Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oregon newspaper says UO has interest in Buzz  (Read 15577 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: Oregon newspaper says UO has interest in Buzz
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 12:19:57 PM »
Disagree. I want Buzz to stay at MU as much as anyone, but if he's offered a job that pays more and he believes would be a better situation for him and his family, I wouldn't fault him for leaving one bit. I have twice left jobs for more money and a better opportunity. I don't think that's a knock against my moral standards. I do feel, however, that the employee who's leaving has a responsibility to notify their employer, co-workers, and direct reports (for coaches, their players) and not allow them to hear it first from any other source.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I don't think you went around saying that you would be with your employer as long as they were willing to keep you, and at the same time talking about being honest at all times.  Buzz talks a great deal about character, and if he wants to talk that talk, he needs to walk the walk and hold true to his statement that he'll stay with MU as long as they'll have him.  I understand all the reasons Buzz needs to say what he says, but if he wants to be known as a man that holds true to his word, he needs to hold true to his word. 

Soulcoughin

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
I'm guessing you can't beat the Oregon chearleaders  :)

Where were all the Marquette fans at games when Mike Deane was coach?  Those were rough years.

Oregon:  1 NCAA basketball championship
Marquette 1 NCAA basketball championship

The Big East's reputation took a big hit after the poor performances in the tournament.  Even Oregon beat Washington this year.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 12:24:36 PM »

Do you honestly think that Buzz cares about the Oregon cheerleaders? 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 12:39:20 PM »

Is Buzz leaking his name for this job in order to get a raise?

We need to look to what Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish write.  Those guys seem closest to Buzz of any media.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 12:45:48 PM »
We need to look to what Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish write.  Those guys seem closest to Buzz of any media.

I asked this morning:

goodmanonfox    I don't think so. RT @TJGannon5: @goodmanonfox Looks like Oregon is targeting Buzz, should MU fans be worried?

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »

Where were all the Marquette fans at games when Mike Deane was coach?  Those were rough years.

The Big East's reputation took a big hit after the poor performances in the tournament.  Even Oregon beat Washington this year.

You also lost to them by 14 at home the second to last game of the season.  Also since this was a billed as a "down year" for both MU and the big east I don't think the reputation took that big of a hit.  Also the PAC 10 took a much bigger hit in terms of reputation by getting only 2 teams in the tournament and having all those players transfer out of the conference.  Not to mention we still had a winning record in conference and were better than .500 overall.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2010, 01:10:12 PM »
I love how people cavalierly spend other people's money.  If UO is willing to spend $2.4 million, they would be interviewing Self, Roy Williams and Izzo.  

Do you have any idea how much money this is?  DePaul was making noise that were going to spend big bucks, and they did.  They spent $1.6 on Purnell.  You think UO is going to give a coach with two years BE experience, never finishing above 5th, and 1 and 2 in the NCAA that kind of money?  You're nuts.

Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE Buzz and badly want him to stay.  But another school without the emotional attachment to Buzz would be out of their mind to spend money like this on that resume.

Side thought ... It seems like one way or another Jamil Wilson and Buzz are destine to be together.
On your first point, Kentucky set that bar a little higher than $2.4 million for the HIGH caliber coaches you mention.  But I agree with the rest of this post.  Until the last sentence.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2010, 01:28:41 PM »
If Buzz is a truth-teller, he is staying.   He has said his wife loves Milwaukee.   He has harped over and over again about how MU's mission matches his own values.   He would have to be a little less 'Christ-centric' at a state school.  MU will bump up his salary to a competitive level.   If a quantum leap in salary to a state school with deep pocketed boosters that is in a conference currently at a low point is what he wants, I will disagree with him like I did with TC, but like TC I will thank him for his service and wish him well.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »

Easy there.  Cheerleader and Mike Dean attendance jokes?  You know a lot about Marquette for an Oregon fan.  Though I think our cheerleaders are hot.

The Big East had a Final Four team this year which is more than the Pac-10, Big 12, and SEC can say.  And this was a year the Big East lost tons of players to graduation. 

We will probably talk about Buzz every time he is mentioned for a job because there is nothing else to talk about in the offseason.  But I can't imagine that Buzz spent more than half a second thinking about this one.  Great program out there in Oregon, and I am actually pretty shocked that they are still looking.  But Buzz seems to objectively like where he is.  He is not going to Oregon.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »

Very weak attempt.  Cheerleaders are always integral in luring head coaches, good point.  How about NCAA Basketball Championships post WWII?

During Deane's tenure MU was always in the top 30 in attendance (always between 11,000-12,000)...we've averaged under 10,000 once in the last 30 years...and that was 9,971.  Nice try.

28-10 NCAA Appearances.  

You're bringing up a prehistoric track star as a UO selling point is pretty hilarious.

Yes, UO beat Washington....the highlight of your .500 season....being swept by Oregon State and Stanford must have been a tough pill to swallow.

I forget, did the BE have a representative in the Final Four this year?  Granted, the Pac 10 only had two horses in the race.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2010, 02:17:15 PM »
What difference does it make whatever we think. You can spin this in any number of ways to fit an agenda. We don't know what makes Buzz tick, nor what has gone down to piss him off or make him happy. Who knows? Maybe his family has input. Are you choosing to stay put if your family doesn't dig where you work, especially if you're in demand? Maybe the sweet tea is better in Oregon? Maybe he has concerns with whomever is the next MU president? Maybe this and maybe that. Just sayin'.

And, maybe Buzz is just what he says he is and has laid out all his cards, digs MKE and will be the head coach until the Warriors nickname is returned.

It's a rare day when you and I agree 100%, but today is the day.

I know we all love to speculate, but anybody who really thinks they know what "drives Buzz" is lying.

We all know what Buzz SAYS, but he doesn't have a long track record we can look back on.

This is not a shot at Buzz, but rather a statement in reality. We just don't know the guy well enough to really make accurate statements about "where he will go" and "why".

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2010, 02:17:45 PM »
On your first point, Kentucky set that bar a little higher than $2.4 million for the HIGH caliber coaches you mention.  But I agree with the rest of this post.  Until the last sentence.

I get the feeling that many think $2.4 million/year is akin to a welfare check for college basketball coaches, let's set the record straight.  Here is the list of the 20 highest paid coaches on College basketball before the latest coaching changes (so you can add Oliver Purnell at $1.6 at DePaul on to this list).

http://www.americasbestonline.net/index.php/pages/collegebasketballcoaches.html

College Basketball Coaches Salaries - Top 20
1. John Calipari, Kentucky - $4,000,000
2. Billy Donovan, Florida - $3.000,000
3. Bill Self, Kansas - $3,000,000
4. Thad Matta, Ohio State - $2.500,000

5. Rick Pitino, Louisville - $2,250,000
6. Roy Williams, North Carolina - $2,000,000
7. Rick Barnes, Texas - $2,000,000
8. Sean Miller, Arizona - $2,000,00
9. Tubby Smith, Minnesota - $1.850,000
10. Anthony Grant, Alabama - $1,830,000
11. Tom Izzo, Michigan State - $1,735,000
12. Tony Bennett, Virginia - $1,700,000
13. Jim Calhoun, Connecticut $1,600,000
14. Bruce Pearl, Tennessee - $1,600,000
15. Ben Howland UCLA - $1,500,000
16. Tom Crean, Indiana - $1,480,000
17. Jamie Dixon, Pittsburg - $1,300,000
18. Jay Wright, Villanova - $1,300,000
19. Mike Krzyzewski Duke - 1,200,000
20. Jim Boeheim, Syracuse - $1,000,000

Calipari is a class to himself.  Only 4 coaches make more than $2.4 million a year.  That's it!  

I stand corrected, it is not a raise for Self, but it is for Roy Williams and Izzo (and a nice raise for Izzo).  It would be for Howland, Pearl and Wright.  This is who gets an interview for a $2.4 million/year job, not a coach with consecutive 5th place BE finishes.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:20:00 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2010, 02:21:03 PM »

That must really burn for Indiana...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2010, 02:25:48 PM »
It's a rare day when you and I agree 100%, but today is the day.

I know we all love to speculate, but anybody who really thinks they know what "drives Buzz" is lying.

We all know what Buzz SAYS, but he doesn't have a long track record we can look back on.

This is not a shot at Buzz, but rather a statement in reality. We just don't know the guy well enough to really make accurate statements about "where he will go" and "why".

who'd have known you'd think this?!!

no one knows anything, and to think anything or have an opinion is folly.

next time, just type that ;)

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »
We all remember Calhoun's rant about how he "makes a lot more money on top of his salary." For the "older" coaches, my guess is that their own 'brand' is worth several MM more per year. Coack K at 1.2 MM? I bet he's closer to 5 or more. Do USA Basketball coaches get paid?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2010, 02:31:58 PM »
I get the feeling that many think $2.4 million/year is akin to a welfare check for college basketball coaches, let's set the record straight.  Here is the list of the 20 highest paid coaches on College basketball before the latest coaching changes (so you can add Oliver Purnell at $1.6 at DePaul on to this list).

http://www.americasbestonline.net/index.php/pages/collegebasketballcoaches.html

College Basketball Coaches Salaries - Top 20
1. John Calipari, Kentucky - $4,000,000
2. Billy Donovan, Florida - $3.000,000
3. Bill Self, Kansas - $3,000,000
4. Thad Matta, Ohio State - $2.500,000

5. Rick Pitino, Louisville - $2,250,000
6. Roy Williams, North Carolina - $2,000,000
7. Rick Barnes, Texas - $2,000,000
8. Sean Miller, Arizona - $2,000,00
9. Tubby Smith, Minnesota - $1.850,000
10. Anthony Grant, Alabama - $1,830,000
11. Tom Izzo, Michigan State - $1,735,000
12. Tony Bennett, Virginia - $1,700,000
13. Jim Calhoun, Connecticut $1,600,000
14. Bruce Pearl, Tennessee - $1,600,000
15. Ben Howland UCLA - $1,500,000

Calipari is a class to himself.  Only 4 coaches make more than $2.4 million a year.  That's it!  

I stand corrected, it is not a raise for Self, but it is for Roy Williams and Izzo (and a nice raise for Izzo).  It would be for Howland, Pearl and Wright.  This is who gets an interview for a $2.4 million/year job, not a coach with consecutive 5th place BE finishes.
I said I agreed with you in general; it's just that you mentioned the coaches at three of the top 6 or 7 basketball programs in the country.  You can't expect any of the TOP guys to jump for that amount, including guys who have shown no interest in leaving their current situation like Izzo, Boeheim, and Calhoun.  There are a LOT of coaches who would jump for that much money, including a good amount of guys on that top 20 list.  Just not the ones you named.  

And the Calipari bar just got set.  No major openings have been filled since then.  Watch and see the next time one does; if they try to poach a HIGH level coach the money may not catch Cal, but it certainly isn't going to be less than $2.4 million.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2010, 02:32:04 PM »
who'd have known you'd think this?!!

no one knows anything, and to think anything or have an opinion is folly.

next time, just type that ;)

Opinion? Sure.

Repeat some tired coach cliches as if they are the holy grail and 100% truth:

"I'll be at MU as long as the will have me..."

That's silly and we all know better.

After 10 years of Buzz saying that stuff, we can make some educated guesses. Right now, people are just throwing crap against the wall.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »
in a vacuum, there is an argument to be made that the Oregon job is a better job than the Marquette job.  Now before everyone jumps down my throat, which is likely to happen anyway, let us all be thankful we don't live in a vacuum.  MU is a religious institution that fits in line with Buzz's beliefs.  MU gave Buzz his first major shot, an opportunity he isn't likely to forget.  Buzz has been outspoken in his desire to stay.

But Buzz aside, there is little doubt what a quality opportunity the Oregon job really is.  The program has a blank check for essentially everything.  Nike, boosters, etc will always ensure that facilities and perks are the top of the line at Oregon.  They will also guarantee that improvement is handsomely rewarded. Oregon is in a more stable conference situation in the Pac 10, as compared to the flux of the Big East, and it avoids the perennial peril that comes with being a basketball only school.  While I love MU, many will argue that the campus and atmosphere of UO are superior to the small downtown campus at MU.  

I love MU, this is by no means an anti-MU post.  But in our haste to dismiss rumors that Buzz is on his way out (rumors we are right to dismiss) lets not delude ourselves into doing so on the basis that Oregon is not a great job with incredible potential.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »
The one big drawback that Oregon has is that it is completely isolated recruiting wise.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2010, 03:02:07 PM »
New goal: Mutual feelings | Looking for genuine interest in its job, Oregon turns its lonely eyes toward coaches at Marquette and Dayton

By Bob Clark

{snip}

Where might this lead Kilkenny? He is known to have spent time in Dallas this week and is now reportedly in Indianapolis.

{snip}

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned.  Clearly Crean is interested in the job, and Bloomington is just a short drive.  Who else is he going to find to buy him out of his hole @ IU. 

As for Buzz, he's not going to Oregon.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »
The one big drawback that Oregon has is that it is completely isolated recruiting wise.

Not when you have Kenny Payne on your staff, and have connections to Nike and WWW.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »

Don't know what map you're reading, but Oregon is pretty close to California, where some recruits may hang out.
If Buzz can lure kids from Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, etc. to the tundra known as Milwaukee, rest assured he could bring them to Nike infested Eugene.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »

Remember the Houston radio interview Buzz gave a few weeks ago (too lazy to look up the link but their is a thread on it).  He talked about the time it takes to travel to see recruits.  Many worried that meant Milwaukee was too out of the way and he might want position in a better geographic location (i.e., Texas).

Right now Buzz is two hours from Texas, 20 minutes from JP and an hour from Chicago.  Now, go to Oregon and try and recruit the country.  Might as well take a job that requires "011" to call them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »
Not when you have Kenny Payne on your staff, and have connections to Nike and WWW.

And how's that worked out for them?  I keep hearing about the Nike and WWW connections, but I see no evidence that it has actually done anything substantive for their program.  A couple decent recruiting classes...two Elite 8 appearances...but beyond that, a bunch of mediocre basketball in a conference that's been complete crap the last few years.  And now they can't hire a coach despite all these connections and all this money.

Same with their football program.  Belotti is a good coach, but they performed about the same as UW did under Alvarez.

I just think that Oregon athletics seems all about potential, goofy uniforms and money...but not a lot about results on the field or on the court.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »

I doubt WWW is going to be relevant in college hoops much longer, and while I'm sure most NCAA coaches would queue for days to kiss the guy's Limited Edition AI Medallion, I don't think you'll ever see Buzz in that line.

Not to mention that the recruit who is going to sign with you just for a fresh pair of kicks probably isn't a kid you want on your team.  If that was such a big deal, why isn't Calipari building Mecca in Eugene?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.