla type war that will be far more prolonged than anything we have ever seen.

Yes it is ideological as the moslem clerics and ayotollas are teaching the moslem youth that anyone who isn't or won't convert to Islam must be destroyed----especially Americans & Jews.

It's going to be a long battle----lose in Iraq or Afghanistan and it will be even longer!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 05:27:41 PM »
When has fighting an idea with guns ever worked?   You fight an idea with a better idea, not a illegal, pre-emptive war that ruins the country you are invading in the short run, and bankrupts your own country, both financially and morally, in the long run.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 10:02:52 PM »
it seems to me that if someones idea is to kill me, then my better idea is to defend myself.  what's yours?

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 02:17:01 PM »
As someone who has been to Iraq twice it is my humble opinion that we pull out.  Between my first and second rotation I saw tremendous improvements across the country, specifically with the Iraqi Security Forces.  During my last "stint" I was responsible for training one of those units and during my tenure with them they improved dramatically.  That being said they will never measure up to our standards.  Never will you see an Iraqi military force (or an muslim military force for that matter) exhibit the same standards and discipline that the united states military exudes.  Right now we've provided all the necessary training and tools for the Iraqi military and government to succeed.  WE've given them the keys to the vehicle now we have to let them drive it.  it's not going to be perfect and yes they will continue to make mistakes but we've done all that we can do to help them run their own show.  Currently we're like their older brother that steps in to fix every little problem they cause and because of this situation they've become too dependent on this.  The only way they will finally understand that they can fix their own situation is to finally make them realize that we are no longer going to be around to fix those problems.  Right now they don't try to improve any more because they know if they screw up we'll fix it.  More importantly, we'll fix it with our own money.  We need to remove ourselves as the Iraqi safety crutch and stop pouring money into the armpit of the world.

Again, just my humble opinion...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 03:32:10 PM »
Interesting stuff, muarmy81.  Thank you for posting .. and for your service!

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 09:11:06 PM »
muarmy----i agree with you ideally about throwing the Iraqi army into the pool and making them swim without the life guard around (the US army), but the question is WHEN do we do that?

IMO, it has to be done piecemeal with a long transition period-----when we leave it has to work or the moslem world will look at us as paper tigers and radical Islam's prestige, money, following, and arms will increase significantly, which can't be allowed to happen or there will be more Iraqs in the future and worse yet more attacks here in the USA!

You can't look at Iraq in isolation----it's part of a global war vs radical Islam !